J-netizens opinion about TWICE media play in their debut...

Discussion in 'J-POP' started by bsthendal, Jun 29, 2017.

?

Do you think TWICE are really popular in Japan?

1. Yes, they are queens!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. No way, it's just shameless media play

27 vote(s)
    58.7%
  1. bsthendal

bsthendal Rookie

Many Japanese netizens are suspicious whether TWICE’s popularity is real. What’s stirring up those emotions are how they are being excessively pushed more than they have achieved/earned.

“Mezamashi TV” (Fuji TV) and “ZIP!” (Nippon TV) and other media are reporting that TWICE is popular amongst female high school students even before their debut in Japan. Even on June 6’s “Ohayo Nippon” (NHK), they featured them for about 12 minutes.

(…)

With this excessive push, netizens are saying “The force-feeding of hallyu has started again”. It can’t be helped that people aren’t very accepting of that fact that an idol group who hasn’t debuted yet is being called a huge boom.

[+2752, -51] Goodbye South Korea

[+2963, -52]

[​IMG] (The picture is of a staff from the TV show “ZIP!” searching for TWICE fans. About a month ago, they featured TWICE saying that they are “very popular” and 80% of young women recognized them but in reality they purposely searched for their fans)

—->[+961, -8] You are such a capable person, I’m laughing so hard.

—->[+516, -7] ZIP always fakes things like this. They searched for fans and made it seem like they’re actually popular. (ZIP is famous for hiring actors and making them comment as if they are a randomly picked citizen but they got caught because they used the same actor more than once)

[+2430, -25] They’re just force-feeding.

[+2474, -57] To be honest, they don’t have the type of face or song that is positively accepted in Japan. Even if they weren’t from Korea, they wouldn’t become popular.

—->[+1034, -9] Even if we’re both in Asia, the types of faces that we like in Japan and in Korea are completely different.

[+2110, -33] Hey hey, please tell me this is a lie. More Korean (topics in media)?

—->[+117, -7] Seems like it. Last week they were introducing a K-POP group that I’ve never heard of by saying “They’re a globally popular group that surpasses Justin Bieber”. It’s very clearly a lie but they’re force feeding us with it.

[+1123, -26] JYP is force-feeding us.

[+1372, -32] I have no interest at all!

[+2409, -27]

[​IMG] (“Who?!”)

[+1064, -21] It’s fake.

[+1313, -48] I watched their performance but I don’t feel their charm at all.

[+1802, -25] Oh yeah because they can’t make money in China. So of course they will come to Japan.

[+961, -36] Heard about them for the first time!

[+1762, -24] Even if it’s a Korean group the Japanese and Taiwanese members are popular right? They’re new song is shit.

[+814, -30] Their make-up is so outdated.

[+2060, -30] Not only are the commercial broadcasts force-feeding but so is NHK, I really hate it. We’re not paying license fees (NHK fees) for this.

[​IMG]

[+729, -23] It’s fake though.

[+1083, -29] I’ve never seen or heard of them.

[+1576, -34] Korea is full of liars.

[+836, -24] They’re not popular.

[+1906, -18] More importantly, Philippines is in danger. (links article talking about ISIS in the Philippines)

—->[+323, -5] This isn’t reported much on TV right? Japanese TV is rotten. I can gain more information from Girlschannel.

[+849, -66] I bet they’re gonna use the same gimmicks as BTS to sell (high touch/handshake events) and brag that they won against someone. I feel bad for Kame and Yamapi, I hate BTS, all they do it high touch/handshake events.

[+1372, -18] They’re trying to create a fake boom again but this time they’re using a new trick by adding Japanese members. They’ll disappear soon.

[+688, -15] I don’t think Japanese people will be tricked by fake popularity. Thank you for your hard work of force-feeding though.

[+694, -12] Huge boom? It makes me laugh.

[+1223, -17] The tactics TV uses for force feeding is the same every time lol. We won’t be tricked again right?

[​IMG] (They asked women of all age groups what they’re favorite type of hot pot was and “Kimchi chigae” was #1 for all age groups and another time they said bulkogi pizza is the most popular type of pizza which is obviously a lie)

[+788, -30] They force us to pay license fees (NHK) only to force feed us with Korea. I really want them to stop. Not that I ever paid the fees.

[+798, -19] Who? Anyways, I want Japan to break up diplomatic ties with South Korea.

[+1018, -49] The more educated the person is, the more likely they are to hate K-POP. Because those who are educated watch/read the news.

[​IMG]

(The article says: 36,162 Men and women between 20s-60s were surveyed. 84.4% replied that they hate K-POP. If TWICE start their activities things may change but it seems very difficult as of now. When it’s reported that it’s a “boom” people can’t help but feel like they are “being force-fed again” judging by these numbers.)

[+559, -34] Japanese people should be angry. There’s no way something like this would be popular.

[+362, -21] If you want to be popular in another country, you need to have the appearance and song that will be accepted by that country. If they were at the level of Sonim (Zainichi Korean singer who was popular at one point) and the old BoA, and Youn-A (a Korean model who only works in Japan now), then they might’ve been popular. This group is too gaudy.

[+548, -14] From Hallyu, the only one who was actually popular amongst real Japanese people was Yon-sama (Bae Yong Joon). Other than him, the people with their names somewhat known (to the GP) is BoA and Tohoshinki (DBSK).

[+457, -7] We don’t need a popularity that is manufactured like the Korean group that won the rookie award from Record Taisho (Ikon).

—->[+102, -3] That was the first and last time I saw them… What was with that, seriously lol. That group couldn’t even be force-fed to us.

[+317, -2] What’s with the people acting like NHK is a proper broadcast station? Saying things like “NHK surely lowered their level”. They were a good-for-nothing broadcast station from the beginning.

[+234, -7] From biased journalism to force-feeding Korean things. Japan’s mass communication (media) is done for.

[+439, -2] Correction, they’re the most popular group in Korea but in Japan, only a small portion of K-POP fans, and the media who received advertisement fees are making a big deal out of it. K-POP is popular to a small group of people but the news saying “People all over Japan are…” is false. Don’t misunderstand.

—->[+143, -3] Edit. Correction, they’re the most popular group in Korea but in Japan, only a small portion of K-POP fans, and the media who received advertisement fees from JYP are making a big deal out of it. K-POP is popular to a small group of people but the news saying “People all over Japan are…” is false. Don’t misunderstand the current generation. To add on, K-POP fans (in Japan?) don’t really like it when it’s force-fed in Japan. They get bashed easily for things that may or may not be true. So they want to be left alone and quietly support their favorite groups to be honest. TWICE are already being force-fed so they have a lot of antis. Don’t worry about it.

[+408, -20] I’m in my first year of high school but TWICE has never became a topic of discussion.

[+333, -9] If they were active in Korea for a long time, became popular, their name became well-known, and they gained fans in Japan, I would understand. But they’re not well known and haven’t done shit but are “very popular in Japan!” Aren’t they being too blatant?

[+287, -5] Please learn your lesson from the first time the K-POP boom died in Japan.

[+587, -152] (Out of them) Tzuyu is the cutest.

[​IMG]

—->[+289, -5] Oh the Taiwanese girl? She is actually cute.

[+277, -3] I don’t care about South Korea. I want to know more about what’s going on in the Philippines.

[+210, -3] Unlike other broadcast stations, NHK takes fees from the citizens. Isn’t this crazy? They’re praising something that 80% of the citizens hate. It would be acceptable for us to file a complaint. Because no one around me knows them. Even BIGBANG is more known than them.

[+279, -1] What’s sickening is that the country that keeps doing bad things to Japan is shamelessly trying to do business here.

[+221, -18] SNSD’s Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun, and although she’s an ex-member, Jessica are good at singing. But TWICE who is supposedly going to “surpass” SNSD is very lacking when it comes to singing. The leader? Is treated like she is the best singer, but she just has volume but isn’t good.

—->[+139, -18] Jessica’s voice quality is good but she doesn’t have a lot of volume. She has a fancy voice but she’s not good.

[+340, -41] My oldest daughter who goes to a private school in Kansai said “For K-POP, acquiring foreign currency is the national policy. So they try to sell it as if it’s popular. But most of the people around me are into bands” She sounds so much like an adult! And she seems to understand (the situation/tactics) I’m a surprised mother nearing my 40s.

[+291, -6]

[​IMG] (I’m sorry to say but K-POP is already over)

[+223, -3] I don’t mind if they debut in Japan but don’t lie saying things like “They’re very popular amongst Middle and High School students!”. I’m sure a portion of them like them but not everyone is interested.

—->[+115, -3] People become suspicious because they report “a portion” as “everyone”. Japanese people aren’t that stupid. It’s not TWICE’s fault but Japan and Zainichi media that force feeds Korea. Idols don’t have any say.

——–>[+120, -1] You’re right!!! Same thing about (barely reporting about) Philippines but Japanese media is seriously rotten.

[+298, -7] The Taiwanese girl is very beautiful and I was surprised. I looked her up but she’s very young.

[117, -3] Where are they popular? I live in Japan but I’ve never heard of them.

[+155, -2] This is absurd. Whoever says something is popular wins. Those who accept it without thinking it’s strange, what kind of people are they?

[+107, -2] Whether they’re from South Korea or not, they don’t have any originality. The idol market is already saturated so it’s impossible.

[+145, -5] I watched TWICE’s video on Youtube. I don’t think they can surpass SNSD?

[+159, -8] Correction, if you’re a K-POP fan, you’ll know them for sure but if they write that they’re very popular amongst female high school students all over Japan, of course it’ll rub them the wrong way… Why would they sell them like this… I’m a fan since debut but I really wanted them to avoid force-feeding because I knew this would happen.

[+252, -78] I think these two are beautiful.

[​IMG]

[+113, -10] BTS copied AKB by holding handshake events. They’re doing the exact same thing. BTS and other groups who hold handshake events for fans have no right to trash talk AKB.

[​IMG](Their CD includes a ticket to a handshake event)

—->[+49, -4] I see these kids on TV lately. Are they popular? I’ve been thinking they don’t have a single handsome member. And why is the name so tacky?

[+219, -6] Sorry, I like TWICE but they don’t need to debut in Japan. They’re just gonna fabricate things and force-feed the public. In Japan they’ll just be called “plastic surgery prostitutes”. They’re a South Korean group so just work hard there.

[+85, -7] Their new song’s taste is seriously strange LOL. Their debut song was the best so it sounds even more strange. That’s where they’re brittle. SM who constantly puts out good songs are impressive.

[+114, -3] I read the title and I had no idea who TWICE was but since it said “Popular even before debut” so I thought “Force feeding of something Korean again?” and I was right.

[+196, -2] I see comments saying they didn’t want them to debut in Japan but they have Japanese members so wasn’t the group created with debuting in Japan in mind?

[+298, -29] I wrote this everywhere but this is something I experienced. I saw what it was like when the group SHINee debuted in Japan.

They were at the fountain in Ikebukuro Sunshine Hiroba, and I coincidentally saw them. The event started and SHINee was on the stage singing and dancing.

At the very front there were fans who saved spots by putting sheets on the floor. But sadly there was almost no one around and it was pitiful to watch. (Fans were standing on the sheet dancing and clapping but around them, there was no one)

And when the song ends, the staff says “If you buy a CD, you can shake their hand and take pictures with them!!” loudly. So the fans started making lines and they each bought the CDs, shook their hand, and took pictures and they seemed to be having fun.

But the lines ended quickly so the members were just standing on stage… So the staff again says “If you buy a CD, you can take pictures with them! How about it?” many many times. And the members just stand still on stage…

I felt sorry for them so since the CD was pretty cheap (I believe it wasn’t even $10. Maybe around $5?) and I felt bad I was thinking of buying it for them…? But since there was no one around and I felt embarrassed, I couldn’t find the courage to go up.

I remember going home and telling my parents “There was a Korean idol group at Sunshine but there was no one and I felt so bad~”

However the next day something very surprising happened. I was coincidentally watching a morning show and they said “SHINee debuted in Japan! Fans flood in to Sunshine!!” And in the video it showed me, who was just waiting for a friend. (They showed others who were just coincidentally there). This is a real experience.

---------------------------------------------

In summary, according to this article, JYP and Warner Music Japan are forcing TWICE success in Japan, their popularity is BS...

Source: https://randomjtranslations.wordpre...eep-featuring-twice-is-their-popularity-real/

2. Lubby00

Lubby00 Icon

#2 Lubby00, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  3. arinsen

arinsen Super Rookie

But people still bought the album.

4. Alina1441

Alina1441 Super Rookie

Yeah, okay, When TWICE achieves something is because of mediaplay - they're not popular.
    PUH-LEASE the entire country is talking about TT and the album sold almost 100K albums.
    Give me a break. Give TWICE a break.

growlin, AliiRen, ezenk and 3 others like this.
  5. truechoi

truechoi Trendsetter

Onew's illegal wife
    And just what does THAT mean??

since_6MIX and TopThis like this.
  6. Chikkin

Chikkin Super Rookie

damn, so many people sound so angry

force fed or not people are still eating it though, i remember snsd getting a similar heated response but they still done well

and that tzuyu gif [​IMG] what is happening to me

TopThis and Mynty like this.
  7. Alina1441

Alina1441 Super Rookie

PS - These comments are really racist. WTH Japan?

growlin, AliiRen, ezenk and 2 others like this.
  8. vpfish

vpfish Rookie

i was reading your post and then this comment came up lol it was funny

9. lighterxx

lighterxx Married to : @twentyonejongdae

They mean Japan likes females almost completely natural or fake to the point of cartoonish. Koreans wants american features, pointy but small nose, big eyes, big boobs, thin body.

10. IgotExosBangtan

Well damn, what did TWICE do to them?

11. Alina1441

Alina1441 Super Rookie

They dared to breathe.

Lubby00, since_6MIX, AliiRen and 2 others like this.
  12. _Yeri

_Yeri Super Rookie

doing nothing with my life
    Damn netizens are going at it. But this is the truth all the "popular kpop groups in Japan" are only popular with japanese kpop fans. But after all of this (hate) TWICE will still be more well known than be4 so thanks

EDIT: Thanks for your effort translating It appreciate it :)

AliiRen and xwhisperx like this.
  13. IgotExosBangtan

Huh? Doesn't every group do that? And I thought this was about TWICE!

growlin and TopThis like this.
  14. YGDUNGEONVRP

YGDUNGEONVRP A-List

wow J-netizens are damn savage's

15. ShelterRegulus

ShelterRegulus Blackwing Queen
    Head Moderator

Former College Student
    I actually like Twice, but I kind of agree that there was some media play involved (which isn't exactly a bad thing). With their rising popularity in South Korea, JYP decided to use that momentum and let them debut in Japan so they can establish their fandom in Japan. It's like some people say, "Strike the iron while it's hot".

TopThis likes this.
  16. truechoi

truechoi Trendsetter

Onew's illegal wife
    What in the?....

Japan, they're not asking you to fall in love with them ffs...

growlin, vpfish and lighterxx like this.
  17. Lubby00

Lubby00 Icon

Yeah so savage with how Japan's Pann is practically saying they're flops despite selling nearly 100k on their debut album in 2 days, topping Japanese music charts, and having a 20k+ attendance for their debut showcase

They racist comments too, so savage and edgy, totally appropriate too. It's towards Twice too which much be even cooler :confused:

Wonder if it's as cool as when Big Bang got these sorts of comments o_O

[​IMG]

#17 Lubby00, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    ypmonce, TopThis and Alina1441 like this.
  18. KawaiiSamii

KawaiiSamii Trendsetter

This is old af. Also not the general opinion of Twice.

Plus, y'all bought the album.

19. Abeamus

Abeamus Married to @Couponski

All I see is that J-netizens are just as good as Knetizens when it comes to having a diploma in talking nonsense.

growlin and Lubby00 like this.
  20. KPOPSesame

KPOPSesame Newbie

"[+277, -3] I don’t care about South Korea. I want to know more about what’s going on in the Philippines."

HAHAHAHAHA To give him/her an answer. I, who is actually from Mindanao of the Philippines, can say that WE ARE SAFE in the hands of President Duterte. :) Martial Law isn't something to be afraid of, you can even take a selfie with the police men and soldiers. ONLY SENATOR TRILLANES TALKS SHITTY THINGS JUST LIKE HOW THESE JAPANESE COMMENTS ABOUT TWICE. HAHAHAHA Haters do have a lot of things to say... kbye :D