lowkey hate chinese people... am i racist?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Theo35, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Theo35

Theo35 Celebrity

i am 75% indonesian and 25% chinese... (dont call me weird until you read this)
    i was bullied for 1 year in elementary school by them... even the teacher was hating me. until now i dont know exactly why i was bullied. i guess because i was not as rich and kind had darker skin tone (now i am not).
    i know this is so so wrong but i cant help it, it was really painful. i cried at least once a month (and got bullied more cus i am a male). teacher told me that i am stupid and i believed it for several years, and now i am a student in top 5 college.

i dont know, i just want to tell you guys this, since obviously i cant tell this to friend or family. thanks if you read this all.
    i wonder when finally i dont hate (lowkey) chinese people anymore...
    any of you experienced the same thing?

#1 Theo35, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. sugaeatsbree

sugaeatsbree Public Figure

bread dog (original)
    i don't really think so, because ur reason isn't because they're simply chinese it's because so many of them did awful things to you.

Theo35 likes this.
  3. Papayaaa

Papayaaa Public Figure

I'm sorry to hear that you got bullied and I hope you'll be able to get past that. I know how painful it is.
    But if you hate an entire race based on the behaviour of some individuals then yes, you're racist. You can hate parts of their culture (like colorism) but not every chinese individual because some are colorist. It doesn't make sense.

ninesoshi, Eleia, MOlilara and 5 others like this.
  4. Theo35

Theo35 Celebrity

its not like really hate them, but my standard to them kinda high.
    i also want get over with it but until now i cant

Papayaaa likes this.
  5. Ros_Pamplemouss

Ros_Pamplemouss Super Rookie

I would hate people being racist assholes to me too. You can't love people that refuse to respect you.

But you must always give a chance to individuals.

Theo35 and Papayaaa like this.
  6. ambersky11

ambersky11 Rookie

i hope you don't generalise all chinese people, because i'm from hong kong and i would never bully anyone no matter their race or skin color. i am sorry that you went through hard times and you certainly have the right to hate on the people who hurt you. however, i believe that not all chinese people are like that. there are nice chinese people out there and i hope that after you converse with some chinese individuals it may change your mind.

(also i grew up in international schools which is why we're quite educated in terms of respecting different people and cultures)

Eleia and Theo35 like this.
  7. monke

monke Feline Villain

i really want to say you shouldn't generalize, but a friend of mine (who actually 100% chinese but indonesian chinese, you get what i mean) who has kinda darker skin compared to her schoolmates experienced the same thing that made her traumatized until now. all this time i thought she's exaggerating coz the things they said to her was very harsh and i just can't believe people would say that to their friend just because of different skin color.
    i guess i owe her an apology, and i'm sorry that happened to you :(

Eleia, Theo35 and Cold_Wave like this.
  8. Papayaaa

Papayaaa Public Figure

The first step is to remember that kids naturally have very little compassion and mainly respond to instincts. They feel the need to step over others to avoid being the one stepped on. It's part if nature, like animals. It doesn't mean that you are less worthy. Now that you're growing older you'll see a shift in rules and it will be easier to find ways not to be eaten alive without being an asshole yourself.

You have to find your assets and cultivate them. It rarely happens overnight but eventually you will find more self-love and the shit that happened won't be relevant anymore. Focus on working on yourself. The you that exists now is the only thing that matters. The you that was being bullied doesn't exist anymore.

9. VVisual

VVisual Newbie

I'm sorry to hear that. Colorism is a bad trait across Asia and probably worse when it comes to East Asians like Chinese/Korean/Japanese versus SEA.

I'm Viet Hoa which means my family is ethnic Chinese from Vietnam. Both sides of my family are not 100 percent Chinese so I am like you. There are some members of my family who are darker or shorter than others and they get grief from even family members.

But to be honest, that kind of colorism come from the non-Chinese side too. Vietnamese like fair skin too and they are harsh on girls who tan too much. I know, they say this stuff to me every summer! One of my aunts married a filipino man who is a very nice person overall but he favors his light-skinned nieces. Everyone could see it but nobody really confronts him on it.

I hope you can get over your lowkey hate of them. There are good and bad individuals among all groups. There are bad attitudes like colorism among groups as well. But they are a part of your identity as well like they are part of mine.

#9 VVisual, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  10. Eleia

Eleia Public Figure

As someone who's Chinese-Cambodian, I'm very iffy with them, like they can be rude and snobby but I've also met some nice ones. Overall, you shouldn't generalize a population of 1.4 billion+ Those who leave a bad image of Chinese people doesn't apply to every Chinese person.

VVisual likes this.
  11. BlackBlossomCYT

BlackBlossomCYT Trendsetter

Professional Donghun Stan
    Omg you hate me? Cuz I'm Chinese...:(:(:(

Just kidding. I know there are many a**holes among my type of people, but please don't hate all of us because there are many kind and amazing Chinese, especially in Malaysia ^^

VVisual likes this.
  12. MJay14

MJay14 Super Rookie

Same. I went to a chinese school. I am malay fyi. And got bullied the whole year. I was 7 at that time... But boy some of them are racist af. And also when I was 13. And I left chinese school the same year and went to a standard school...

13. Unicorn_Pee

Unicorn_Pee Rookie

People can be assholes and kids are taught racism. No child is born knowing what hate is and it says more about the parents who taught the kids to bully you instead of showing empathy and compassion. Most likely their parents are trash and have terrible people relations as well.

I hope that some of those kids who bullied you, grew up to have a mind of their own, educated themselves, and turned into better people. I hope if they ever see you again, they remember how horrible they treated you, and apologize. If not, this says more about them as people than you.

Your teacher, as an adult and educator, should have known better. Educators are supposed to teach kids the foundations of being a good citizen. Not contributing to being racist punks.

You’ve done well for yourself in spite of the emotional trauma these jerks caused you. I don’t think you hate Chinese but you’re hurt from the experience you had with assholes who happen to be Chinese. And maybe you associate all Chinese to exhibit traits of asshole-ism.

I do believe the negativity that people put out will eventually catch up to them. If those who hurt you in the past never change, they’ll continue hurting countless others. Eventually, they may need help from someone they hurt and he/she may choose not to help them. You never know what fate has in the works for anyone. The one kid everyone picked on may one day be their boss.

That being said, please don’t let the ugliness and hatred of racism win. You’re better than those who hurt you. Continue being successful and strive to be the best that YOU can be for yourself and your family. Don’t let the darkness of your past consume the light inside of you. When you get older and living your best life, you’ll see how insignificant those people from elementary school were.

As others who are ethnically Chinese (myself included) have already posted, can you hate an entire race of people you haven’t met yet? Chinese diaspora spans across countries and even we’re separated into pockets of our own levels of “Chinese-ness.” I was born in the US but I’m not Chinese enough because I don’t follow most of the traditions and not nearly as fluent as a native. My family is from HK and well, we all know the stuff going on between Chinese and HKnese. We can’t even use the term HKnese without some mainland Chinese getting upset.

#13 Unicorn_Pee, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    VVisual and Zuko1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted