Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Kpop Idols: overrated vs underappreciated

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by IgotExosBangtan, May 14, 2017.

1. IgotExosBangtan

Do you think there are any kpop idols who are overrated and hyped? Do you think there are any that are under appreciated?

Chen is arguably the best vocalist in Exo, but rarely gets attention or noticed. He doesn't seem like the type to initiate lots of skinship or is too eager to be in the spotlight. Same with Xuimin.

What idols do you think are overrated and underappreciated? Be respectful of other's opinions!

2. Oh_Kill_Em

Oh_Kill_Em Legend

3. PreciousJin

PreciousJin Legend

Let's be honest. Idols are only overrated when you don't like them. There's always a reason why they're and should be popular.

4. Yabs_Trash

Yabs_Trash Artist

Okay don't get me wrong but I think BTS is a bit overhyped. Yes they are pretty good but not THAT good like some people say. Also, B1A4 and BTOB (sorry i'm biased but is true) are really underapreciated, they are really talented but people doesn't even bother to listen to their music, THIS IS MY OPINION DON'T KILL ME PLS

5. soneaddict7

soneaddict7 Artist

Lovelyz and OMG are pretty under-appreciated in general. In Gugudan all the spotlight goes to the P101 trio as well but the fans are nice so it's okay.

6. choi_an_ni

choi_an_ni Super Rookie

Oh My Girl, none of their comeback song are disappointed, but they never won.

Sappho, kaeil007, Daneyed and 5 others like this.
  7. Laaur

Laaur Entertainer

For underrated idols I'd say 100% Hyukjin and Rokhyun (vocals), B1A4 Jinyoung (production/music composition), BTOB Eunkwang + a bunch of others.
    For underrated groups there are also way too many to list so I'll just namedrop VIXX because they've been around for a while now, their releases are always good and their dances are great; their talents warrant more success. Hopefully this comeback really takes off~

8. _CLeO

_CLeO Artist

Oh My Girl is underappreciated, their comebacks are always great! Same goes with MONSTA X

Sappho, ArieIIe, Daneyed and 4 others like this.
  9. ELF_L

ELF_L Artist

What is the standard to be called as NOT overrated and at the same time NOT underappreciated ? So bts is underappreciated when they're nugus and overrated when they become successful ?:whatr:

Sorry for my shitty reponse that don't contribute to the thread. I'm just curious.

#9 ELF_L, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
  10. IgotExosBangtan

That is a very good question. :yesr:

angeler88, xoxoKPOPxoxo and ELF_L like this.
  11. crackquake

crackquake Artist

Tbh i don't like twice but jihyo is pretty underappreciated.

Sesamezmak, yoonbread, its_zo and 3 others like this.
  12. rosslyn

rosslyn Artist

Honestly BTS and Twice are so overrated, especially Twice, at least BTS worked hard for their way up
    But dude Twice, they're talentless and don't bring anything new to kpop scene, they don't have those really hard moves and pretty much the only talented members are overshadowed
    I think Lovelyz and OMG are underappreciated, they actually have really nice songs but it seems they aren't good enough for the public that they don't have a chance

13. ohmyqueen

ohmyqueen Entertainer

PREACH.

14. xoxoKPOPxoxo

xoxoKPOPxoxo Artist

Some groups earned there way to the top of the ladder with hard work and some are still climbing their way with lots of effort;):)

15. SowonderfulBlue

People seriously need to stop going into threads and giving shitty responses that don't contribute to the thread. Like, if it's a hate thread, ok that's understandable. I've just been seeing this all over AKP and ppl swear it's the end of the world if any other K-Pop fan is a least bit truthful or honest about some realities about K-Pop or their idols. This is why people hate K-Pop fans because so many act immature and can't have a decent or real conversation and take anything that's short of praise as "hate" or "unnecessary" when sometimes, people are attempting to have real and open discussions without hating.

I agree @IgotExosBangtan that Chen is underrated. In a way not bc most fans know his vocal ability but I'd rather say he's underappreciated if anything compared to Baekhyun. I'd say the same thing about DO honestly.

I think a lot of YG artists are overrated because they produce music that appeals to western/international fans so it's almost always automatically "lit" when I think a lot of content they've been producing lately is really mediocre or lacking. At least Big Bang as a group. Taeyang's Rise album is untouchable though and I genuinely like BP's stuff, though not Boombayah. I'd say AKMU and Winner are exceptions as well.

Suzy is definitely overrated. ESPECIALLY by Koreans. If it were any other female idol, they would literally get flooded with hate for having the vocal ability she possesses but because she's Suzy and she's pretty and Korea's ideal visual, they overwhelmingly praise her EVEN for her singing.

Val123, yoonbread, chenyue10 and 6 others like this.
  16. ohmyqueen

ohmyqueen Entertainer

OMG, Berry Good, Nine Muses, and After School.

All of them are/were underrated.

Wang_delulu_D and hyelinnie like this.
  17. ilyria101_nuest

Underrated
    Nu'est

Oh My Girl

Ladies Code

BtoB

#17 ilyria101_nuest, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  18. IgotExosBangtan

THIS! THIS comment! I love it! Really, I do. This is my first "controversial" thread and I hate it when people can't take other's opinions or use it as a place to throw shade or hate.

Taeyang and Daesung's solo albums would have to be my favorite out of the group.

Suzy is a prime example that to a lot if kpop fans, it's the image that matters, not the talent. I mean, you can think an idol can't sing or whatever, if it works for you, do you then. But praising solely for image is just....dumb.

19. IgotExosBangtan

I'm not THAT into girl groups but I don't get why everyone detests twice. (No hate or shade towards you.) Are they really that bad? DX

20. SquirtleYerimLuv

Yeri
    I'm sure someone is going to respond and tell me otherwise lol