JYP Trainees get hit

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Musicz, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musicz

Musicz Trainee

Currency:
    Jay Park was a recent guest on the ‘The Glow Up Podcast,’ where he talked about all kinds of stuff. What will undoubtedly get the most attention, though, starts at around 17:32 when he talks about his experience as a trainee, which came under JYP Entertainment before debuting in 2PM.

Jay says the training killed a lot of his passion and compared it to programming, “It helped in a lot of ways, but it also killed my passion and creativity in a lot of ways as well. It’s kind of like programming almost. Sing it like this, do it like this. So like you lose your individuality.” He went on to say that the training caused him to stop listening to music and writing lyrics.

Later, he talked about trainees getting hit over making mistakes, “The culture in itself was kinda like when you get certain lyrics wrong or you get a certain dance move wrong they would literally hit you. That’s kinda like the Korean way, you know? It’s not like that now, it’s much better now, but back then [if you got a dance move wrong] they were like, “You mothafucka!” (Laughs) They wouldn’t do that to me because I was very good at dancing, but I would see this dude next to me and he was getting some shit wrong and he getting his ass whooped.

While some are busy defending JYPE, this should come as no surprise to people who didn’t have their heads buried in the sand. Fucked up? Yeah, but the military-esque training, complete with corporal punishment was what I expected. I mean the companies never specify what kind of family they are, after all.

Even including all that, though, the whole podcast was generally just chill and worth a listen, especially if you’re a fan of Jay.

Viv_Iann17 likes this.
  2. SKZ-Rin

SKZ-Rin Stan Baby Photo

Currency:
    paying for stray kids' meals
    Well as he said it's better now. Still can't believe they ever hit someone though. I can't believe it was actual hitting though.. more like a slight .. ya know... slap on the ass like friends do or smth idk lol.

wonderboy47 and Viv_Iann17 like this.
  3. Musicz

Musicz Trainee

Currency:
    lmfao. nope it is. u must not have asian parents. physical things like this is extremely common around east asians. i even watched a documentary of a gg, don't remember their name, but where their manager flat out slapped one of the members

4. JackieBunny

JackieBunny Super Rookie

Currency:
    Not exactly surprising, my Korean classmates told me that a lot of schools used to do corporal punishments (hitting with a thin stick to the palms or back of the calf's, etc) but at least its better now. From my memory I know that hitting punishment is now banned in schools.

5. Musicz

Musicz Trainee

Currency:
    banned now? thats awesome. from where i came from, its still relevant everyday
    :sweatr:

Viv_Iann17 likes this.
  6. SKZ-Rin

SKZ-Rin Stan Baby Photo

Currency:
    paying for stray kids' meals
    well I'm german so no I don't. wow :/

Musicz likes this.
  7. JackieBunny

JackieBunny Super Rookie

Currency:
    Oh, thats harsh, may I ask where are you from? :eek: but as I said I don't know if the ban is legit my classmate told me and I trust what he said.

Viv_Iann17 and Musicz like this.
  8. whateverwonwoo

Currency:
    i've watched that documentary too, it was 9muses' then leader, she got slapped by a rolled up newspaper or something, it looked like she was used to it by the lack of a reaction. the thing is, i doubt they (big companies at least) hit any of their trainees anymore. if anything it'll be more common around smaller companies. but i'm sure there'll be laws, punishments if it's ever found out

angeler88 and Musicz like this.
  9. ilikeJB

ilikeJB Celebrity

Currency:
    In Asia, many kids are whopped every day and still grew up healthily in all ways. Myself included. Don't judge it's culture just because you don't understand it.

If you listen to the whole podcast (which I didn't do at first and went all judgmental, sorry Jay), Jay said it in the most laid back way, like its a normal thing. Even he wasn't exactly seeing that as a negative thing. As he said, the Korean way. It is obvious that there is a difference in culture so you can't really say it's wrong either.

Everyone somehow imagines a full on beating till blood is everywhere when he said "hit".
    :sketchyk:

Even Jay eventually said he'd never change that experience he had in JYP. Trainee days in their generation were crap, Jay, 2PM, 2AM, they are all vocal about it. But that is the thing about these guys, they are all pretty chill about it even when they say it's crap. So if I judge the training system when those guys that actually went through it are chill af about it, I'm the big wimp.

#9 ilikeJB, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    angeler88, madeluxe and Musicz like this.
  10. Musicz

Musicz Trainee

Currency:
    India :)

JackieBunny and Exbbsy12 like this.
  11. Lovely_Cornchips

Currency:
    Being really far up Chanyeol's Ass
    People need to watch 2PM and 2AM's pre-debut show some of them physically fought each other and wound up bloody....JYP's training back in the day was no joke.

Musicz likes this.
  12. Darkyoda

Darkyoda ɢoldeɴ ѕтαr

Currency:
    Buddy Gang
    Lol I am not surprised. It's not just Korea though. Asian culture is normally like that. If you get something wrong or do something, they hit you.

ilikeJB likes this.
  13. Exbbsy12

Exbbsy12 Idol

Currency:
    Didnt SVTs fan raise an issue of SVT getting corporal punishment too?

Queen likes this.
  14. mostlydeadinside

mostlydeadinside Super Rookie

Currency:
    Yeah they did and that was kind of recent.

Queen likes this.
  15. madeluxe

madeluxe Super Rookie

Currency:
    I feel this!

ilikeJB likes this.
  16. bitchyfangirl

bitchyfangirl Super Rookie

Currency:
    if I remember correctly, SM Town used to hit their artists. Andy from Shinhwa got punched in the face apparently. Minwoo and Junjin got their fair share of punishments too. During the DBSK training period, I think it changed they were just scolded savagely/had to squat or do push ups and they have to write a long ass apology letters and a long explanation on what they did wrong. I think nowadays, SM Town is nicer to their trainees (they still get scolded and have to write long ass essays) but they also threaten them that they will never debut or get dropped out if they keep on messing up.

17. ilikeJB

ilikeJB Celebrity

Currency:
    True. As an Asian I don't appreciate westerners coming to our country telling us "You can't practice that, your child will be scarred forever". I don't even have physical scars and I got hit by my parents when I was a kid a lot because I won't come home by 7. I actually grew up well and still love my parents to death.

Westerners imagines that we get beat up when we say our parents 'hit' us, when really, it hurts for 5 minutes and the consequence is that you'd never try to piss off your parents again.

18. Darkyoda

Darkyoda ɢoldeɴ ѕтαr

Currency:
    Buddy Gang
    I know right. I personally think it makes us less spoiled as well :yesr:

multifandom_3 and ilikeJB like this.
  19. riyakpopfan

riyakpopfan Newbie

Currency:
    Yeah no kidding. People take it too far sometimes. Of course abuse is never okay, but some western people act like if you smack your child once, you're a psychopath and should be locked up forever. A little discipline is not a bad thing.

multifandom_3 and ilikeJB like this.
  20. madforthis

madforthis Newbie

Currency:
    He's right. I heard training to be a Second Gen idol was brutal but it's better now, not necessarily because they care about the trainees but the skyrocketing of social media and smartphones make it a lot easier to get caught and cause a public scandal of abuse.

Musicz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.