Let's talk about Kpop growth in Asia and Globally for the past decades

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by indra-ezekiel, Feb 17, 2020.

1. indra-ezekiel

indra-ezekiel Newbie

Currency:
    I've noticed this behaviour shift especially among young people in Asia (mostly) and other parts of the world as well. Kpop, anime (which is bigger than Kpop by miles) and Japanese musics etc are becoming everyone's favourite more than western musics, entertainments and such.

With the success of BTS, i think the impact is becoming more apparent than ever. They have become the representative of Asian music in the western market and US, something that no one has ever seen before.

Speaking about Boybands (asian boybands in particular), it's interesting how massively popular they have gotten over the past few decades. I mean in the 1990s you have the likes of H.O.T, SeoTaiji, SMAP among others who were the biggest boybands of their time, although they were massive in their own country and some part of Asia, they are still nothing compared to the latter acts whom i'll mention below.

2000s - 2010s was more interesting and intense with the pressence of Arashi, TVXQ!, F4, Kattun, and Super Junior who were literally the biggest boybands in Asia during that time especially TVXQ!. It's not even subjective anymore to say that TVXQ!'s success in Japan was the reason why many other companies and bands whom followed after their footsteps afterward found it easier to find profits and popularity there (this was stated by Oricon and many Music critics themselves over and over in the past), the band also was the leading force of 2nd Generation idol (they ARE the 2nd Gen Idol) in Asia during that decade, they proved this by selling out many stadiums in Japan, China, Korea and performing in arena across SEA, Taiwan etc etc. They broke and set new records in Japan for foreign artists such as topping the Oricon chart (twice) in 2018 which was the first Asian group to do so at the time, performing in Kouhaku Uta Gassen and became the first Non-Japanese Asian Group to perform in Tokyo Dome. Mind you, they did all of this prior to 2010 which is insane because Kpop at that point barely become trendy in Asia thanks to the late 2000s hit songs like Sorry Sorry, Mirotic, Gee, and Nobody. In 2010, JYJ (former TVXQ! members) became the 1st Kpop group to hold a World Tour and performed in Billboard

Fast forward to 2011 - onwards (till now), this where things started getting escalated quickly. At this point, the 2nd generation idols were still going strong and dominating the market. TVXQ! secured their legendary position in Japanese music markets by breaking many Number #1st records for foreign artists. Some of their records included becoming the first Non-Japanese asian group to have No1 Album on Oricon Weekly/Monthly Album & Single charts, becoming the first foreign artist to be invited to Kouhaku 3times, best-selling foreign artist in term of Singles sales, breaking Bon Jovi and The Beatles records for DVD sales, becoming the first foreign group to sell out Japan's famous 5 Domes and first foreign artist to perform in Nissan Stadium (twice) and much more etc. Super Junior managed to become a household name in Asia and Japan as well ever since the success of their 2009's Sorry Sorry. After several years of their debut, Bigbang managed to hit big across Asia and Japan around 2012 as well with the success of their album Alive (they were alraedy big in Korea prior to this point but they were not massive in Asia prior to 2012, as opposed to TVXQ! and Super Junior etc)

Notice that from 2010 - 2015, nothing big really happend outside of Asia aside from PSY's Viral hit and some buzz here and there about some groups topping random Kpop Billboard charts etc etc. Although PSY's success was massive it didn't really paved/make anything easier for the others to follow after his footsteps. The market was alraedy saturated at the time with many 2nd gen idols around and 3rd Gen idols debuting, Kpop was alraedy one of the staple genre in Japan and Asia at that point but not so much in the other parts of the world.

But then comes the BTS's craze which really took the music industry by storm and honestly, sometimes it still puzzles me how on earth they did it. It almost seems like they came out of nowhere if you didn't followed them from way back in 2013 - 2015 ish. But still, they are the first Kpop and Asian artist to have made an actual impacts in the western markets and what they have done in the US by paving the way for others who come after them somehow reminisce to that of what TVXQ! was doing in Japan back in 2000s decade. They became the first Asian group to top Billboard 100 and 200, first Asian group to sold out Citifield, first Asian artist to sold out Wembley Stadium, first Asian musician to be nominated and invited to Grammy, and is the first Asian artist to top various music charts in Europe and many other parts of the world.

Simply put, TVXQ! & BTS are the Kings of Sales, Kings of Charts, and Kings of Concert tours as well as Concert revenue in their generations, they are also the best-selling Korean artists of all times as well (BTS #1st with 20+ sales & TVXQ! #2nd with 17millions sales). Anyway we know about BTS/TVXQ! and they have FU*KTONS of records. The rest is history

The thing is, how did Kpop as a whole managed to went from local market (1990s) -> Japan and Asia domination (2000s - 2010s) -> Conquering the US, Billboard and selling out Stadiums in the western markets (2010s - 2020s) in the span of like, what... 30 years? Did they planned this out from way back then? This is rocket-science and genius marketing strategy ever that need to be explain, everyone needs to know this

Lets talk about it further in the comments below and not just about Boybands but all of them in details

Btw if you love debate and VS battle threads, feel free to join my Kpop reddit. You're absolutely welcome! I promote freedom of speech and no-ban rules for everyone: https://www.reddit.com/r/KpopDebateWhoWouldWin

2. 2techs

2techs Rookie

Currency:
    February 1st, 2000 - H.O.T's Beijing Concert
    2002-2008 - BoA's japanese albums debut at #1 on Oricon chart
    2009 - TVXQ performs in Tokyo Dome
    2010 - Super Junior performs in the Philippines
    2012 - Gangnam Style blows up globally
    2018 - BTS performs in Citi Field stadium in the U.S
    2019 - BLACKPINK is the first kpop group to reach 1 billion views

:cool:

HardcoreBLINK likes this.
  3. vestirse

vestirse Leader

Currency:
    stargazing
    First, this is a response to how I think BTS won the West over. Sorry for the tangent and not talking about all kpop, but I'm no expert on other groups. I'll try to keep this short, but this is a loaded question as evidenced by the OP...

Let me preface this by saying I am a huge BTS stan, but I think everyone, including them, were taken by surprise at how much the West has latched on to them. A lot of people, mostly not from ARMY, have said things about how they targeted the West, but I think that's untrue. Their success here was organic and unexpected, though not undeserved. It's hard for me to pinpoint why they took off and it may be self-centered of me to say this, but I have to view their success through my eyes and believe some of the roots of their success are similar to how they won me over.

While their message of "youth empowerment" and "loving yourself" really resonated with me and gave me a base to admire, what really drew me in were the many candid videos of these boys being a family. I had the idea most do in the West of kpop being manufactured - made for the sake of money, but not really the love of performing, music or even their band mates. I had been a casual kpop listener before I discovered BTS. BTS flew in the face of that and their bond with each other didn't seem fake or gimmicky to me. This is going to sound weird, but it's true - I also found some common ground with them that helped me through a bit of a dark period in my life and made me realize how precious the people I had around me really were.

Now I am not comparing the bonds and intentions of other kpop groups when I talk about the manufactured perception. I definitely think there are other groups around that have this too. Why have they not made it then when BTS has in my view? There was an element of luck, as much success often has, though I'll repeat it, I think BTS are 100% deserving of their success. But I also have to acknowledge the full package that BTS presents - the message of Loving Yourself with a UN speech and campaign, the numerous Bangtan bombs and vlives that make fans feel they have a somewhat personal view of BTS "behind the scenes", plus the hearty stream of social media they engage in. All of this has endeared BTS to the West and made them media darlings. This is what got me and I attribute their success in part to this.

TL;DR

While I think there is always an element of luck to who finds success, BTS takes it a step further and endears themselves to the West with their positive message and huge social media presence. This presence gives people what feels to be a personal and inside glimpse into BTS themselves. These glimpses make them seem humble, genuine and relatable - and this has drawn many in.

Anyway, just my .02 cents.

shizuru, mikls, 9397Duo and 2 others like this.
  4. afilleraccount

afilleraccount Trendsetter

Currency:
    My point to this discussion is that the next truly notable boy group that joins the pantheon of SeoTaiji/HOT/TVXQ/BTS will have to dominate a new market for Kpop.

Seo Taiji & Boys and HOT were both massive domestically, TVXQ added Japan to Korean domination, and now BTS has North America & Europe plus Japan and Korea (and are starting to show signs of breaking EXO and BB’s chokehold on China).

so the next big Kpop boy group will have to have all of these markets (NA, Japan, Korea, China, Europe) plus a new region, namely, the regions Kpop has yet to fully penetrate. the Middle East, South and Central America, Africa, and SEA could all be bigger markets in terms of Kpop.

mikls likes this.
  5. Arashiexque

Arashiexque Trainee

Currency:
    I don't know about penetrating American market. BTS did gain the fandom (I feel that they have many fans all over the world, but not enough to make them a public celebrity in each of those countries besides Korea of course), but not the public relevance yet. Maybe that next group will be the group to actually control that full popularity world-wide.

6. jenniesbtch

jenniesbtch Super Rookie

Currency:
    By global market I’m just referring to any music market outside of East Asia.

Feel free to disagree with me but in regards to the global expansion of K-Pop in terms of Girl Groups the only major players have been Wonder Girls, 2NE1 and BLACKPINK, with BLACKPINK being the lucky one and being the only of the 3 groups to actually have a breakthrough and have had the most impact to the global market.

Ultimately though, I feel like BTS and BLACKPINK were lucky enough and filled a gap in the market as at the times when they both started gaining traction there wasn’t a global pop boy group or girl group. So they both kind of filled the role.

Little Mix could debatably be considered a global girl group but honestly they haven’t impacted the biggest of the music markets in like 6 or 7 years.

HardcoreBLINK likes this.
  7. Joined:
    Jan 17, 2019
    Currency:
    You're right
    BP also have the chance to outdo fifth harmony & lil mix in their own markets ✓