Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Is kpop community (fans) a healthy and friendly place?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by KangWoojin144, Jun 13, 2018.

1. KangWoojin144

KangWoojin144 Artist

Do you guys think that kpop community in general is a good place to be? Like, we all know that there are good and bad people, but in an overall, do you guys think it has a nice environment?
    I personally don't think so. Tho there are good and nice people, I think kpop fans in general are just teenagers/young adults that often like to be mean and rude to others/other people tastes. Lately it's been really difficult to communicate inside kpop community without starting a war or something like that. What do u think?

2. Vikki

Vikki Married to @Girl_Crush

Time waster
    Depends where, on here I would say (for the most part) yes, Twitter or some other form of social media, hell no.

chickseli and MonbebeX like this.
  3. Rolex

Rolex Married to @Essencellie

AKP'S #1 BLINK
    I think it's a toxic place to be.

4. Haeryn

Haeryn Star

I think it depends a lot on which platform you use and which accounts/people you chose to exchange with. It can be extremely toxic as well as extremely friendly but I don't think it can be said that the entire community is either toxic or a good place. I think it can change a lot depending on how you choose to enjoy kpop. But it can definitely be toxic if you begin to get too involved in every single mess that can arise in the community.

MonbebeX likes this.
  5. zedi

zedi Artist

sure if you don't go to communities
    who fake Videos on other idols

6. BarackOkarma

Satan's pet iguana
    It really depends where and who you talk/communicate with. I feel like in general Stan twitter and Tumblr are hella toxic. But there are toxic kpop fans everywhere. It's becoming a norm to think that just because you don't like someone's favorite group, it means that you are an anti. I've had some not pleasant run ins with fans in here that wouldn't be concidered sane and I was attacked for not having the same opinion and for not praising their favorites.

But AKP in general isn't that toxic, depends who you talk to really.

7. RoAnon9935

RoAnon9935 Star

I don't think so.

I have a headache and cranky so I'm going to rant below:

I've been to anime conventions, gaming conventions, star trek conventions and so on. There is always a sense of community. People are interacting having fun even if they are strangers. I went to Kcon LA and I was fcking bored. Despite the people who I was shuttling I could not strike up a conversation with anyone. I've noticed that everyone seemed to be in their groups. Halls were not filled with laughter or antics. It was to say the least cold. When people where shoving forward to see VIXX I grabbed some extra short people and put them in front of me and held everyone back so they can see and they seemed surprised. This is supposed to be manners put the extra short people in front.

PS: People actually do knee jerk if you mention you can't tell them apart.

Going to the Kpop stores in ktown really can't strike up a conversation with anyone like anime shops or gaming stores. Ok I did once she was an employee a BIG fan of VIXX and Ft Island like me. Though she placed VIXX above Ft Island.

I've tried to make two friends in RL who were kpop and it ended badly for both. SO much so I vow to never try to make a RL kpop freind agian, and I do mean it. I'll stick to having no one to kpop over as friends. This forum, as weird as it sounds, has been the most friendly place to go for kpop. THIS site is the reason why I stayed in kpop. Considering all the trolls funny huh?

At the Big Bang concert I found people rude and INCONSIDERATE! There was constantly people standing in the handicap areas which blocked the view for people in the nose bleeds. When asked to move they got upset. I mean, at least fucking sit so those in their seats can see. At some time the venue usher had given up... SO many drunk people too. Though there was a sign of kindness by the guy who randomly sat next to me and kept tellin gme when Daesung would be on without being prompted.

suiram, AmmaAffa, yvesist and 4 others like this.
  8. RedueBelbet

RedueBelbet Artist

Apache helicopter
    To witness, it is toxic.

But i mean at least on forums like this one, you can have a chance to meet some of the nice people

As someone said above depends on where you stay.

RoAnon9935 likes this.
  9. GoldenIdun

GoldenIdun Artist

Mochi Bot
    Nope.

You might be lucky to find someone that you bond with or find a nice "safe" group of people, but the "community" as a whole is just toxic.
    For more than a decade, fandoms have been overly competitive and tearing each other apart, which leaves grudges and over-sensitive people who are prone to overreact and blindly assume the worst at the smallest of issues or provocations. It's almost impossible to keep your sanity in the kpop community, even if you started out open-minded, un-judgmental and peaceful. Because most people end up getting so fed up with the bullshit that happens to them and that they see (which is never the entire picture), that they end up hating on something or someone. It's thus a never-ending cycle. Everyone basically turns into a hypocrite bc of that. Because everyone wants it to stop, but everyone's also so upset that they can barely stop themselves from being petty/annoyed/mistrusting/discriminatory/judgmental etc.

10. mirella

mirella Artist

rapline enthusiast
    Stay away from Twitter & most of the toxicity you will never encounter.

I guess some extreme stan behavior is yikes. I mean:
    1) "my oppa is better than urs!!" — that is, posessing a superiority complex.
    2) comparing sales & belittling 'flops.'
    3) obsessive streaming & bulk-buying.
    4) focus on visuals & visual holes (lol).
    5) unhealthy possessiveness of idols.
    6) attacking people who say one negative thing about your faves.

SaviorTwice likes this.
  11. panachoc

panachoc Rookie

Definitely not on AKP that's for sure, but definitely the discords I'm on :)

12. Angelyna_Frost

VIP Enforcer
    MARRIED TO HERAA AND KWON JIYONG 11/8/18.
    Online I think it's hit or miss depending on where you are. In person, like going to live shows and events is totally great. I've seen pretty much every act there is and it's always been really amazing and fun. On the net empty cans tend to rattle the loudest.

13. LadyS

LadyS Star

Botmy
    HAHAHHAHA NO WAY

The Kpop community is a bunch of insensible pricks mixed with SJWs twats, bitter antis and the mere 3-5% of it being normal humans with empathic and logical capabilities

14. RamenRamen

RamenRamen Entertainer

trying to end fanwars
    depends on:
    - what website (twitter and most social media is toxic)
    - who you're talking to (immature fans/delulu newer fans who don't know anything about kpop)

15. jasque

jasque Star

Kpop is competitive, so it is as toxic as you'd expect

AmmaAffa and spicyaghase like this.
  16. ListenToBadMusic

17. alicehalf

alicehalf Artist

The more a group is famous the more their fanbase are aggressive, arrogant, talkative and active on social media (they made their references on all videos on Youtube with their bia's name. You don't know what they are talking about because all is related to their favorite group/bias...)

Because of them, Kpop looks really invasive and unpleasant. Especially when they are kids, groupies and just do it to exist behind their idols than existing for themselves.

18. Yabie

Yabie Star

friendly ? sure it can be if you surround yourself with nice people

healthy?
    definitely not. kpop community is on pair with football players and online gamers
    all 3 share same competitiveness and obsession which leads to insane amount of toxicity

AmmaAffa, spicyaghase and Zehila like this.
  19. Zehila

Zehila Artist

Nope. Overall toxic, it’s definitely what ent companies are looking for since those rivalries bring money in but still.

Sometimes you’ll find people you can discuss with and debate on why you appreciate this over that. But generally people are too invested in this hobby, with it comes a weird need from them to protect/defend and take every word seriously. The word « flop » is the worst insult ever now, you only see that in here. I already had a bad image of kpop com before since some friends were involved and were mocking it on a daily basis, talking about what happened and I honestly didn’t believe them. Well I was wrong.

Rivalry and competition is generally cordial/friendly like everywhere in life. You won ? Celebrate. You lost ? Move on. That’s a logic person behavior, apparently kpop com doesn’t work that way. It’s a shame because competition is beneficial but it’s unhealthy here on so many levels.

I mean there is a bubble tea shop where I live, a friend of mine (ex kpop stan) wanted me to try it, so we went. These people were fighting over which song should be played because they can’t stand x,y,z or are parts of rival fandoms and who is the best and they didn’t even make any sense honestly. Like enjoy the music ? Who cares. Took my drink and got out as fast as possible.

20. BP_LiNK

BP_LiNK Artist

Watching Anime
    Some people like wars between fandoms.. They are hating on certain groups/artists just to get some attention. Those people are just pulling down their own fandoms with this kind of stuff. But there are many cool people out there who supports the "rival" groups/artists too.