Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

KPOP AND RACISM

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by bbyseoul, Jul 16, 2018.

1. bbyseoul

bbyseoul Newbie

Since people were talking about how I should talk about it in a different thread. Here it is, so let’s talk about Kpop and racism

2. Erae

Erae Married to @Baby_Dragon

CL's sugar baby
    There are idiots everywhere. That's the answer to everything :*

igloo, Kittykat65, 89TIFF and 20 others like this.
  3. bbyseoul

bbyseoul Newbie

Ik

Emileh, Erae and ReadMyFanfic2 like this.
  4. ReadMyFanfic2

ReadMyFanfic2 Married to @raymondchouku

Promoting 最好的哈萨克斯坦歌手:迪瑪希·庫達依別列根
    I feel you shouldn't have brought Twitter's mess to akp
    But since we are on the subject I mean there's really only one response. It's hateful and wrong and almost everyone except for racist people will say that. I don't see why a second thread was needed, just for everyone to agree to something that's obvious to normal people

igloo, 89TIFF, AmmaAffa and 8 others like this.
  5. ploof

ploof Rookie

Happens all the time.

bbyseoul likes this.
  6. bbyseoul

bbyseoul Newbie

There is this really good article talking about how racism, Kpop idols, and Kpop fans. This basically explains some of my thoughts about it

A lot of people don’t understand half of the mumble rappers in the industry today or the lyrics to ‘Despacito,’ but did that really stop them from listening?” he asks. “A lot of people get really hung up on the fact that K-pop is a ‘thing’ today, when it's just pop music in Korean. You don’t judge a book by its cover, so you shouldn’t judge music by its language.”

But, you can judge music by the way it's presented, which Smith-Grant also understands. People—black people, in particular—have taken an issue with K-pop, thanks to some of the genre's artists engaging in problematic behavior.

What does “problematic” mean here? Well, it can mean extremely racist, like when recently K-pop band Mamamoo wore blackface to imitate Bruno Mars. (This is just one of the many instances where other K-pop artists have done the same.) Or it can mean engaging in inappropriate cultural appropriation, like rocking cornrows and grillz in music videos. ”

I think a lot of it has to do with ignorance and lack of exposure to diversity.

Here’s the link btw - https://nylon.com/articles/k-pop-appropriation-black-culture

Emileh likes this.
  7. roseunbin

roseunbin Trainee

There'a a video on youtube about racism in kpop and after watching that I was shocked. Some of the idols apologized but it's still disrespectful.

gCrush and bbyseoul like this.
  8. bbyseoul

bbyseoul Newbie

Im never gonna bring that twitter mess again, I saw another user posting something about it. The replies on that thread were much different from the ones I got. I went on twitter, saw some stuff and posted it. People I guess like to be defensive, but I made this thread to get away from that mess.

Emileh and ReadMyFanfic2 like this.
  9. bbyseoul

bbyseoul Newbie

Can you link it to me?

10. MyPostsAreFacts

People turn a blind to it for the most part. Both fans and idols. And it isn't like it really affects a groups success all that much. Mamamoo have messed up a bunch of times but it doesn't matter. Wendy. Rapmon. Etc.

The people they hurt and offend aren't their audience and probably make up the smallest minority when it comes to fans and people who actively support and spend money on kpop so I don't think they care at the end of the day.

11. ReadMyFanfic2

ReadMyFanfic2 Married to @raymondchouku

Promoting 最好的哈萨克斯坦歌手:迪瑪希·庫達依別列根
    Hmm

I'm sorry btw I realised my previous message sounded sorta of rude. I just know that akp has it's own drama schedule...and it shifts between being calm here, and getting out of hand...meanwhile Twitter's a mess 24/7 so bringing that drama here never really helps (plus my spidy senses are tingling and we had a slight drama uproar recently but I think it's only the precurser to a much larger impending storm)

I wasn't trying to scrutinize your posting harshly

bbyseoul likes this.
  12. bbyseoul

bbyseoul Newbie

Lol no I agreed with you, I shouldn’t have posted that but those replies were kind of harsh but I could careless. Your fine, it wasn’t scrutinizing

13. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Public Figure

Dancer
    i think black people shouldn't shit on kpop for being ''problematic'' when black rappers get away with saying the most misogynistic, racist and homophobic slurs all the time, yet they stay silent on that issue all the time.

The selective outrage is beyond my believe

La_Decay likes this.
  14. Bringingthelatet

How are black rappers racist? Please explain. There’s also been cultural shift within the hip-hop community, being homophobic and misogynistic is not accepted anymore. Rappers like Offsett and XXXTentacion get a lot of hate.
    And why do assume that black people only listen to rap? There’s other genres too. If you dont know, Black people basically invented modern music.
    Please stop talking out of your ass.

AmmaAffa, ancor, botmy and 3 others like this.
  15. bbyseoul

bbyseoul Newbie

Some Kpop is “problematic” for sure
    Some Black rappers say those misginystic stuff.

Both have problems that need to be addressed. Also pls don’t speak for an entire race

Emileh likes this.
  16. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Public Figure

Dancer
    lol what cultural shift. It's still the same racist, homophobic and misogynistic crap. And lol where did i say all black people listen to rap? Black people didn't invent modern music, maybe in some way pioneered it (even that is a stretch).

My point is. stop the fingerpointing when your own camp ain't that clean

17. qW12

qW12 Newbie

K-POP in general with idol putting blackface or saying n word are ignorant. With rappers like Zico, RM, Mino,Bobby all saying it in the past and i checked the song that BTS did a cover for and couldn't believe they really had the n word as the lyrics for the song. Best is to educate and hope the idols will learn from it.

The song was from Shinhwa

bbyseoul likes this.
  18. Lilac_Ace

Lilac_Ace Notable

It happens all the time and not just in Kpop. This is due to pure ignorance, environment or just being a dick. However, it's not right to generalize the entire group of people only just because a few individuals were being racist.

bbyseoul likes this.
  19. Bringingthelatet

Sis... can you please explain at least how rap is racist? Do you even know the purpose of rap? Ever heard of political hip hop?

The hip hop culture has always been about social activism as well. It grew in the 1970s in the US, a time where black people were heavily discriminated against and killed for just existing. Even to this day... antiblackness is still a problem.

It’s clear that hip hop/rap has grown from what it used to be, but the culture has always been about expression. Please read up on it and stop being ignorant.

AmmaAffa, ancor and chickseli like this.
  20. Aalin

Aalin Public Figure

Jobless bum!
    You guys really need to understand a few things when you say Kpop is racist.
    YES IT IS RACIST.
    But the kind of culture they are exposed to or rather any asian country is exposed to is different than most Western cultures.

We have had this discussion in the group many times.

Now understand one thing.
    Korea doesn't know or rather doesn't educate it's citizen on the past of racism.
    Especially the Black History.
    I'll be honest even no country in Asia does that except for a few literary pieces.
    And a brief in their history books.
    Similarly not many Westerner know about all the past aka history of racism or the blatant exploitation that was done on Asia in DETAIL.

So there are going to be a few here and theres.
    Asia in general has a very superiority/inferiority complex towards skin tones and looks since they have been subjugated to slave trade for years as well.
    So they tend to come off as racist when it's more of not having the knowledge of these things.

Also sometimes the whole hip hop culture doesn't help.
    Censoring certain words for other cultures but your own yet using them in popular music will not make people understand that these words are insults.
    Nope.
    Unless you make a unilateral effort to stop using the words themselves and educate people not just outside your culture but in your own as well this racism issue is not going to go away.

That being said Koreans/ Asians need to stop and be more open.
    And so do other people.