Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Is Korea losing interest in idol groups??

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by aestheticqweens, Nov 22, 2017.

1. aestheticqweens

Last year there were so many hit songs with massive longevity - Rough, TT, Cheer Up, Playing with Fire, Decalcomanie etc. These songs charted for 50 weeks on average each. But this year no idol group song has shown such longevity. The only idol group song that have shown signs of longevity so far is Really Really. Red Flavor and AIIYL are charting well right now, but will they be able to show the same kind of longevity? No song has even crossed the 1.5M mark yet. And non-idol acts like AKMU, IU, BB4 and Yoon Jong Shin are dominating this year. Thoughts??

2. Belgian_ELF

Keep in mind that lots of idols made a comeback around the same time (October - November mostly).
    So attention is divided for the groups.

3. Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47 Legend

It's always been like this. Idols are like trends in Korea. Some years they're all the hype and dominate, other years they're just there with the most popular ones doing well / mediocre on the charts.
    Let's not forget that Korea's music market was always dominated by the slow tempo / acoustic / ballad releasing artists.

4. Lee_Hongbins

Lee_Hongbins Super Rookie

People said the same things 5 years ago when busker busker and psy dominated 2012.

5. aestheticqweens

Ah Busker Busker, they had such a fantastic debut year. And now they're nowhere to be found

junmoneyyyy and fxcx09 like this.
  6. suzang

suzang Legend

I actually thought people were paying more attention to idol groups these days. I mean, there are so many groups and idols doing well and it's more equal amongst male and female groups unlike the previous years. Not to mention, people are even paying attention to groups outside of the big 3. There are so many top groups these days. We don't have any national hits released this year but there are so many hit songs from so many different groups. There's no rule that there has to be a national hit every year anyway. Those huge hits that basically make a group's career happen once every couple of years. I'd say the interest in idols is definitely growing.

JJBaker and Jang_Sunny like this.
  7. crowboy

crowboy Star

their "temporary" disbandment seems a lot like a permanent disbandment

8. Hermes1

Hermes1 Star

It's not only S-Korea, since Chinese ministery of culture has banned k-pop from CCTV
    the turnover of some music companies in S-Korea went down 40%.

It is a catastrophe!

So it is a true wonder, that MAMA 2017 Day 3 takes place in Hongkong. In my opinion
    it is the popularity of the event, therefore CCTV supports it. The 'near by effect' advertise for
    the city Hongkong (a tourist magnet incl. Shanghai).

fxcx09 and aestheticqweens like this.
  9. vivante

vivante Star

Well either way, I’m glad that artists like Bolbbalgan, Heize, and Yoon Jung Shin are getting lots of recognition lately ^^

aestheticqweens likes this.
  10. Princess_Pure

Princess_Pure Artist

But anyways,idol groups were never as big as I-fans thought inside Korea. Such artists and indie groups have always been bigger. My friend went to Korea and said Kpop isn't even the mainstream,they listen to artists and western music way more. This year it will be funny if daesangs go to idol groups because most people know even the hits were average af.

Juanlag, yumi98919, fxcx09 and 2 others like this.
  11. super_sunbaes

super_sunbaes Rookie

I noticed that.

12. Spinereader

Award shows seem to be almost nothing but idol groups though. I don't know why, unless those shows only appeal to teens and young adults.

13. PopCandy

PopCandy Artist

I've heard a lot of people say that and of course I can't deny it 100% because I'm not korean and have never been to korea but the more I look at korean charts the more I doubt that they mostly listen to western artists. Have you seen how many western artists chart on their top 100?? It's like 15 out of a 100, at most. It's true that kpop groups are only a part of the market and usually not the most popular music though.

14. SpanishKpoper

SpanishKpoper Super Rookie

maybe the koreans are losing interest in idols because the stupid idol survivals programs like idol school p101s2 was a mess, the unit also...mix9 blablabla...

Marianthi and aestheticqweens like this.
  15. aestheticqweens

But award shows usually cater to large fandoms and non idol acts rarely have large fandons. At the end of the day the general public won't fill up the seats, fangirls will. So, I won't be surprised if idol groups walk away with daesangs, despite the lackluster releases this year.

Princess_Pure likes this.
  16. yumi98919

yumi98919 Artist

It's true. Actually a lot of Koreans don't care about idols groups. They know them but they don't really pay attention to them I guess? A lot of people who hype them are young fans of international (Chinese) fans. Most of the ordinary Korean people like the emotional ballads and they also listen to K-indie music. When it comes to Western music it depends on person. But I've noticed many people don't know the really popular older songs everybody knows like Don't speak etc.

17. lolkyeopta

lolkyeopta Artist

IU isn't an idol??? AKMU aren't idols???? yoo jongshin isn't an idol?????????????? my dude what

18. PopCandy

PopCandy Artist

19. lolkyeopta

lolkyeopta Artist

i meant that the op stated that non idol acts like iu, akmu, etc. are dominating the scene
    but like.......they are all idols lol

20. PopCandy

PopCandy Artist

yeah, I realized that and edited the post, lol