NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

Is Mamamoo & GFriend in danger of losing their Top 5 GG status?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by gugudadadan, Jan 4, 2021.

?

Is Mamamoo & GFriend in danger of losing their Top 5 GG status?

1. No, they're both still firmly Top 5

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. Yes, they're both at risk of falling out of Top 5

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Only Mamamoo is in danger of falling out of Top 5

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Only GFriend is in danger of falling out of Top 5

82 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Both of them and heck, even Red Velvet is in danger of falling off

23 vote(s)
    18.7%
  1. Zenning

Zenning Trendsetter

Currency:
    I don't think that GFriend are in the Top 5 anymore. In fact, hasn't been for a while now.

Insecurities with the contract extensions of the 2014 groups aside, RV and Mamamoo so far seem ok.

IZ*One will very likely disband this year, so that's that.
    Itzy - not sure, but they weren't doing that well the past year, compared with their debut?
    Aespa it's too soon to tell, so that leaves (G)I-dle.

Their successes this year have put them on the radar, but they need continuing successes to make it stick long enough for people to acknowledge them. I mean, there have been more groups with one major hit after which it sort of fell down, like Crayon Pop, Momoland etc.

But I think that even OMG (and even APink?) are doing better than GFriend right now.

2. kiwijoon

kiwijoon Celebrity

Currency:
    Watering namjoon's bonsai
    Itzy is higher then idle, itzy sold 219k with not shy and their digital lows (icy/not shy) are the numbers idle's digital highs (latata/dumdi) are at, not to mention they lead by quite a bit on youtube and spotify - if any group is taking izone's spot its easily itzy at the moment tho idle is the clear 2nd with ohmygirl's korean success also being noteworthy tho they lag in all international aspects + physicals

MassiveKpopFan and Zenning like this.
  3. rosseannepark

rosseannepark Celebrity

Currency:
    Hoe for Rosé
    Gfriend isn't a top 5 group anymore

4. Zenning

Zenning Trendsetter

Currency:
    Ah, I didn't know that.

Ok, thx for the update info, that's clear :)

5. shyshyshyuwu

shyshyshyuwu Super Rookie

Currency:
    I don’t think GFriend has been in the top 5 for a while already :(

Mamamoo is still hanging up there though. They are an abnormality of a sort. So numbers being in the low side do not really translate to them losing their spot. Yet..

6. gerrard174

gerrard174 Trainee

Currency:
    OMG have to prove more than the two hits they have in 2020. Moreover, physical sales, they are still behind groups like ITZY and (G)I-DLE

xeesay likes this.
  7. sheryllee3

sheryllee3 Public Figure

Currency:
    They are probably being excluded since they ‘only’ had 2 top hits in 1 year while the other groups consistently charted/sells well for a couple years or more

8. crystal105

crystal105 Public Figure

Currency:
    Mamamoo's doing fine. Their strength is really more on digitals and gp support. Aya might have underperformed but Dingga charted like a title track even with minimal promos. Their sales are steadily growing too.

Gfriend hasn't been top 5 for some time now but I think their fandom is quite stable though. With their sound change, they're reeling in more ifans too.

9. Closer

Closer 24K

Currency:
    Who’s the Top 5? I know Gfriend fell off but isn’t IZONE 4th gen? Yeah right, a 4th gen group already disbanding. Meh. dont think izone’s 4th gen so they’re in the top 5.

10. acadz

acadz Super Rookie

Currency:

How is Mamamoo selling below than these newer groups except IZ*ONE in physical? They're already a six-year old group so expect that they will not promote multiple times a year and instead will focus on their solo members promotions.

This year they had 250k album copies sold for a single group comeback + old albums while another 270k for Byul/Solar/Hwasa solos.

They had 1.6B digital points overall including solo songs (collaborations and featurings are not included) which is I think is even higher than BP overall (I might be wrong).

They're in the top 5 in Youtube for girl group this year.

Mamamoo and Hwasa won multiple year-end awards including a Bonsang in MAMA and will probably get another one for the group and Hwasa in the Golden Disc Awards.

Tbh Mamamoo is a clear Top 3 right now.

YamaChwan, Vocea, Solarsido and 9 others like this.
  11. okeechobee

okeechobee Trainee

Currency:
    Mamamoo is definitely safe for quite a while to come.

As for Gfriend, they’re in danger of even being considered in the top ten tbh, let alone top five.

xeesay and Vocea like this.
  12. miagoreng

miagoreng Newbie

Currency:
    Have they even truly been top 5 in the last year or two? with Twice, BP, Gidle, Izone, Itzy and Red Velvet around i dont think so. All great GG's but they all rise and fall at some point. I use to consider EXID as one of the best and most wouldn't put them in their top 10 never mind 5. :D:D

TastyButtercream likes this.
  13. Eye_Dull

Eye_Dull Celebrity

Currency:
    nothing to add that hasn't already been said...

MMM in no danger, GFriend long gone from top 5.

when izone disbands idle or itzy takes the 5 spot. Gonna be interesting with idle coming back next week and itzy likely within a month

14. nugubaldies

nugubaldies Super Rookie

Currency:
    Yoohyeon slave
    Itzy has been lurking around top 5 for some time now, they have consistency that can cemented that. Without iz*one, they surely will enter top 5 easily. Idle is close behind tho. I hope Dreamcatcher continue growing like they did. Someday maybe they will be in top 5. Someday..

15. Soulless_Senpai

Soulless_Senpai ~♡ PENGPai Loyalist ♡~

Currency:
    Sana eobsin, Sana mana
    OMG is above ITZY and IDLE, but only in Korea. They have more digital points, more Youtube views from South Korea, more recognition for their members and individual activities, higher brand rankings etc.
    BUT Itzy and IDLE's much much bigger international popularity puts them ahead in overall rankings.

However if we only look domestically, OMG is easily top 5 currently.

16. gugudadadan

gugudadadan Trainee

Currency:
    I think Itzy is doing well, but Gidle is definitely putting up a good fight. There's no clear winner between the two.

I'm not sure where you got the data from but it seems somewhat...inaccurate?

Physical
    IDLE: I Am (46,719) > I Made (47,424) > I Trust (152,339) - That's a 221% jump from I Made to I Trust
    ITZY: It'z Icy (149,349) > It'z Me (150,851) > Not Shy (219,048) - That's 45% increase from It'z Me to Not Shy
    ITZY came into the game with a highly anticipated debut as JYP's NGG & Twice's little sister. They were already selling more than most established GG from debut. On the other hand, nobody was anticipating Idle (they were announced a week before debut). I think they definitely showed more exponential growth trajectory.

Digital
    Based on the latest release:
    Dumdi Dumdi - Peak 8th on Melon, stayed for 20 weeks on Melon (still charting)
    Not Shy - Peaked 9th on Melon, stayed for 15 weeks on Melon (still charting)
    So IDLE's latest comeback both peaked higher and stayed longer

Spotify
    https://www.bandwagon.asia/articles...-singapore-taiwan-indonesia-malaysia-thailand
    Idle is the 4th most streamed girl group globally on Spotify after Blackpink, Twice & Red Velvet
    They're also the 3rd most followed GG on Spotify after BP & Twice

Not to mention they've also consistently ranked higher on Brand Reputation for the past 2 years, topping the list multiple times and actually staying in the top position for extended periods of time. ITZY has never topped the brand reputation rankings.

So yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you that ITZY is doing extremely well (and most likely with Big 3 privilege, will probably do better than Idle in the long run), but they're definitely clearly ahead of Idle like you mentioned at least at this point in time. It's still very neck & neck between the 2 group and it's great to see the friendly competition between them especially since they're such close friends with each other.

#36 gugudadadan, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  17. atropos

atropos Super Rookie

Currency:
    Mamamoo is doing fine. Their sales have increased. One of the 3 idol groups to reach top10 after melon change. They'll hold on to their spot. Is gfriend even top10 atm?
    Also itzy>>izone. What does izone have other than album sales? Digitals, streams all r lower than itzy.

18. kaisica

kaisica Super Rookie

Currency:
    Gfriend hasn’t been a top 5 group for some time now sadly. IZ*ONE will be disbanding in a few months which leaves a spot open to either ITZY or Gidle.

Though neither group has had a major hit as big as Hip, Psycho or HYLT in the last calendar year or sell as many albums as IZ*ONE & Twice. It’s hard to say who between Itzy or Gidle will take that open spot tbh because they’re so neck and neck with their metrics. Will be interesting to see how their next comebacks do. Also if we’re talking strictly Korea, then OMG 100% takes that spot.

19. atropos

atropos Super Rookie

Currency:
    Itzy had dallax2 in 2019 just like mmm and rv had hip and psycho. All of them r similar level 2019 hits.

20. hokiedood

hokiedood Rookie

Currency:
    This isn't really an Itzy vs. GIdle thread.