“I’m moving to Canada”

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Blacknwhite, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Blacknwhite

Currency:

#21 Blacknwhite, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    omgsoskinny likes this.
  2. Noemi

Noemi Guest

I am not making excuse for Canada being in debt. Just pointing out that US is too.

They aren't. I have just filed my taxes since I turned 18 and hence, know the premiums. Follow the form to the last page and verify it for yourself. All provincial tax isn't health premium.
    https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pbg/5006-c/5006-c-17e.pdf

The pipeline will be beneficial for Canada and it will generate employment definitely. It doesn't mean that's the only thing creating positive employment.

3. Blacknwhite

Currency:

#23 Blacknwhite, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    omgsoskinny likes this.
  4. Noemi

Noemi Guest

The health premiums are what are primarily paid by Canadians for healthcare. Of course the Government allocates additional portion of their revenues to healthcare as well. However, you are not liable to pay more than the health premium for the health care. That's the important thing here. If you are below certain income or have tax credits that cancel out your tax, you only pay the health premium and get that thousands of dollars of health care for free. For example, when I was interning in 2017, my taxable income was $0 even though I earned close to $30,000; because of my tuition credits. I only paid about $16 dollars in OHIP premium and nothing else. It was less than 1% of my income.

I know. I am aware of differences in provincial health premiums. I am familiar with Ontario the most but also Saskatchewan and Alberta because I have filed taxes for my family members at times. The highest one I remember was $450ish.

I am curious though. Why are you filling taxes if you aren't 18? Even if you earn income, you likely don't have tax so you don't receive refund or owe anything. It's very rare given that many adults don't file their returns even though they should. Is it for RRSP room purposes?

5. Blacknwhite

Currency:
    Well I do earn an income from multiple sources and I’m not going to go into specifics but yes I do have to pay around 15% which is not that bad. I do most of the work and give it to my parents to file.
    As for OHIP I don’t think I had to pay anything since it was below 20,000. But honestly it’s just something that’s good to know for the future and I’d rather learn myself than have to hire an accountant like I’ve seen many people do.

#25 Blacknwhite, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    omgsoskinny likes this.
  6. Noemi

Noemi Guest

I was just curious. It's rare to see minors filling. Also, taxes is my forte since I plan to work as an auditor for CRA, in maybe five years. I still have to get my CPA but I am taking a break from studies in general. Hence, my interest, so don't be offended.

Anyway, I think it's clear we have different opinions. I respect your views. I think we should end it. This back and forth isn't fruitful for either of us.

Blacknwhite likes this.
  7. Blacknwhite

Currency:
    Lol don’t worry I’m not offended I hope it didn’t come across that way, yes it’s rare ik but it’s good experience for me and it interests me although I don’t really have plans for a career like that. I respect your views aswell, good luck with your CRA job btw!

omgsoskinny and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Khunro

Khunro Trainee

Currency:
    Samsung Representative
    I don’t know much about Canada or the USA apart from general stereotypes about the healthcare system and stuff. I’m just happy sitting here on my big ass island - Australia.

9. Naia_Nalu

Naia_Nalu Trainee

Currency:
    Aquarium Maintenance Technician, Venera 9 Station
    Canada is building a rental fleet of 9 million Liliums!

10. alicefox123

alicefox123 Newbie

Currency:
    My grandparents live in Canada. I really miss that nature...By the way, our company is expanding and we will soon move to a larger office. I've been waiting for this for so long because when I worked in Canada, we had a spacious office and when I was transferred to Atlanta, I was disappointed. The office was tiny for such a large number of employees. One of these days we are moving to a large office with a great view. Commercial office movers have already started packing some stuff. In general, I hope we will move as soon as possible.

#30 alicefox123, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  11. kinda-obsessed

Currency:
    Hailing my favourite anime characters and Mamamoo
    true i mean i get why americans say that though - anything is better than what they are currently living in