Is Kpop more shallow than Apop?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ipokenano, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ipokenano

ipokenano Newbie

Currency:
    Kpop is definitely more manufactured since they go through a selection process that filters trainees for their good looks. Artists under companys have little creative freedom and input into their concepts and music.
    But a lot of mainsteam Apop is purely popularly based on the fact that sex sells and has very little to do with the quality of the music. However it could be argued that its a form of self expression/freedom of sexuality. (Although tbh in many cases we know this is pure bullshit)

krell likes this.
  2. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    In terms of lyrics and concepts I do believe Kpop tends to be more shallow. There is groups that do make music with deeper meanings, but I don't think they are in majority. Apop can have bit more freedom and artistry which can be seen in lyrics and songs having more meaning- but it's still pop and often just as shallow.

3. krell

krell Rookie

Currency:
    K-pop is aimed more *now* at an ASIAN market (so JAPAN and PRChina). And so, the SONGS use lyrics (words) that are often VERY simple, so as to NOT CONFUSE the audience. And since that 'invention' of MTV and VIDEO (visual) aspects being VERY important, the music has been LESS important in some ways. That the PERFORMERS do LOOK GOOD while performing, has become WAY MORE IMPORTANT than IF they are even musicians who could write a song or play an instrument. There are some exceptions to this. IU writes songs; G-Dragon too. But really, the HYUNA (4minute) type K-pop performer, with VISUAL being the main selling point, is the most common. The Agency viewpoint is that they want the K-pop performers to LOOK GOOD on stage. They can HIRE the 'back up musicians' as needed. And that is often true in the USA too. Although, TAYLOR SWIFT would be an exception.

On a global basis, where you see more emphasis on MUSICAL composing and INSTRUMENT playing skills, I would say is in the JAZZ MUSIC areas. But also, the music is more complex, and LESS POPULAR too. There is MORE MONEY to be made with *simplistic* mainstream POP music. People *LIKE* songs with the 'complexity' of "Happy Birthday To You" ... Confuse them, and they move elsewhere.

How 'complex' is PSY and the 'Gangnam Style' (Horse Dance) song? Was it popular; beyond belief ... Do they want to DUPLICATE it some more; yes A LOT ... Do I expect K-pop Music to get more 'cerebral' in the future; NO not remotely ... :cool:

#3 krell, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  4. krell

krell Rookie

Currency:
    (Joking) The future of K-pop Music is actually ... MILLI VANILLI (1990) ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milli_Vanilli
    As in "Will the REAL MILLI VANILLI please STAND UP!"
    ... ;)

Gee, those people LOOK like their photos.
    But they do NOT SOUND like their music on the Radio? ... :D

#4 krell, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    ilovekpop909 likes this.
  5. rosslyn

rosslyn Public Figure

Currency:
    Newly wed
    Apop have more freedom, they are allowed to write and compose songs, producing their albums, do their coreographies and even picking up the clothes for their music video, although there are some of these so called "artists" that are manufactured but are still free to choose their own concept

6. vaalentinne

vaalentinne Public Figure

Currency:
    i agree that sex sells but sex doesn't always mean stupid songs with overly sex content
    Beyoncé has GREAT lyrics and she is overly sexy without falling into the cheap concept..

At the end, music is suppose to be a way to "express" something. That "something" doesn't really have to be about really "deep" things to be meanfull. Okay i am not explaining myself.
    A song with a deeper meaning doesn't really need to be a sad or a love song. A song talking about sex can be something "deep" if it's well done, talking about i don't know, looking at the window when you wake up can be something deep as well if it's well done

Kookie_Cat, yupitsme and sicaranghae like this.
  7. aquamaraqua

aquamaraqua Public Figure

Currency:
    Full Time CandY
    Comparing lyrical content of western groups like Fifth Harmony and One Direction to those of K-Pop, I don't see much of a difference. Soloists and rock bands tend to always have more control in what they do, hence usually better lyrical content.

#7 aquamaraqua, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    yupitsme and sicaranghae like this.
  8. silveroaksm

silveroaksm Super Rookie

Currency:
    Honestly, I find apop and kpop very similar at least where the music is concerned.

Now as far as being involved in one's own album goes; even in kpop there are idols who have full creative freedom and release their own songs...inspired by their life and have great lyrical content. But majorly, the industry is filled with manufactured idols. At least in apop, we see artist who have a passion for music...practice with their band in their mom's garage and then debut together because they finally found a company. While in kpop, idols have no choice in who they debut with and how...some idols have even admitted to hating their own music. This isn't how singers should lead their career. They should at least love what they sing. Hence while the songs in both apop and kpop are similar, the behind-the-scenes of apop make it a little more substantial for me than kpop. Though exceptions in both genres exist. I am just talking about majority.

krell and yupitsme like this.
  9. Isoya_Asuka

Isoya_Asuka Trainee

Currency:
    Apop: More Freedom in making music
    Kpop: Less freedom in making music

10. JaeKhayeCee

JaeKhayeCee Public Figure

Currency:
    Pop music in general tends to be "shallow" and simplistic in terms of lyrical content, I think? Because their first aim is the catchiness and being able to relate to the mainstream audience. If you want songs with deeper meaning, indie and even rock music can provide you that :) But that's only what I've noticed~

For sure, Kpop is more manufactured than American pop but it works for them :)

#10 JaeKhayeCee, Apr 4, 2016
    krell and Kaebsong like this.
  11. sicaranghae

sicaranghae Rookie

Currency:
    jessica jung trash
    FINALLY SOMEONE SAID THAT. I just hate it so much that people try to pretend that songs about partying and sex are so vain and hollow. Like, music is about feelings, and that is very much still a feeling, a moment in a person's life. Just because people act all holier-than-thou like sex and parties are so shallow it doesn't mean it's not a valid feeling to talk about in a song because you don't get to decide that. There's a difference between bad music and simple music. You don't have to write a song about quantum physics to be deep and worthy of being called a "true artist". Goddamn, thank you SO MUCH

vaalentinne likes this.
  12. aquamaraqua

aquamaraqua Public Figure

Currency:
    Full Time CandY
    I'd like to point out groups like One Direction were made by companies, and actually a lot of American and western music is pressured to be released by what sells, and not just the artist.

13. sicaranghae

sicaranghae Rookie

Currency:
    jessica jung trash
    aquamaraqua likes this.
  14. vaalentinne

vaalentinne Public Figure

Currency:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GETTING WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY!! TT
    Probably most of the people that think like that are still virgins so..

sicaranghae likes this.
  15. sicaranghae

sicaranghae Rookie

Currency:
    jessica jung trash
    tell me about it. i hate it that people act like sex is inherently evil and should never even be talked about, like you just say "hey sex is great" and suddenly the sexually transmitted disease voldermort gives you yeast infection or makes you pregnant or something

Presh likes this.
  16. silveroaksm

silveroaksm Super Rookie

Currency:
    I am just comparing the general trends. I did mention that there are exceptions to both. And yes there may be some constraints as to what american artists can release but they do have much more creative freedom as compared to kpop. In addition, they aren't trained like some robots who will one day be part of a pre-planned group.

Also technically, One Direction is British...lol I am just teasing.

17. findtheakarun

findtheakarun Super Rookie

Currency:
    Professional Sassybish
    No, it's just more openly shallow. America likes to hide it.

krell likes this.
  18. Presh

Presh Newbie

Currency:
    In terms of overall percentage - yeah..
    In western music you can get many gems of great meaning from many artists whereas the overwhelming majority of kpop is highly manufactured for sales alone.

But pop is a shallow form of art and the Kpop industry is far far younger than the western pop industry so its always a bit behind.

Just to back this up.. bring me some kpop songs on par with these and you may have an argument

Even something like this..

#18 Presh, Apr 5, 2016
  19. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    @Presh Kpop songs that have meaning? Well it's not like there isn't songs like that around:

1. G-Dragon- She's Gone:

2. GLAM- I like that

3. Sunny Hill- The Grasshopper Song

Other songs: Big Bang- Still Alive, GLAM- Party XXO & In Front of the Mirror, Sunny Hill- Is the white horse coming & Midnight Circus & Darling of all Hearts (GLAM and Sunny Hill in general have great lyrics), IU- Twenty-three..

20. Presh

Presh Newbie

Currency:
    @propanda Its interesting that you replied because we have pretty much the same opinion here. This kind of thing is infinitely more prevalent in Western Pop than Kpop.

However I will say that every song has meaning. They're not a bunch of random words stuck together like someone was just tapping the next suggested word on their phone. I actually think love songs get a bad wrap tbh. But that is a symptom of the problem. Many are just produced for quick dollars without consideration to the content. However love and relationships are a very relatable topic and something that people deal with daily. There is many facets to love and some songs explore them very well. Like Dami's Sound of Silence and Pixie's Dancing On My Own address relationships conducted through jobs and situations that keep lovers apart during their relationships. This is also in Kpop yes, Cross Gene's Mr Secret is about celebrity relationships and his desire to protect her from the fallout if their relationship was discovered.

Love Songs can also have a positive effect. Again with Cross Gene, they choose to go primarily on this route because they want to help foster better relationships between Korean, Japan and China through music. You are less likely to be able to do this by singing about the things people don't like about their lives or life in general.

Music is a beautifully expressive medium that doesn't always need to be an excessively complex composition matched with a lyrical riddle to be a good contribution to a persons life. Even some of the most god awful stuff can bring someone joy or an understanding of themselves.

I have given three songs that are all from some of the biggest names in the industry, that have brought a deeper level of reliability and personal growth to the listener. These are also not the only songs from these artists that are lyrically more than the basic function of their genre. Sia's and Katy's are both empowerment anthems. Glams is the closest to that and actually I really like most of the lyrics there. It deals with it in a much different way and I love the idea of someone debunking all that crap coz thats literally me. Yes I have to kill my own cockroaches but I'm perfectly happy with that rn. Unfortunately this song isn't popular.. "aigoo, oppa, am I cute?" is... so in so much as these songs get more of a chance in western countries (keeping in mind Sia at least became popular on the back of Titanium which is another empowerment anthem she penned) than in Kpop so Kpop takes a strike there. Also when it comes to empowerment anthems and omg womens empowerment, take out 2ne1 and Kpop looks like a misogynistic wasteland, lbr here. Even so called empowerment anthems like Ailees "I'll Show You" aren't anything like it. Once again this is dealing with songs that are well known throughout kpop and the fandom.

GDs is interesting because it is a outsiders view of the mind of a bad guy. Interestingly this from someone who also wrote Only Look At Me (I'm worried about you GD... lol). It is indeed very clever. He followed that up with Window which is a song I love, so he is good with this kind of thing. But generally he is just popping out what YG needs him to for the money. (as revealed by Taeyang in his GQ interview post Rise release. Its not about the art but the dollars from mainstream appeal.)

Honestly I could keep listing for days, songs that can meet a deeper criteria of art for arts sake where as kpop we know is mostly for the idea of making money. There is precious few pioneer artists in Kpop like Big Bang, 2NE1, Cross Gene, and wait I am having trouble thinking of more.. While it remains a case of only about 1% of kpop is about advancing as people through music and 99% is about advancing their bank account through music, kpop will definitely remain more shallow as a genre than western pop.

#20 Presh, Apr 5, 2016
    propanda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted