NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

Is Koreans wanting fair skin really equivalent to white ppl wanting tans?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by blackjackdirecti, Dec 28, 2020.

1. blackjackdirecti

Currency:
    Someone said they were the same situations, except just opposite because "everyone wants what they don't have".

2. baerella

baerella Trendsetter

Currency:
    A broke ass
    I don’t think so

bcx12, msmissy and blackjackdirecti like this.
  3. Valenttinna

Valenttinna Married to @EclecticLady

Currency:
    i mean, the meaning behind each one is different but this days.. i don't see what's so different
    people judge you if you are too white in some western countries, they will even call you "sick looking" just because you are pale..

4. itiswhatitisss

itiswhatitisss ♥EXIDitiswhatitisss♥

Currency:
    #2 HardcoreBLINK anti
    Not really since these people are using dangerous methods to bleach their skin just to look white and for tanning, you can just go bathe out in the sun. Both have dangerous methods of achieving the desired look but tanning is much safer.

5. silver25

silver25 Hongjoong's wife

Currency:
    they're the same and people should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want with their skin. it's dangerous but so is alcohol and drugs but people still do them. everyone has a choice over their own body.

6. Blacknwhite

Currency:
    I don't get the stereotype abt wanting tans like??? Unless u live in Cali or Australlia and are one of those beACH gaLs tanning is not popular at all. Tanning beds are looked down upon cuz they can cause skin cancer (i sure as hell am not getting in one of those things).

7. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Veteran

Currency:
    Astronaut
    Actually origin of them is kinda similar
    In Korea light skin meant aristocrat who didnt spend time outside
    In US particularly tanned skin meant rich enough to go somewhere sunny for vacation in winter times

They are both about being pretend rich

8. msmissy

msmissy Trainee

Currency:
    she/they for mini
    not rlly bcuz the desire to look lighter has deep roots in colonialism and colorism, while wanting to look darker doesn't.

blackjackdirecti likes this.
  9. WNter

WNter Rookie

Currency:
    Nowdays it's out of fashion. But in '00s everyone was tanning in the solariums like crazy. Just see photos of celebrities from those times.

[​IMG]

Bleaching skin with unsafe chemicals is not a thing in Korea. It's more common for Southeast Asia and India. When you see someone "too white' for a Korean, it's most likely makeup or/and filters. And Korean skincare with "whitening" word in the product name is against uneven skin tone (post acne or sun damage spots) it doesn't make you whiter than you naturally are.

#9 WNter, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    blackjackdirecti and Blacknwhite like this.
  10. thighssavelives

thighssavelives Jihyo is my Daddy

Currency:
    luda's basement
    oh god people thinking tanning is safe
    theyre both equally dangerous

11. rosseannepark

rosseannepark Celebrity

Currency:
    Hoe for Rosé
    Colourism is a deep rooted issue. No offense but it's definitely not equivalent to white people tanning.

Eleia and blackjackdirecti like this.
  12. roseisme

roseisme Trendsetter

Currency:
    :mad:
    I don't think so for this case. Lighter skin is a beauty standard in Asia not because of wanting to look like white people but because in the past, richer people used to stay indoors while the poorer worked outside so the richer people ended up with fairer skin. Thus it's desired. At least that's what I've heard.

Eleia, KiKi234 and blackjackdirecti like this.
  13. Valenttinna

Currency:
    ooh i didn’t know about that, maybe in my country is not that deep since we probably just copied it from somewhere else but i see both situations being more similar than i thought

Lulu_Key likes this.
  14. sleeplessnights

sleeplessnights Trainee

Currency:
    Professional Proscratinator
    There is an old saying "having fair/white skin conceals your flaws" or something along these lines.

I'd not say it is deep rooted in colonialism at least not for Southeast and East Asians in general. Before any contact with Europeans during exploration age, having a fair skin was already a standard of beauty there since a very long time ago. Having a preference for a fair skin is always more about wealth and status.

It was way before the colonial era, so colonialism isn't really a reason for this trend. I do see it as a multiplier factor. As European nations were powerful and have been exposed to European standards, this association probably reinforced the fair skin preference further. During a more modern time, lot of model ads featured white people as much as their own models during the rise of SK economy, so some of it could have rubbed in to this old preference. Not sure if China and Japan were similarly exposed.

The colorism, I could see it as an argument tied to the origin of why looking paler is considered more noble or high class. It could have started way back with Indo-Europeans invading the Indus valley and fair skinned people becoming part of the high caste, so this association may have started very early on and just passed on to Southeast and East Asia. So this idea was already deep rooted before contact with European powers.

Having a fair skin was also a thing in Western world before modern era as well. Western aristocrats literally applied lead in their face to get paler. The tan trend is new and modern. However, in Asia this fashion trend never went out of date.

Now the argument of wanting something they don't have. Maybe. If I want a tanned skin, I just need to go to the beach with sunscreen and voila. I will get a beautiful tan very easily and low effort. Now if I want to have a paler skin naturally, I have to stay indoor for a really long time. Still it's very reductionist. Maybe in the end of the day any standard of beauty can be reduced to desire for something rare or hard to obtain.

Factors why people have some preferences can be quite complex and have a long history. Dunno if applying just our world view does justice to this topic. It's not like a preference needs to be justified per se. I do understand because whitening can be a controversial topic.

Eleia, faelix and blackjackdirecti like this.
  15. NemuriNezumi

NemuriNezumi Groovy Dormouse

Currency:
    University student
    Actually

It's still pretty popular in countries around the mediterranean sea
    And people who travel there for holidays (mostly in the summer) most do want to archieve a quite significant tan color as well

16. xoxoshawol

xoxoshawol SHINing in Caratland

Currency:
    Collecting Faves
    That's me whenever I'm hiding from strong Sunlight for some days. People say "you're looking like a candle" lmao

17. Valenttinna

Currency:
    even my family has skinshamed because my legs look too white for shorts or skirts lol

xoxoshawol likes this.
  18. faelix

faelix Trainee

Currency:
    this hits close to home lol

Valenttinna likes this.
  19. Valenttinna

Currency:
    i shouldn’t feel happy because someone has experienced the same issue as me.. but i am, i feel you sis :(

20. JiminieKookie

JiminieKookie Professional ATEEZ and A.C.E stan

Currency:
    Park Junhee-stan| Stan A.C.E stan talent!
    If people would like to look tanned or sunburned than more people would buy those items and if you go to a store most even don't sell stuff to make you look tanned. A lot tanning salon also report to go bankrupt cause people stoped using them and if you happen to run into a small store they most likly tell you they don't sell stuff to give yourself a fake tan

Draft saved Draft deleted