NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

Is Mamamoo & GFriend in danger of losing their Top 5 GG status?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by gugudadadan, Jan 4, 2021.

?

Is Mamamoo & GFriend in danger of losing their Top 5 GG status?

1. No, they're both still firmly Top 5

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. Yes, they're both at risk of falling out of Top 5

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Only Mamamoo is in danger of falling out of Top 5

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Only GFriend is in danger of falling out of Top 5

82 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Both of them and heck, even Red Velvet is in danger of falling off

23 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. gobSIDES

gobSIDES Public Figure

Currency:
    Well it varies doesn't it. Like if a group has certifications in certain countries and can chart for weeks to months in those countries it's going to be relevant.
    Like there's no way to ignore something like Dynamite still staying in the top 10 in the US or Feel Special being the most streamed Kpop song in Japan this year/charting for 60 weeks or say The Album having 3m downloads in China.

This is all relevant too. It's just much harder to track this metric for most groups since they might chart or get streams in foreign countries but they aren't really getting cert's or breaking records so it's tough to keep track.

But yeah a top group should be making at least some noise in big markets like USA, Japan, etc by modern standards of what it means to be a 'top group'.

2. Wat8

Wat8 Rookie

Currency:
    I'm a Taeyeon fan lol I see it all the time - it's one of the reasons I would never call myself a Sone. That fandom is filled with delusional ot9ers who'd perpetuate bullshit about Taeyeon one day "as a joke" and then the next day if they see someone call SNSD irrelevant today they use her stats or when they attack other girl groups for their vocals they use her vocal clips

3. salem9

salem9 Trendsetter

Currency:
    You can take a look at any top5 GG related thread from 2018-2019 and Jennie’s success gets pointed out. As for EXO members, the group is pretty much done from regular activities, same as SNSD was when Taeyeon went solo. Vips on the other hand did the same thing MMM fans do with their solo releases.

A solid solo career will always benefit the former group and the hype for Hwasa is still there. She’s clearly the top soloist from 3rd gen rn and Wheein is also doing great with the littlest effort possible. Their brand is still fresh and I don’t see anyone coming for their gig as long as they stay together.

Anyways, it didn’t even took me 5 minutes to look older threads and read you discrediting Mamamoo for their “low” digitals and being taken out by Gfriend lol. That’s a good one. Karma truly is a bitch as they say.

taigoesrawr likes this.
  4. gobSIDES

gobSIDES Public Figure

Currency:
    Those groups don't stack their sales or streams, the may collect them and tweet about them or w/e but count them separate it's literally only Moomoo's who en masse tack solo's, OST's, features, etc hard on the end of group achievements lol.

Out here making excuses for other like Sones, Exo-l's, etc not doing cos they're done...like what? Mamamoo had 1 promoted comeback in the last 12 months and barely got any promotion as a group in 2020 so yeah maybe something to think about.

5. itiswhatitisss

itiswhatitisss ♥EXIDitiswhatitisss♥

Currency:
    #2 HardcoreBLINK anti
    As You Wish exists:siptear:

Wench likes this.
  6. gobSIDES

gobSIDES Public Figure

Currency:
    So this is why you decided to bring Twice into it a drag them? For something I didn't actually say...what I said was...

"If we look at Aya, it also didn't do that well and same for Dinga"

An objective and undeniable fact...does that offend you? Neither of those songs did well, I don't know maybe you're happy enough to call below average charting 'doing well' but I have said the same in other places about Twice songs too that have performed similarly.

But I suppose something 'not doing that well' is now the equivalent of saying 'haha, it's a flop come drag my bias':rolleyes:
    The only time your faves got shady comment in this thread is after you started coming for a group not related to the discussion.

7. Zenning

Zenning Trendsetter

Currency:
    Nothing wrong with being a solo member stan. The things you mention, I haven't seen at all though - minus the times SNSD or Sone get shaded and baited after which all bets are off, of course, but that's the same for all fandoms.

8. rosapastel

rosapastel Trendsetter

Currency:
    Mamamoo is safe, for now..
    Sadly GFriend left the top gg list a while ago it seems. It’s sad since I found them fusing Fever and I liked them, so I was kinda bummed do see they weren’t doing that well anymore.
    I like both groups though, so I hope they both stuck around for as long as they can!

9. nazks

nazks Trainee

Currency:
    The answer for Mamamoo is no simply because no other girl groups are surpassing them. Their digitals are still better, Mamamoo has never been a massive album seller only in past year or so have that changed and is still rising album by album. Hell WJSN used sell more albums then Mamamoo but they didn't used to be in the top 5.

This past year with the reform has been hell on idol groups but yet they are apart of one of the very few groups to chart in the top ten. Both in 2019 and 2020.

MassiveKpopFan and taigoesrawr like this.
  10. MassiveKpopFan

MassiveKpopFan Married to @njsjyghsjmthjk

Currency:
    Student
    Not a hit

itiswhatitisss likes this.
  11. nugubaldies

nugubaldies Super Rookie

Currency:
    Yoohyeon slave
    Also OMG is they keep producing hits. Can't wait for bunch of new songs this year.

12. MassiveKpopFan

MassiveKpopFan Married to @njsjyghsjmthjk

Currency:
    Student
    That’s true, their comeback is actually going to be a true comeback

nugubaldies likes this.
  13. salem9

salem9 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Yet that was enough for them to outperform groups who were extremely active this year digitally, from seniors to rookies, from Twice to Itzy lol.

Anyways, no idea where you came with your arguments but I follow MMM stats accounts and they always specify if they include solo releases and physicals. I never saw anyone claim Wheein’s OST as a group achievement but Reveluvs did it for Joy. I guess everyone’s entitled to their own understanding of those achievements.

14. Zenning

Zenning Trendsetter

Currency:
    ? Please stop rewriting history when it comes to groups and fandoms that aren't your own, it's getting annoying at this point. It almost feels like you're constantly trying to bait other fandoms into fanwars and flamewars, out of boredom or such?

IIRC MMM stans like you weren't claiming digitals of individual members at that time since they were bombing, hard and majorly, and barely ranking.
    However, they were and apparently still are claiming physicals of the individual members, to celebrate about it, just like RV fans did about Joy's OST, and fandoms will do about the achievements of their bias groups and its members.

Nothing wrong with that.

If you start adding it all up together as if it's all the same - like some seem to do with the album sales of groups + solo acts - without noting that all those are added, or completely ignoring the failures of your own biases yet constantly shading those of other groups, then it becomes another story.

In any case, stop constantly trying to drag other groups and fandoms simply to muddy the discussion by flamewar and fanwar baiting.

gobSIDES likes this.
  15. motorp77

motorp77 Trainee

Currency:
    Gfriend was never top 5, also Mamamoo's top 5 spot is very arguable, they only have an argument since Hip and Red Velvet is till higher and in not too long ago Itzy will surely pass them.
    Why are people thinking Gfriend was ever that big ?

16. atropos

atropos Super Rookie

Currency:
    They had huge hits like me gustas tu and rough. They were bigger than most new ggs during 2015-2016. Gfriend was literally competing with twice for nations girl group title. Back then they had good sales too but they never grew.

sheryllee3 likes this.
  17. motorp77

motorp77 Trainee

Currency:
    Yea definetly bigger than most new groups but 2015/2016 was SNSD passing the torch to Twice, f(x) passing the torch to Red Velvet, and Apink was as big as Gfriend during that time. Gfriend would eventually grow bigger but then Blackpink would arrive too. Gfriend was almost always around the 5/6 places but might lose it right now with so many groups having historic years.

TastyButtercream likes this.
  18. salem9

salem9 Trendsetter

Currency:
    I’m not baiting fandoms here you’re the only one upset about something that clearly happened and you know it lol

Also, no idea how claiming Joy’s solos could affect positively the group could be a bad thing either.

19. salem9

salem9 Trendsetter

Currency:
    I’ve been hearing that since their debut and they’re still struggling digitally in Korea

G-idle is doing waaaay better than them if you want someone to take Mamamoo’s spot fairly

20. gobSIDES

gobSIDES Public Figure

Currency:
    Where did they out perform Twice? More & More has more digital points on anything Mamamoo released in 2020 as a group...? And before you talk 'longevity' bullshit in it's 10th week was pulling around 3m more on Gaon than Dinga(MMM's best performing son in 2020) and I know you aren't going to compare Aya since that's already out of Gaon top 100 in like what...? 5-ish weeks?

Kinda of a high horse your on right...I mean saying 'from Twice' when indeed no Mamamoo song released in 2020 peformed better than More & More which everyone love to call a flop...interesting..

So what area's are we talking about that Mamamoo was able to "was enough for them to outperform groups who were extremely active this year digitally, from seniors to rookies, from Twice" ?

Was it Youtube views? Nope, the gulf is enormous since Twice pull about 6.5m daily views and Mamamoo just 2m(yes this number actually includes solo's too)
    Was it Spotify streams? Nope, again another big gulf. Twice currently around 7.5m monthly listeners and Mamamoo just 3.6
    Was it album sales? Again nope, this ones almost funny...Mamamoo sold around 200k albums as a group in 2020...while Twice sold close to 1.8m...

So remember you wanted this comparison and for what? My crime of saying Dinga didn't do that well? I Can't Stop Me and More & More didn't do that well...it's not a drag, my goodness.

vzal and pull-up like this.