Is cute concept ded?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by JClouds, Oct 31, 2019.

1. JClouds

JClouds Rookie

Currency:
    I was trying to figure out why groups like Cherry Bullet and Cosmic Girls are so unpopular despite being having amazing members and have the ability to release good songs. That got me thinking about how Twice has evolved and just "flopped hard" with 400k sales of a glamour concept cb. Personally I will always prefer cute concept Twice, but if I were a business manager, why would I have a group release a cute concept song nowadays when clearly nobody fucking wants it?

Probably the best cute concept song I have ever heard. It is a catchy, well made song. Bora and Jiwon crushed it with their vocals. Nobody fucking cared.

WSJN isn't really traditional cute concept as they have their own thing going, but I would still categorize it as cute.

Again, nobody cares.

I understand these are groups from smaller companies, but the cute concept just seems to be fading sadly.

A perfect example is Twice's Happy Happy & Breakthrough. They had very similar sales, yet staying away from cute concept with Feel Special has paid off. Yes cute CAN still do well, but if you were going to produce a new cb why would you choose a cute concept? You will have a much better chance at success with another concept.

Is it just a phase? Will cute concept come back in few years once people stop wanting EVERY GROUP to be mature concept? I hope so, IMO Kpop does cute much better than Jpop.

Wench and soapycolors like this.
  2. dokyeomon

dokyeomon Married to @mixtapeskz

Currency:
    It's just that girl crush has been more of the trend this year,like when cute was kind of the norm in 2016.It'll come back around.

3. around

around Rookie

Currency:
    i love cute concepts but a lot more companies are trying to pander to female audiences (i think) with the girl crush concept. it works, though

4. babydoll23

babydoll23 Public Figure

Currency:
    Full time SONE, VIP, Blackjack and Neverland
    Sadly, no. It will never die but it's just less popular than girl crush right now. At one point, the sexy concept was more popular than the girl crush one and before that, cute was more popular.

I give it a year or two before it's more popular again.

5. gobSIDES

gobSIDES Public Figure

Currency:
    One of the best charting idol song of the year was Boy With Luv...

The video, the aesthetic, lyric and sound were all cute.

Cute concept still lives and korean GP will likely always love it. It's just a lot of current groups are trying other concepts, tho most of those groups are not doing too well either and have really low sales.

As for Twice, Jihyo said she wants to go cute for the next comeback so we shall see.

It's worth pointing out the last girl group song to do real well on the charts and get number 1 daily, number 1 gaon, 100m streaming and a pak was a cute song in Yes or Yes.

6. Plushieless

Plushieless Trendsetter

Currency:
    It's just not the trend right now, in one year or even less I see the trend shifting to a brighter kind of concept

Cute or lighter concepts were all the rave not too long ago, then recently (I guess it became the trend last year) it shifted to girl crush. It's kinda like tropical house and edm, tropical house was the trend some time ago, now the groups are more leaning towards edm type of tracks

7. Lubby00

Lubby00 Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Ain’t nothing “sadly” about it :rolleyes:

8. Lubby00

Lubby00 Worldwide Star

Currency:
    Cute concept will never die, it’s just GC is the trend this year, like how Sexy was the trend in 2013-2014 & Innocent was for 2015

Considering who the next gen GGs will be (especially from the big 3), cute will be right back in the hype

Kpopaesthetic1 and GrapeGrope like this.
  9. harambeisalive

harambeisalive Celebrity

Currency:
    It's a cycle, it'll comeback in s few years

10. NoJamMan

NoJamMan Super Rookie

Currency:
    Twice broke the mould when it comes to cute concept, it'll be difficult for a while for any group to make cute concept successful because they'll just be compared to Twice, it'll eventually come full circle though and someone will make a very popular cute song.

ICONicSpotlight likes this.
  11. prodigy210

prodigy210 Leader

Currency:
    lol Cosmic Girls are far from unpopular and there are just as many unpopular girl crush/sexy kpop gg out there. No cute concept isn't dead but it has never been extremely popular in the west. A lot of companies are targeting the western market so they are going for girl crush simple as that.

12. gwynethier

gwynethier Trainee

Currency:
    concept cycle

13. Stats

Stats Super Rookie

Currency:
    I don't think cuteness will ever be dead, but our perception of what is cute will change over time.

I do hope that those "acting underaged = cute" concepts will evolved to something else.

O_o_Cheese likes this.
  14. TwicePower

TwicePower Super Rookie

Currency:
    No
    To be honest i like Twices cute concept more. When did jihyo say this??

15. wizone_feather

Currency:
    I don't understand you. There is no sad thing about cute concept and I prefer it more than girl crush concept.

16. wizone_feather

Currency:
    Cute concept isn't for any group but twice are the best at it. Their members are very cute so they really suit that concept. They should make another cute concept next comback.

17. gobSIDES

gobSIDES Public Figure

Currency:
    Cant remember exactly but it was recently they were hinting at a new comeback sometime in the future and Jihyo said how she would enjoy to do cute again.

Kpopaesthetic1 and TwicePower like this.
  18. ICONicSpotlight

Currency:
    I understand my music preference varies from the Korean preference. I personally don’t listen to WJSN’s music because it’s no high tempo/high energy/hip hop enough for me. Cherry Bullet’s debut song was extremely catchy and it is one of my favorite songs of the year. I Really Like You (or whatever it’s called) was no my style therefore I didn’t support it.

19. Everythingoes8

Everythingoes8 Super Rookie

Currency:
    K-pop is now aiming for western market and we all know that “the badass concept” is what sells here, so I would say that is not what most groups and companies are interesed in doing but is still a thing, it's not going to die yet.

20. babydoll23

babydoll23 Public Figure

Currency:
    Full time SONE, VIP, Blackjack and Neverland
    Just not my preference. You prefer cute, I don't. But I am being honest and saying that it's not going away. It's just off trend lol