kpop > jpop//cpop

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rys, Apr 16, 2016.

?

team

1. all three

2. cpop & jpop

3. cpop & kpop

4. kpop & jpop

5. kpop

6. jpop

7. cpop

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rys

Rys Trainee

Currency:
    1. why do you think jpop // cpop < kpop in terms of international popularity?
    2. do you prefer all three or one/two of them?
    3. why all three? // which one/two of them and why?
    4. share your fav jpop//cpop group/MV

strictly pop genre.

#1 Rys, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. katahtattat

Currency:
    1. probably because kpop markets and caters to an international audience. kpop companies are also genius at preying on tribal mentality.

2 & 3 . i prefer jpop because of it is much more diverse, experimental, and i understand it. (lyrics matter to me sometimes), but there are amazingly talented people in all 3

4. I have mentioned this enough (and will continue), but Momoiro Clover Z is my favorite jpop group.

KiraDoru likes this.
  3. ARSienna

ARSienna Rookie

Currency:
    I'm johnny trash since SMAP era. lol
    but my favorite for now is HSJ on JPOP, because they around my age, and i feel like i'm growing together with them. They're basically debut as a teen kid tbh.
    For music, in Japan i prefer one ok rock, laruku, yui, etc.

for kpop, I'm a complete BTS trash. Their music is totally my style. lyrics, beat, performance, image etc.
    and i admire the way agencies marketing KPOP tbh, they're amazing. Especially BTS.

For cpop, i was a hardcore fan of wang lee hom, back then. lol

i like all three, as long i found something from them that worth my times to enjoy as my source of entertainment.

4. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    1. There is simply more I-fans of kpop than I-fans of jpop and especially cpop.

2-3. I don't really have knowledge of cpop and it's quite hard to find good stuff in jpop. So I prefer kpop quite lot ^^

4. Jpop:

Kalafina- Lacrimosa

Their mv's are pretty much standing/sitting around and singing, nothing really going on. I prefer lives and studio lives from them.

From Non-group mv's Utada Hikaru's Passion is great as song and mv both :) And if Babymetal are seen as jpop group.. their mv and song Megitsune is great.

5. hellomellu

hellomellu Super Rookie

Currency:
    Student/Nail tech.
    Don't get me wrong, I love me some Arashi but kpop just has a polish that the other two lack. It's just shinier.

infiniteeeee likes this.
  6. soneaddict7

soneaddict7 Public Figure

Currency:
    Professional fangirl
    1) Kpop is more on the visual appeal, catchy songs, addictive dances and Western concepts which Cpop and Jpop don't really have. Due to this, Kpop appeals to a larger audience than C/Jpop does.

2) I am fine with all three but my preference is obviously Kpop. Jpop has some great songs as well but it takes more exploration to find a style that would suit someone. Their mainstream stuff is too much on the baby-cutesy side. Cpop has good songs too but I can never pick up Mandarin how much I try so I cannot relate to it much. I understand Korean and Japanese enough.

3) Whenever the music's good, I'll listen to it irrespective of what country it comes from.

4) I like Nogizaka46 in Jpop

I also love Perfume and Flower

ilovekpop909 and Arachi like this.
  7. Arachi

Arachi Rookie

Currency:
    I second this! I also think that JPOP is more diverse in terms of their genres, while you could actually classify Kpop into three or so groups

8. aquamaraqua

aquamaraqua Public Figure

Currency:
    Full Time CandY
    I like all three for different reasons.

J-Pop for the badass soloists, bands and girl groups.
    K-Pop for the idol groups... at least before 2015 and indie rock music.
    C-Pop for soloists and ballads.

At the moment I prefer J music over them all because it's consistently delivering amazing music like this:

9. aceoelvis

aceoelvis Super Rookie

Currency:
    I really like cpop and kpop but I can't with jpop
    like it's nearly impossible to find any jpop music on YouTube and like the ones I do find I can't get myself to enjoy

10. Arachi

Arachi Rookie

Currency:
    @soneaddict7

OMG!! FLOWER IS ONE OF MY FAVE. SONGS!!

11. chocho1080

chocho1080 Rookie

Currency:
    Student
    Cpop
    pop is marketed more towards the Western Market than Jpop or Cpop

2) I prefer kpop over jpop and Cpop, but there are a few jpop groups I like and a few Cpop singers I like

3) I enjoy kpop more probably because it's suits my tastes the best? I'm not to sure tbh...

4)
    I really like Perfume

I also like AAA

12. easyalyce

easyalyce Super Rookie

Currency:
    Fembot
    Kpop vs Jpop is about 80/20 for me..... Kpop being more favorable IMO, I like JPOP too but my jpop compass right now is E-girls including all 4 groups, Kyary, Daichi Miura, Exile, and UKISS/SNSD goes JPOP promotions, that's it.

Cpop is not any where on my radar.

I find KPOP to be more fun to follow with the fandoms and comebacks and concepts and stuff like that. Jpop does not seem to be marketed to attract international fans, nor do they interact with international fans, most people I've encountered learned about JPOP through Anime which IS marketed to attract international fans so....yeah.

Let's see my favorite JPOP PV is by Flower but it's not available on Youtube because NONE of their stuff is anymore, Sony deleted them all :(

So my second Favorite is by Happiness!
    Happiness / Seek A Light

AND Kyary Pamyu Pamyu!
    Kyary Pamyu Pamyu / Ninja Re Bang Bang

13. Bananarama

Bananarama Trainee

Currency:
    My guess would be that, because Japan has amazing album sales in general, Jpop acts don't need to go beyond their borders to seek attention. As for Cpop, China may as well be like 10 countries in terms of population AND size, so there's no reason for them to leave China either. Meanwhile, Korea does not have a HUGE population, plus it is extremely saturated with a number of very similar pop acts. Thus, it is in their interest to cash in on international popularity, which is why they incorporate a lot of English into their songs.
    Overall I listen to a lot more K-pop. I just love the all around entertainment value, and the way they produce songs. However, J-pop is extremely diverse and some incredible acts come out of it as well, so I do listen to it sometimes. To me, Cpop is way too one dimensional. Very few Chinese acts stray away from romantic balladry. To me it's yaaawn.... I also feel like, since it's mostly romantic ballads, you kind of have to know the language to appreciate them. I mean, romantic Kpop ballads don't tend to be my favorite either.
    What?

14. thebluecapric0rn

Currency:
    1. Edit: Kpop is more internet-friendly towards the international audience and the idols appeals more to them than Jpop's ones does and etc.
    2. I like both Kpop and Jpop, but prefer idol Kpop over idol Jpop (especially their groups) and non-idol Jpop over non-idol Kpop.
    3. I like the sound.
    I like that it looks like your finger is in the video.

The video is so beautifully done.

I like how tricky it's made and the set design

Not really Jpop, but I like the way the video is done.

For Cpop I would say this. The use of traditional Chinese looks well done.

#14 thebluecapric0rn, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  15. Rys

Rys Trainee

Currency:
    I kinda agree with, so in short, kpop make more effort in reaching international audience? or is it that the intl audience found kpop more interesting and then it become big bcs I used to hear a lot more abt jpop and japan is considered to be the second biggest music industry in the world even now but you barely heard anything abt jpop today. kpop is very big even in japan itself.

16. Bananarama

Bananarama Trainee

Currency:
    I definitely think K-pop has tried harder to reach an international audience. People have always noticed J-pop here and there but it was kind of a niche since J-pop didn't usually notice them.. but when the "hallyu wave" started, K-pop companies definitely noticed and wanted to capitalize on that. And I think it boils down to, at least in part, J-pop not having much to gain outside of Japan while K-pop needed that extra boost of attention.

17. mocochang

mocochang Celebrity

Currency:
    EXILE TRIBE trash ♥
    K-pop is currently more popular internationally, though it used to be the other way around. The main reason for that is that k-pop does try to reach international fans, but Japanese companies couldn't care less about the market outside Japan, they focus on getting the Japanese public interested, since they are the ones who buy music and attend concerts. Japanese official sales rankings don't even count any CD purchases that were shipped to international addresses, even when those purchases where from legit Japanese stores.
    C-Pop... I'm just not very familiar with, so I can't comment about that one.

A few of my favorite J-Pop artists:

Sandaime J Soul Brothers

GENERATIONS

E-girls

Namie Amuro

Koda Kumi

#17 mocochang, Apr 17, 2016
  18. Elf_lover

Elf_lover Leader

Currency:
    Don't really follow J Pop except for Perfume.
    C Pop not really either.
    Just K Pop for me, more groups to choose from

19. mocochang

mocochang Celebrity

Currency:
    EXILE TRIBE trash ♥
    there are waaaay more jpop artists than kpop ones though... And I'm pretty sure cpop has way more artists than kpop as well.

#19 mocochang, Apr 18, 2016
    ilovekpop909 and JaeKhayeCee like this.
  20. JaeKhayeCee

JaeKhayeCee Public Figure

Currency:

I think Kpop appeals more to the mass audience as the genre and style are greatly influenced by American pop (and more recently hip-hop) and the music videos that accompanies that songs are visually pleasing and very eye-catchy thus it's easier to attract a wider audience. Jpop is more of an acquired taste and Cpop, well, I don't know much about Cpop but I believe it still has to step up their pop game.

Kpop and Jrock actually.

Kpop, I love it so much just because. Jpop, actually, I'm more of a Jrock fan but I used to listen to a lot of Jpop groups before like NEWS, KAT-TUN, Hey Say Jump, Arashi, etc. Japanese rock is like a thirst-quencher for me. I think their music is the most authentic. Cpop, I only know very few like Hit-5, TFBoys, and honestly, I know more Taiwanese artists than Chinese ones.

I would share NEWS' Weeeek for Jpop but I can't find the legit PV.
    EDIT: I'll just put Scandal instead~ One of their fun songs!

For Cpop, this features Girl's Day Minah (HIT5 - Paleni)

Draft saved Draft deleted