Kpop fans find East Asian culture more appealing than Southeast Asia?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Uni909, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Uni909

Uni909 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Guardian of the WJSN system
    I just get the sense most Kpop fans don't have any big interest on the few SEA idols there are in Kpop. Lisa is the only exception. BamBam, Sorn, Natty, Minnie, Ten, NichKhun are nowhere near the popularity of the chinese and japanese idols. So is it because so few of them are in the Big 3 or 4 with BigHit?

simpforsana likes this.
  2. funnyguy-69

funnyguy-69 Super Rookie

Currency:
    idk wasn't nichkhun really popular back in the day?
    I think a lot of it has to do with that they look down on SEA in general

3. simpforsana

simpforsana Super Rookie

Currency:
    Simping for hyejoo
    Pretty much

4. ohohcollinBB

ohohcollinBB Trendsetter

Currency:
    I dont think it has anything to do with culture. Its just purely looks and visual preferences cus kpop is and always will be a visual genre

kissmycakes, twileee, fidren and 2 others like this.
  5. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Veteran

Currency:
    Astronaut
    East asians are better at promoting their culture

Avg European and American is much more familiar with Chinese, Japanese and Korean culture VS Vietnamese, Thai or Filipino culture

6. mashimaroluff0

mashimaroluff0 Celebrity

Currency:
    Lmao
    Lisa is probably bigger than any Chinese or Japanese Kpop idols so idk what you’re smoking
    It all come down to look, charm and most importantly big company.
    once any of these East Asian or SEA idols are part of Kpop, Kpop fans just see them as Kpop.

purpleyellow likes this.
  7. Namjooniejams

Namjooniejams Super Rookie

Currency:
    Again, another made up narrative.

There's barely any south east asian idols, however I'd say they are all pretty much loved.

Tbh most fans treat them the exact same,

It's just the fact that kpop is east Asian dominated, which is why it overshadows the few south east asians.

8. BlackpinkHouse

Currency:
    Government - Top Secret
    The only one that is criminally underrated and mistreated by Kpop fans is Natty. She deserved so much better than getting paid dust by them.

Nikki47 likes this.
  9. AsianDrama16

AsianDrama16 Public Figure

Currency:
    If we look at the raw numbers, the ratio of successful and unsuccessful Korean idols is much greater than the ratio of Lisa and other SEA idols. In other words, proportionately, there are far more unsuccessful Korean idols. So SEA idols are actually doing very well.

As others have already said, any SEA idol who can bring what Lisa brings to the table will become hugely successful. Success has much more to do with talent and looks rather than nationality. ohohcollinBB got it right -- Kpop is a visual genre.

10. Armedryu

Armedryu Idol

Currency:
    It is Korean Pop after all

kissmycakes likes this.
  11. gugudadadan

gugudadadan Newbie

Currency:
    There's literally Thai idols in all Big 3 (edit: Big 4 if you count Cube). I don't know what you're talking about. Thai idols seem to do fine. They're some of the most popular members in their groups:

Lisa - arguably one of the most popular idols in the world
    Natty - not in a group, so I guess she doesn't count?
    Bambam - One of the most popular member in GOT7, literally the reason Thailand carries GOT7 each comeback
    Ten - One of the most popular in NCT, there's a reason he always gets put in big projects like SuperM & WayV (https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-most-popular-overall-in-NCT)
    Sorn - Also one of the more famous/popular members of CLC (https://www.ranker.com/list/best-members-of-clc-ranked/ranker-music), although that doesn't say a lot
    Minnie - One of the most popular (G)I-DLE members, has broken Top 10 brand idol brand reputation in Korea (#9)
    Nichkhun - You must be new to K-Pop. Literally one of the most popular idols of his time, THE face of 2PM, probably responsible for all the Thai idols influx in the first place

I don't know, who are these more popular Chinese & Japanese idols you're talking about?

The only Japanese idols I can think of are the 3 Twice members & Yuta (who I wouldn't say is particularly popular)
    The only Chinese idols I can think of off the top of my head are the EXO former members.
    Being from bigger economies, Chinese & Japanese idols naturally benefit more from their home countries, but all these groups have benefited from having their Thai members.

#11 gugudadadan, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  12. z1

z1 Super Rookie

Currency:
    Student
    Actually, kpop is mainstream in SEA. Basically the only countries outside of Korea that u see kpop songs chart for more than 3 weeks at #1. But koreans look down on SEA ppl bc they think they are poor. Lol go to Singapore and see what the koreans say after that

#12 z1, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  13. Namjooniejams

Namjooniejams Super Rookie

Currency:
    Uh, at least read what I write properly.

East asian dominated as in most idols are eastern asian.

I'm aware kpop is popular in sea.

z1 likes this.
  14. Tic_tac_toe

Tic_tac_toe Leader

Currency:
    I mean it also depends on group popularity. Not sure about Korea but I think internationally if the group is liked they’ll like who ever it is. And lisa is proof of that.

kissmycakes and Straw_berry like this.
  15. staindz

staindz Celebrity

Currency:
    I really would like to know which SEAsian "culture" are being represented by Lisa, BamBam, Sorn, etc

16. deepside

deepside Trainee

Currency:
    That's simple, SEA idols get into the popular group would be popular, such as BTS/Blackpink. Individual doesn't matter much.

17. mashimaroluff0

mashimaroluff0 Celebrity

Currency:
    i notice you like to make threads to put down SEA or some kind of narrative that East Asians idols/culture is better than SEA idols/cultures
    why is that?

18. Happylittlepunk

Happylittlepunk Super Rookie

Currency:
    College student
    Chinese and Japanese idols get more attention because they are in popular groups and large Kpop companies. However the SEA idols that I know of like Lisa, bam bam and ten are very popular in kpop but also in there own countries.

it’s about being in popular kpop groups and having a strong company back you up. Plus labels clearly add these idols because they want to appeal to SEA and the idols were clearly massively talented enough and had very strong visuals.

19. kankankankan

kankankankan Rookie

Currency:
    wdym half of them are some of the most popular in their groups

20. bzzz

bzzz Rookie

Currency:
    Some days ago, I watched a video of a Thai youtuber studied and is working in Korea. She said that was a misconception, the Korean did not disdain the SEA. She herself never faced discrimination from her classmates/colleagues. They were some rude peoples insulting her behind her back or online but, it wasn't like it was more severe than most parts of the world.

I guess it indeed intertwines with the stereotype. The Korean holds the stereotype that the SEA is ugly and poor/uncivilized. Any SEA in Korea won't face strong discrimination unless they live up to the stereotype. The Thai youtuber looked similar to average Chinese woman and made average income.