Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

KPop not producing great composers - even IU won a Songwriting Award

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by WhyKnock, Dec 4, 2017.

1. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Rookie

One thing showing KPop's not too bright future is that this year the Songwriting Award for Melon went to, out of all people, a 24 years old who never wrote a song for anyone else (she did write lyrics for a rookie who will be quickly buried a few days ago), and didn't start writing songs till 5 years ago.

Hitman Bang (BTS's boss) won last year so it was awkward to give it to him again, but giving it to IU was a strange choice since she is the youngest recipient.

The song system of recent KPop is that

1) Big companies get songs from a lot of foreign composers. So there are more than one composer in many cases. For example Ko Ko Bop had these people as composers :
    Kaelyn Behr, Tay Jasper,
    Shaylen Carroll, MZMC

whose name we may never hear again.

2) in many cases, the companies send a person to work with the foreign composer/team, to make the song more palatable to KPop.

So the candidates would be Locoberry, who wrote the song for Aille's famous OST; Yoon Jongshin ; or the BTS members who wrote songs for themselves. The composer for the Baek Jiyoung/Hyunbin OST "That woman/That man) did win for that OST back in 2011 so Locoberry would have qualified too.

However, Melon decided to be cheap, and gave the award to IU who was already there. It would have been awkward to give the award to the BTS members since Hitman Bang already won last year for their songs.

Whether it was a good choice or not, given that Melon could not find a suitable candidate other than IU (the other two, other than BTS members who would not have won for reasons described above, were also for domestic consumption!) shows what's wrong with KPop, and why good songs are not made nowdays.

Was there any KPop composer under the sun who could outdo a singer who contributed absolutely nothing to KPop's advance to the world? If that was the case then it is a cause to despair about the future of KPop.

2. Princess_Pure

Princess_Pure Artist

3. Blabluegree

Blabluegree Artist

I know SM relies on a lot of songwriters, but what about YGE or JYE? I thought they had consist songwriters?

Baltax likes this.
  4. 02MaxX02

02MaxX02 Artist

So age matters?

I don't get it.

She wrote good songs. Her album is a big hit. The public liked it.

There, she won it.

Almost every single songs from this one album made it to #1...

She won for 2017... I don't see why you think she doesn't deserve it. You don't need to be 43 years old and have written 2437 songs in the past 20 years to win that award. You have to write good songs for one year. She did it.

#4 02MaxX02, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    NoCookie90, Buddy25, Askarima and 3 others like this.
  5. Blabluegree

Blabluegree Artist

I feel offended just look at this meme.

6. 02MaxX02

02MaxX02 Artist

This cracked me up

LongAssRider and Princess_Pure like this.
  7. _CLeO

_CLeO Star

8. Princess_Pure

Princess_Pure Artist

OMG soooooo cute :merongk:

_CLeO likes this.
  9. RainingStarlight

this was one of the worst arguments i've read in awhile...

Buddy25 likes this.
  10. southclubstan

Well melon decided to be petty and not nominate Seungyoon or G dragon.
    Seungyoon made really really which was a huge hit
    And G dragon composed all his album and Fxxt it which is the most sccuessful song of 2016-2017 after Ailee

11. emanresu10

emanresu10 Star

I want to specifically address your comments regarding IU.

I'm not familiar enough with the rest of the kpop songwriting landscape to weigh in on your other claims.

So...

Re: IU

Is the Songwriting award a "legacy" award or an award for a particular song or songs?

If it is a legacy award, your argument of her not having a credentialed and lengthy enough songwriting career to warrant such an award is perhaps worthwhile..

However, if it is not a legacy award, and is instead meant to recognize songwriting showcased in one song only (or an album), then I'd say your considerations of age and breadth of songwriting accomplishments are wholly invalid.

In the case of a non-legacy award, it would be wholly determined (in theory) by the merits of the individual song(s) considered.

The rest shouldn't matter.

You later allow in your post that IU "may or may not" deserve the award, but your overall post counters this single line by being an attack against IU's validity in content and spirit.

zlie31, propanda and Eithra like this.
  12. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Rookie

YGE has Teddy and a gang of them but their recent songs are short of expectations. JYE, for Twice they still use Black eyed pilseung or JYP himself.

Blabluegree likes this.
  13. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Rookie

I mean, but her songs are not internationally popular, and the very fact that a singer was given such award (until now such was a no-no since a singer could be honored other ways and usually songwriters were not honored separately), because they could not find a better candidate shows why KPop is lacking good songs because of a shortage of composers.

14. lizvip

lizvip Entertainer

mmm But I think Teddy recent songs are actually good.....I was worrying about him last year and before last year, but I think he did a good job this year.

15. devilinblack1

GD won best songwriter award at 19 years age ..so age does not really matter

16. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Rookie

If she won songs like gangnam style she would qualify, but she only wrote songs for herself , and only for domestic consumption. However, there was no suitable composer to award (BTS members did not because Hitman Bang won last year), which shows that there are so few Korean composers who can write songs which will be effective outside of Koera.

17. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Rookie

At least his song had an international appeal.

18. devilinblack1

Melon just giving award on a basis of download counts and stream. what about those songwriters who wrote b-side tracks. So it's not really fair.

19. K47ja

K47ja Entertainer

Let B.I compose
    Let him out of the dungeon
    This boi will make jaws drop

20. lizvip

lizvip Entertainer

why are you so obssesed with "internationaL appeal" and what not? this is KPOP if korean like it , is GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM. Kpop does not need international validation