Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

[Koreaboo] TWICE has been such a success, JYP is modeling their new Japanese group after them

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Lubby00, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Lubby00

Lubby00 Legend

JYP Announces Plans To Debut Japanese Version Of TWICE

JYP Entertainment‘s Park Jin Young shared his “Globalization by Localization” plan, including his goal to debut an all-Japanese girl group.

[​IMG]

At his SparkLabs DemoDay11 lecture, Park Jin Young discussed his vision for this “Japanese TWICE“

“Next project we’re preparing is a Japanese girl group made of all Japanese girls… To help you understand, it’s basically like TWICE with all Japanese girls.” — Park Jin Young

This Japanese girl group will target mainly Japan, but with the global audience in mind.

“(The group is) mainly targeted for Japan and also globally, but they will end up debuting in Japan.” — Park Jin Young

Park Jin Young looked forward to this new project girl group, as the agency had spent a lot of time developing it.

“We prepared this for a very long time and we expect to debut them late next year or early 2020.” — Park Jin Young

While it is difficult to verify the current number of Japanese trainees at JYP Entertainment, the agency does house a well-known Japanese trainee, Mako Yamaguchi, who immediately became discussed among fans to be a part of this Japanese TWICE.

[​IMG]

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/jyp-announces-plans-debut-japanese-version-twice/

2. Dreamer95

Dreamer95 Star

Didn't Mako leave?

And won't project like this and Chinese NCT in the long run hurt Kpop? Like if Japan and China will have their own groups whose quality is at Kpop level, why would they need actual koreans anymore? From business perspective it is understandable step but from Hallyu perspective not so much.

Lubby00 likes this.
  3. Lubby00

Lubby00 Legend

TWICE IMPACT

Dreamer95 likes this.
  4. jasque

jasque Star

JYP, hire Miyu, please, i never asked anything :omgr:

JakeyWantsCakey and Lubby00 like this.
  5. Lubby00

Lubby00 Legend

Mashiro left, Mako is still in JYP

Tbh I was wondering why JYP wanted to make a Japanese version of Twice when Twice are huge in Japan as it is. Then again, Miss A was suppose to be Chinese Wondergirls (despite half the lineup being Korean) so they could be different

I guess this is like how AKB’s producer is having so many foreign sister groups. The sister groups are popular in their respective countries, but that success always reflects back to AKB48

So maybe that’s the case with foreign groups from JYP

For BoyStory, seeing as they’re a juvenile boy group, something like that can only work in China then in Korea. However, it still reflects to JYP

Dreamer95 likes this.
  6. Dreamer95

Dreamer95 Star

So far none of such projects worked, mostly because Korean people don't really know the foreign market work. But it would be interesting how things turn out in case of big companies.

7. centen

centen Artist

Kinda weird to me... if the Japanese have their own Japanese TWICE, then will they still want TWICE's Japanese songs?

CalB90 and joysoo like this.
  8. Lubby00

Lubby00 Legend

As far as their popularity outside of their countries then naw, but they’re pretty popular in their country.

While BoyStory is still in the predebut process (everything they releases are prereleases), they’ve managed to top charts and have a good size fandom.

Hopefully the Japanese Girl Group does well. DSP had Purretty when KARA were on their peak and they gained attention for their song they did for an anime, but they never came back since. Now Somin is in KARD & Chaekyung is in April while Shiyoon is debuting as an actress, and god knows what the other 2 are doing.

So yeah hope everything works out well.

9. Tsuntsuncat

Tsuntsuncat Artist

What does it mean for Somi and Ryujin tho ? Like is this JYPNGG or is Somis/Ryujins team it? Does Somis/Ryujins team come before or after ?

10. CalB90

CalB90 Artist

Sure, I'm always occupied
    This kind of thing is what amazes me about K-pop. The top companies have decent groups/artists that need the support and resources of their respected agencies, yet the companies continue to produce group after group. It's not a problem if each group/artist targets a different demographic as it shares the market. But there have been cases where fans of a certain group "migrate" to the new one because they like them more, or ignore the new one completely because they aren't as good. Or, a fan will like both but can't support both finanically, so will still chose one over the other. (*Multi-fandom problems*).

Twice is making great strides in Japan right now, so I'm just wondering if a full Japanese GG, modelled after Twice (JYP himself suggests they will be the Japanese version of Twice), would make Japanese fans more interested in the new GG, thus lessen the hype for Twice?

songqion likes this.
  11. MOEBIUS

MOEBIUS Artist

As long this new japanese group is under another label everything will be fine.

12. K_Pop_Captain

13. blackbeard

blackbeard Artist

casual cult member
    I wonder how this will affect Twice and their activities in Japan.

I wonder if this group would branch off to Korea as well the same way Twice is branching off to Japan seemingly like every other Korean comeback.

14. da_queen

da_queen Artist

Jyp ngg with somi and ryujin will debut first, and the japanese group will later. Both groups are not related at all and will have different members.

Jyp ngg with somi and ryujin will have a survival show this year and debut early next year in 2019.

Jyp japanese girl group is confirm to debut in late 2019 or early 2020. They will only promote in japan.

Tsuntsuncat likes this.
  15. Want_Some_Milk

TWICE 48?
    :dancer:

Lubby00 likes this.
  16. JakeyWantsCakey

I've been telling people this for months! In my opinion Mashiro was silly to leave when she did because JYP have been talking about this Japanese girl group since Sixteen and the only reason it's took them this long to debut is because all of the Japanese contestants made it into Twice. This is the TRUE genius of Sixteen as a show and JYP told us all but most of y'all weren't paying close enough attention to realise! He said that whoever didn't make it into the Sixteen group would have a second chance to debut in either the Japanese girl group or the next Korean group, the show wasn't just about building a fandom for Twice but also to build anticipation for his next two girl groups. Why do you think they had contestants on there that were too young to debut in the first place?

Due to Korean child labour laws, the hours you're allowed to work are extremely limited until you reach 16 (Korean age) which is why you very rarely see an idol debut before that age anymore. Yet Somi, Natty and Chaeryung were all still on the show even though they probably wouldn't have been able to fully promote if they had debuted and even though all three of them managed to consistently out perform some of the older contestants throughout the show, JYP still thought they 'needed more time to grow'...

I actually really like the fact that they're debuting two groups because it's like they are taking the pressure off of the new girls by taking that giant shadow Twice has cast and cutting it in half. Neither group has to feel the pressure of achieving the HUGE international success of Twice right away because both groups are gonna be more focused on a specific market with presumably very clear goals and to me, that's a lot less pressure.