NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

Jyp's groups dont have longevity and become forgotten very easily

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Jk996, Nov 29, 2020.

1. gerrard174

gerrard174 Trainee

Currency:
    Twice is definitely not being forgotten

2. kidsgonestray

kidsgonestray Stray Kids

Currency:
    Five Star Michelin
    SKZ don’t have an American distributer. Get your facts right.

cle19, Ruqi_Deen and hamsin5 like this.
  3. Armedryu

Armedryu Idol

Currency:
    Who is Twice?

sadsavely likes this.
  4. sadsavely

sadsavely Married to @euentbug

Currency:
    Devoted to Sunmi
    I dont know, think they have 3 chinese members and one vietnamese? And a leader named jiho i think? But i could be wrong

Armedryu likes this.
  5. EjellieBean

EjellieBean Once Cult Member

Currency:
    Momo's Wife
  6. junkieace

junkieace Super Rookie

Currency:
    I simp for SKZ but you completely lost me when you mentioned them being more memorable than 2pm and got7 in korea. WG and Itzy as well. All those groups would be more known than SKZ over there. They have way more public relevance.

Internationally, Got7 would also still be more well known. SKZ of course are growing real fast so this will change eventually.

but as it stands now currently, your listing isn’t accurate whatsoever

Jk996 likes this.
  7. SMsKKSilence

SMsKKSilence Super Rookie

Currency:
    Did you miss the part where I said achievements doesn't equal to memorability???

You are listing all these achievements but be honest with yourself, out of the total number of Kpop fans world wide, just how many actually know about those achievements? As far as many newer Kpop fans know (And there are A LOT) BTS is the first to have anything to do with Billboard and the West and that is my point. Many things those groups have done or achieved have already either been surpassed or forgotten and most Kpop fans don't know anything about it except maybe in Korea or if they are really old fans. I'm not saying all this to discredit or be disrespect to these older groups but it's true. Most people don't even know Wonder Girls did appeared on Western TV show or did Western collab with (Akon? Will I Am? I don't even remember myself) way before even BTS. They just don't know that much about the history of older Kpop groups (or care). Which, seems to be a thing that affects JYP groups the most out of big three.

Jk996 likes this.
  8. emanresu

emanresu Tzuyu Fanboy

Currency:
    I disagree.

Every generation is a cycle of rises to prominence and subsequent fading for new players.

The groups you've mentioned have hardly been forgotten. And your suggestion that TWICE could with any seriousness be considered to be forgotten is downright absurd. They literally just received a Daesang mere hours ago. Forgotten hardly.

Rather different groups hold different levels of sway and consideration for different fanbases depending on the location.

International types of subsequent generations will often hold SNSD and 2NE1 in higher regard in terms of recognition as they were the groups most focused on by international fanbases outside Asia introduced to kpop. So those are the groups newer international types will hear of. This view often doesn't hold in other locals and in Asia, specifically Korea, the literal epicenter for kpop.

This entire thread is filled with a very "international fanbase" centric world view and overweights those groups the kpop community outside Asia is fond of.

And also seems shortsighted. As a fan of kpop since 2007, who has seen the rise and fall of many groups.

New fans will always "forget" those of old to some degree. It's a cycle.

Most groups now prominent will fade eventually. New generations of fans will largely be unaware of or not care about them in coming years, expect for a niche among the community. In terms of the industry, they will still hold their place in the history however.

It happens to everyone.

Edit:

Also SNSD and 2NE1 did not have longevity to a degree that beyond a group like TWICE. 2NE1 is no more. SNSD for all intents and purposes disbanded long ago.

Legacy and memory is a different manner. But a group like TWICE will likely experience a similar legacy. They are along with BLACKPINK the premiere girl group of 3rd generation.

#88 emanresu, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    li-ghter, Armedryu, sanket77 and 5 others like this.
  9. anne_jay

anne_jay Super Rookie

Currency:
    Forgotten is not really the right term for it I think, as people would still answer yes when they're asked if they remember WG or 2PM or missA

But they're definitely less well acknowledged and appreciated. They're not the first thing that comes to your mind when you're speaking about the generation of Kpop. Which is weird because 2PM was huge during their peak and WG had stellar peak and maintained longevity. But yeah they're kinda in the background when we talk about 2nd gen, when they're actually one of the main characters in that era.

We will see whether that will repeat with this generation as well.

Jk996 likes this.
  10. SMsKKSilence

SMsKKSilence Super Rookie

Currency:
    You guys are really reading whatever you want to read. I specifically said Kpop is more than just Korea. Referring to how global Kpop has gotten. I never stated anywhere about who is most popular in Korean.

I listed StrayKidz because among JYP idols, along with Twice (and Itzy, who I ironically forgot) they are the only idols groups fron that company with a lot of memorability. Got7 isn't unpopular by any means (at least based on their album sales) but people just don't talk about them like that and among Kpop fans they kind of lack a presence. As quiet as Shinees fandom is, you still hear about Shinee and see their fans on the web hyping up Taemin, celebrating Minho coming back from the Army, posting group pictures and stuff. I don't even follow anything to do with Shinee but I still see them and hear about them way more than I do Got7. The only thing I ever hear about Got7 is about Jackson and that has more to do with his solo activities in China than the actual group whose comeback felt largely unmentioned.

Jk996 likes this.
  11. Ranart

Ranart Trainee

Currency:
    But I like the step of jype focusing in music more in this generation.
    Day6 with 88rising, Got7 with their subunits, Twice with Japan and starting to promote in west,
    Stray Kids collabed with Crunchyroll, Itzy has good start with korean gp.
    This is their investment.
    Their old investment is too much focused in acting career like Suzy, Junho, Taecyeon.
    That's why Twice has not a great start but jype are changing their visions

Jk996 likes this.
  12. junkieace

junkieace Super Rookie

Currency:
    No I read everything you’re just making 0 sense. And it sounds like this is just based soley off your own viewpoint. It’s not factual, no numbers or anything.

like, if you’re going to ask someone if they know shinee chances are they sure as hell are gonna know who 2PM are too. That’s a generation thing. And I could also say I’ve seen multiple articles with a volume of excited responses regarding popular 2pm members and their enlistment or releases as well.

also Got7 are at the top of social media mentions frequently, mainly twitter. Hell twitter even released an official list showing that. They’re talked about often, well above shinee etc etc. on various other platform sites too.
    [​IMG]

like, actually show me statistics, data, views, polls. Anything.

sanket77, dizzcity and 4d-maknae like this.
  13. ill-pray-4-u

ill-pray-4-u Super Rookie

Currency:
    Teacher
    Twice’s rapid decline, especially digitally, is showing that they might be forgotten.

Who knows though, only time will tell.

Jk996 and shunye like this.
  14. chounim

chounim Trendsetter

Currency:
    I don't think "forgotten" is the best word to describe it. Most their groups just don't seem to be able to maintain their hype or have longevity. The huge majority of them also don't resign with the company once their initial contracts are up. (I think 2PM minus Taeckyeon are the only exception?)

Jk996, shunye and junkieace like this.
  15. dokyeomhive

dokyeomhive Rookie

Currency:
    omg ppl mad but its true, as a suzy stan ik firsthand its true with miss a. and unfortunately im nervous for itzy bc they remind me of miss a but without a suzy. i think itzy will have some longevity internationally at least bc jyp is pushing them to have a big intl fandom. also i dont think these jyp groups were forgotten necessarily bc ppl still acknowledge their impact on the industry and their hits, but they just struggle to maintain that relevance after about 5 years as group.

Jk996 and shunye like this.
  16. 4d-maknae

4d-maknae Public Figure

Currency:
    I feel like I already had this convo...
    It's not american distribution to have your album sold on Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc? The fact that their american fans have many local stores as options where to pre-order their albums from seems like american distribution to me

17. kidsgonestray

kidsgonestray Stray Kids

Currency:
    Five Star Michelin
    American distribution requires a US company backing - but they don’t have an American label unlike other JYP artists.

18. rosseannepark

rosseannepark Celebrity

Currency:
    Hoe for Rosé
    Twice, WG forgotten?! o_Oo_Oo_O

19. expsn

expsn Trainee

Currency:
    Twice Bodyguard
    Lmao....Till this day when people talk about Beastly Idol they know it's 2PM. Korean can name every member of 2PM easi
    Lmao....Till this day when people talk about Beastly Idol they know it's 2PM. Till this day Korean can easily name every member of 2PM. But the miss a one is maybe true. Other than Suzy I'm sure they already forgot who in miss a

20. 4d-maknae

4d-maknae Public Figure

Currency:
    Idk how that works, I know twice are the only ones with an american label in jype, but distribution is different and skz does have one. Their albums are available in american stores, have special preorders links for US fans, etc. Unlike groups with zero distribution, like Izone for example