Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Is Rap Monster from BTS racist?????

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Jin_is_mine00, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Jin_is_mine00

Jin_is_mine00 Trainee

There are these videos now surfacing on the internet of Rap Monster making a racist black “joke” and of him saying that n word. I really don’t know how to feel and I need the army’s help. Watch the videos!!!! (Watch the links)

ReadMyFanfic2 likes this.
  2. Lovely_Cornchips

Being left alone
    What is the point of bringing this back up?

Not trying to argue but I doubt ARMY's want this circulating again.

Mkriah, BaoziLea, Zaera and 14 others like this.
  3. Baltax

Baltax Artist

GD said the N word once and people still love him and he's not racist, so NO.

BaoziLea, Zaera, rjkoya3579 and 11 others like this.
  4. kKaliko

kKaliko Star

crow destroyer
    can you dont.

rjkoya3579, mirella and Blabluegree like this.
  5. KariSi

KariSi Artist

Dowoons Wife and Lover
    EVERY idol makes mistakes and im pretty sure hes already released a statement on this shit. RM has changed a lot over the years, anyone can see that. Hes very humble and you can tell hes a good person.
    Racist? No.
    Poor choice? Yes

Zaera, rjkoya3579, Icy68446 and 7 others like this.
  6. Fluffyish

Fluffyish Artist

Jin's Wife
    The N word is in the lyrics tho. He didn't composed that song anyways.

persona1418 and rjkoya3579 like this.
  7. Jin_is_mine00

Jin_is_mine00 Trainee

Another question: Do you guys think that Asians should be allowed to say the n-word?

Baltax likes this.
  8. fiia

fiia Super Rookie

No

Mkriah, Zaera, Iglowa and 4 others like this.
  9. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Artist

Mochi Bot
    Nope.

In South Korea (and other Asian countries too) that kind of joke is unfortunately really common and a lot of idols have gotten in trouble for saying similar things, since international fans have gotten interested in kpop. However it doesn't originate from racism but from their ancient beauty standards of fair skin = wealthy, and tanned skin = poor and working manual labor outdoors. Dumb Korean jokes like that aren't about other races. But it's about time Korea gets rid of these jokes nonetheless, especially if they want to appeal to the global population.

RM got backlash from fans who taught him how the international audience interpret a comment like that. He has already apologized and reflected on this issue a long time ago. He has realized he needs to be careful of his words, since it's easy for people who don't know him to make wrong assumptions about his intentions and personal beliefs based on a few words.

"I’ve never thought that my behaviors or music or words could hurt others, or cause inconvenience to others. I’ve never thought that way. As I went through the year 2016 I came to think about that. My words or behaviors, regardless of my intentions, could cause troubles or hurt others feelings. In the process, I thought I need to hold responsibility for that and I need to think about such things. What I said or did would not be undone.I thought so. Then I learned how to admit myself. It was hard to admit that I could hurt others’ feelings. It took a long time. I didn’t like to admit that I was wrong. Rather than I was wrong, it was hard to admit that I could hurt others’ feelings. It was hard to admit because I’ve never felt that way before.

In the beginning, when I was faced with such criticism, I thought like, ‘Why? I did it for a reason’. Now, as I said, I feel much better about my feelings and emotions. Now, when I hear something about me, even if its a criticism or condemnation, I am able to think about what made them say so. ‘What did I do wrong? What I did caused others to feel uncomfortable? What made them criticize me?’ I am now able to think like that. For now, I can’t talk about what was changed in detail. Still, I may have another chance to talk about later. Anyways, to become a better person, I need to hold responsibility for what I do. I need to change my mindset. I need to change my way of thinking if its wrong. I learned I need to hear from many people. I mean, I came to think like that. Now when I do something, I think, ‘how would people feel about my act?’ and then I take action." - RM

So this is very much an old and buried issue. You have to know very little about RM to ever think that about him. His favorite artists are all African-American, he publicly supports all types of equally, he has shown genuine interest and understanding about the black hip hop culture etc. etc.

#9 GoldenIdun, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Zaera and rjkoya3579 like this.
  10. SinBuddy116

Buddy Gang
    i honestly dont know.....what i want to say (and believe) is that he was referring to them dressing in all black clothes...or that he just doesnt understand that what he is saying sounds bad. Second one he was singing lyrics to a song....koreans frequently play or dance to songs with curse words in them that they dont understand.
    as the english speaker in the group he REALLY needs to educate himself so that he doesnt say offensive things.

Mkriah likes this.
  11. IgotExosBangtan

“There are these videos now surfacing” nah fam you went looking for those.

We been knew about these, dragged his ass for it and still to this day I know black Army’s who still clown him for this. We know, we said what we had to say on the matter, dealt with it, he reflected, gave a very clear, in-depth explanation of his thoughts and what he learned from this situation and we’ve moved on from it.

You know, just like we deal with every other idol who’s ever said the N-word, culturally appropriated etc.

Nice try though!

9F469473-71B7-46D7-9A68-3C6B5C8423C8.gif

Zaera, LadyS, rjkoya3579 and 11 others like this.
  12. ArieIIe

ArieIIe Star

what type of question is this

Mkriah, Zaera, LadyS and 7 others like this.
  13. Kokopuffs

Kokopuffs Star

Simple answer....

No

You don't know what someone thinks

14. SinBuddy116

Buddy Gang
    well seeing as they joined today i doubt they know that this circulated before

Mkriah, Zaera and Jack_Pink like this.
  15. KariSi

KariSi Artist

Dowoons Wife and Lover
    ...what? No one should say it

Zaera and Eithra like this.
  16. Jack_Pink

Jack_Pink Artist

as far as i know, these videos are old (not sure tho) and he kinda apologized for it, he grew some conscious or something

mirella likes this.
  17. fiia

fiia Super Rookie

I bet a lot of idols are racist but choose not to voice it. I don’t really care if they are or aren’t as long as they don’t do anything racist.
    If he apologized and learned something from it then we should just move on.

18. mirella

mirella Artist

rapline enthusiast
    Considering you said that RM was overrated in the other thread and said that Jungkook was a better rapper, I think I can conclude that you're anti-RM and went looking for those videos to discredit him. Nice try.

Zaera, rjkoya3579, Icy68446 and 5 others like this.
  19. SinBuddy116

Buddy Gang
    what kind of question is that? no one should be saying it.

20. KariSi

KariSi Artist

Dowoons Wife and Lover
    And you keep saying rap monster but he changed it to RM months ago #doyouevenbtsbro