I‘ve noticed something....

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Salalalala, Aug 2, 2020 at 12:36 PM.

1. Salalalala

Salalalala Founding member of Chaewon's cult

Currency:
    And I really didn’t create this to start a fanwar or bash anyone. I just wanted to point out something that caught my attention in the KPop community, and I wanted to address it.

And that is the fact that people treat stage presence/ aura as if it is a musical talent.
    Sometimes it even seems like it’s more important than singing/dancing/rapping

Don’t get me wrong, I do think it is impressive that someone can perform well on stage, because that’s obviously not something anyone can do.

However, when someone is good performer, they are usually treated like they’re very very talented, while that isn’t always the case for others:

(this is not to make people hate on them, they are just examples)

Examples:

IZ*ONE Sakura and Hyewon being on the same level in dancing and singing, but people constantly bashing Hyewon for her „emotionless face“ and claiming that she was useless and talentless, while praising Sakura endlessly.

People saying that ITZY is one of the most talented groups, while (imo) their only outstanding skills are dancing and performing.

And I’m sure there are many more examples.

What do you guys think about this? Do you agree or disagree?

I’d love to know your opinions on this, but please stay respectful and polite, because I just wanted to point out something I’ve noticed, not hating on someone or starting a fight.

Edit: Okay, I think some people might have misunderstood me a little. I’m not trying to say that stage presence is unimportant, because it’s not, it’s clearly one of the most important factors for success. What I’m trying to say is that when someone might only be a good performer, people act like that person is overall a very talented idol, not just a good performer. And as I said, I’m not tying to bash anyone here, it’s just something I’ve noticed:

#1 Salalalala, Aug 2, 2020 at 12:36 PM
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 1:21 PM
  2. L_catzzz

L_catzzz Elite

Currency:
    I don't know, my faves have it all......:siptear:

3. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Veteran

Currency:
    Astronaut
    people overrate those they find charismatic
    Its not just kpop
    Its everywhere in every profession

icequeen56, yeet-me, IU_UI and 9 others like this.
  4. neulshina

neulshina Super Rookie

Currency:
    泣き虫
    I think if you are a ''performer'' you have to perform well, not just sing well or dance well. At the end of the day they are working for serving stages for fans mostly.
    If someone do a high note or dance sharply, but no attractive aura surrounding them in any ways, I will get bored. I wanna see them enjoying and feeling the music like they expect us too. Saying ''Hope you like our music!!!!!!! ^^'' but acting bored of the song since the start of the stage is off-putting for me. I wanna share common feeling with the idols I stan, I wanna see them get that song's and stage's presence.

5. dobbys-retainer

dobbys-retainer Trainee

Currency:
    This!

6. valkerie16

valkerie16 Trainee

Currency:
    well, in my opinion, being able to sing and dance well is great and all....
    But if you're not good at engaging an audience, or performing on a stage, then you're missing a vital ingredient.
    Its part of the job as an idol and a performer to be able to catch and retain an audience's attention.

7. tornpet

tornpet Trainee

Currency:
    The same thing with Jennie and Lisa.. Lisa is the better dancer but people usually say Jennie has better stage presence

8. Ninalabkon

Ninalabkon ><> Mermaid Unicorn <><
    . .

Currency:
    To me, stage presence is having confidence in what you present. You can be in the shittiest outfit with horrendous dance moves but if you exude that energy that you are at your best and people see it, that's stage presence.
    It doesn't have to be all about being badass on stage and hitting all the notes.

If you are confident and people believe in your emotionless face, that's stage presence. People feel a pull when you're on stage.

Salalalala and Tomato_sauce like this.
  9. thebadguy

thebadguy Rookie

Currency:
    Same

10. baejoohyunniee

Currency:
    just a local :mad: advocate
    i agree especially with the izone example imo sakura is a worse dancer than hyewon :waterr:

Salalalala likes this.
  11. BANAnas_123

BANAnas_123 Super Rookie

Currency:
    So, you're saying that good dancers receive praise even when their vocals aren't amazing? This is actually probably true and is something I've noticed on survival shows like Produce. People managed to get into A rank with sub par vocals if they could dance but trainees who were good singers were placed into C or B if they weren't great at dancing. It makes sense, though since kpop is so performance heavy and it's the first thing that people usually take note of.

Salalalala likes this.
  12. doja-mousee

doja-mousee Trainee

Currency:
    but for me, stage presence is a talent in itself. you gotta have the certain charm to catch the audience attention. and not everyone has that. my music teacher once told me that even the most talented person wont be accepted in a musical or a production if he/she didnt have that certain charisma for the role. notice how some popular pop singers are certainly not the most talented but they do command the stage, making the audience disregard their shortcomings. so i guess in a way their stage presence make the audience think they are more talented because they were magnetized by their performance or something even if there are better singers/dancers out there.

13. shizuru

shizuru Trendsetter

Currency:
    I find stage presence more important but that's because I'm interested in attending concerts/etc. I won't go to a liveshow of someone whos boring and emotionless no matter how talented they are because it makes for a boring concert.

If you really love that persons talent that you'll sit through a mediocre live performance of them then good for you but for me I need a group to be upstanding live performers to consider seeing them live and spending more time on them than listening to a couple songs on itunes tbh

Salalalala likes this.
  14. Salalalala

Currency:

I think she’s improved immensely, the dance break in SSOTS proved it

baejoohyunniee likes this.
  15. ancor

ancor Celebrity

Currency:
    Music is very subjective and based on an individuals preference. Someone's opinion isn't fact so worrying about what those people say or think it is pointless.

PERSONALLY TO ME----You can be the best vocalist/singer in the world, but if your face and performance feels like I am watching paint dry on a wall...I could care less for your musical talents...

It's why I dislike a few "popular" singers because they just look boring to me

16. visualkei4402

visualkei4402 Super Rookie

Currency:
    Inner Circle ♡♡
    Being a good performer is part of their job and it's also a skill.
    I also believe that the biggest part of being a good performer/ having good stage presence is performing with emotions. An idol whose job is to perform and who doesn't show any emotions and sincerity while performing is a bad performer. Therefore I don't know why I would like watching his performances.

ancor and Salalalala like this.
  17. luckyStarLight

luckyStarLight Celebrity

Currency:
    Idol with no sp is boring
    Idol that don't bring something different to their stage are boring

Sp is not about dancing skills or hard dance

18. Salalalala

Currency:
    I agree, stage presence is very important. Imo it’s what gets most groups to be successful. I’m not trying to say that stage presence is sometimes that should be paid less attention to . I just noticed that people claim someone is overall talented when they’re only a good performer.

19. glitglpwm

glitglpwm Rookie

Currency:
    "IZ*ONE Sakura and Hyewon being on the same level in dancing and singing, but people constantly bashing Hyewon for her „emotionless face“ and claiming that she was useless and talentless, while praising Sakura endlessly."

Do you watch their fancam? Just curious because in my opinion Sakura's dancing is not on the same level. She's better. She improved a lot. And she still gets a lot of criticism anyway. This is not a great example. And Sakura some facial expressions.

Sakura's dancing is better.

^Sakura is a better performer.

nenen-kim and Salalalala like this.
  20. Zazatwin22

Zazatwin22 Public Figure

Currency:
    Blah blah blah. If you dont have stage presence then im not interested. Sorry not sorry.

miyare likes this.