Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

IU is my self-aware Queen iljin thug

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by TOPANDCHANYEOL, Apr 21, 2017.

1. TOPANDCHANYEOL

Listen, this is an utter fangirl rant. I hope you all can bear with me lol
    I have been listening to the album on repeat and oh god I cannot with this woman..

IU is like a walking meta-commentary of the kpop industry and the way it treats women. The self-awareness reflected in her art and her image is astounding. As someone who was infantilized and fetishized by her "uncle fans" and her company for the major early part of her career, her continued thematic use of growing up and finding oneself is poignant (and honestly makes me proud as a fan). From the daze-induced, confused "I'm 23. I'm a riddle" to the restrained "I like this, I'm 25. I got this, I'm truly fine"

This woman completely out-does Madonna with the way she takes control of her sexuality. Her songs are about self-identity, sexuality and the contradictory nature of her career--(Being a child, but being a woman. Being adored for her constructed "virginal little-sister" image but being disliked/ witch-hunted for calling out the hypocrisy of the Lolita-ness of it all) Her work calls out the id of the barely-legal pedophilic desire with which her early career and fandom was underlaid. This feels uncomfrotable, because it calls society out. The witch-hunts happen, because it makes us feel uncomfortable. And that's exactly want IU wants to make us feel, because she WAS the child being sexualized for a while in her career.

TL;DR- IU is my self-aware queen and she slays.

2. kddicted

kddicted Star

I'm not a fan of hers in anyway nor do I listen to her music but she is very sweet and the messages in her songs are strong and she has a good voice. She is really self aware

TOPANDCHANYEOL likes this.
  3. chekas1292

chekas1292 Star

I enjoyed reading this post more than the songs hahaha, nicely written :yesr:

TOPANDCHANYEOL and borabora_97 like this.
  4. evilhomer4

evilhomer4 Rookie

She is one of the few true artist in the kpop industry.

mabnab, jbeanbean and TOPANDCHANYEOL like this.
  5. TOPANDCHANYEOL

Thank you!! You don't have to leave your faves or like an artist's work to respect what they do. More people in kpop should learn that lesson hehe.

Hahahah thanks I have been ranting non-stop everywhere. You don't like IU's stuff much, I assume? But did you hear Palette? GD's verse is sooooo good and well-meshed. I love it!! And GD's lyrics, I cannot :loverr2:

chekas1292 and kddicted like this.
  6. jbeanbean

jbeanbean Artist

dude her song 23... the lyrics is the most relatable thing you could ever hear

it feels like you're supposed to be an adult but you're just lost. you feel like you have to pick the right 'life' answer of who you want to be.
    stuck between child and adult you feel like time is ticking faster and you're wasting it. 24.. 25... 26.........30

do I do this or this? if I do this and it's wrong I won't have time to do this.
    which one? try to guess

the 25 song is comforting. i hope... I can get out of the fogginess like that haha

7. catallena

catallena Artist

pallete ballads are just one of the bests of the career
    not to mention jam jam one of the best songs in kpop [​IMG]

8. TOPANDCHANYEOL

OH MY GOD. EXACTLY WORD TO WORD THIS. Like, you can feel the transition. I honestly feel like crying every time she says "I got this"
    Also in the MV all the references to her earlier work. It was all so good, I cannot deal with this.

chekas1292 and jbeanbean like this.
  9. TOPANDCHANYEOL

WHERE IS THE JAM JAM MV AT THOUGH???

jbeanbean likes this.
  10. chekas1292

chekas1292 Star

i agree, i liked this comeback, it was very age-appropriate and she knows who she is and it's very clear through her songs. it's refreshing and very commendable :yesr:

The song with GD was okay for me, i think I need to listen to it a few, but i absolutely loved GD's verse.. I miss him. :(

and im glad u are back with ur reviews, they're refreshing. I hope u stay around for iKON's comeback as well. and btw! i haven't congratulated u enough for making into NYU. amazing!! congratulations!!!:loverr3:

jbeanbean and TOPANDCHANYEOL like this.
  11. _CLeO

_CLeO Artist

Lee Ji Eun is a musical genius

12. TOPANDCHANYEOL

Hehhhe I am going to stick around this time! I feel oddly inspired and the forum seems fun again. I can't wait to do one for iKON. I wish I'd one for WINNER tho :(
    The GD verse was divine! I love it when he raps in his low, sexy voice. He did on 'Missing You' and 'Complex' as well! Just pray to the gods that GD has a world tour before enlisting and comes to New York haha! :nervousk:

jbeanbean and chekas1292 like this.
  13. TOPANDCHANYEOL

SAY IT OUT LOUD FOR THE PEOPLE AT THE BACK WOHOO

jbeanbean and _CLeO like this.
  14. _CLeO

_CLeO Artist

LEE JI EUN IS A MUSICAL GENIUS