Kurt Cobain's "Unplugged" sweater up for auction ; 2019.10.09

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by krell, Oct 10, 2019 at 8:11 AM.

1. krell

krell Rookie

Kurt Cobain's "Unplugged" cardigan (sweater) up for auction ; 2019.10.09

boingboing.net/2019/10/09/kurt-cobains-unplugged-c.html

--- Begin Quoting ---
    The green cardigan that Kurt Cobain wore during Nirvana's classic MTV Unplugged performance in 1993
    will be on the auction block at the end of the month. The sweater last changed hands following
    a November 2015 auction, selling for $137,500 USD. This time, the minimum bid is set for $200,000 USD and it's expected to go for more than $300,000 USD. It has not been washed.
    --- End Quoting ---

(Trolling for LOLs) ... Okay , do I hear $225,000 USD for a ratty sweater ...
    with 'Marijuana Smoking Burn Holes' worn by T.O.P (BigB4ng) ??? ... :rolleyes:

2. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Procrastinator
    Nirvana's unplugged session was probably in the top 5 for me during that show's run. The Cure is another one. Something in the Way and The Man Who Sold the World are probably two of my favorites.

krell likes this.
  3. krell

krell Rookie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_Me
    "WAIF ME" (K-MART naming) has an interesting history ... ;)

4. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Procrastinator
    Rape Me ruffled a couple of feathers separate from what it's supposed to mean but unlike today where the outrage would have been instant, it was a slow trickle back then. It kinda didn't even reach our part of the world probably because there was no music video. Funnily enough, Heart-Shaped Box received louder criticism, if I'm remembering correctly, because of the religious images used in that video.

Edgy, teenager me of course loved it all. Grunge was all I listened to almost exclusively back then. If a grunge band wrote a song about pooping, I'd probably dig it just because it would sound subversive and anti-mainstream (ironically grunge was pretty much mainstream back in the early to mid 90s).

krell likes this.