Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

If you had to write something like this what would you write about?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DISABLED#4, Sep 26, 2017.

1. DISABLED#4

DISABLED#4 Leader

So in my country one of the things you have to do to graduate from highschool you have to write a 20-25page scientific essay(no pictures included) about any topic at all that you find interesting so it can technically be something that doesn't really seem scientific like kpop, other music, a book, a tv show... but

Conditions are:
    - It has to be about something based on studies, you need to have sources for everything, it can't just be based on your or other peoples opinion
    - you need a question you ask at the beginning of it, one that makes your topic more specified, you have to focus on a very detailed aspect
    - It needs to have several different chapters with several different sub topics
    - you need to find one teacher who can give you advice on your topic and who needs to approve of everything you write

My topic ended up being the moral and health aspects of Vegetarianism and I got an A for it.

2. boruto

boruto Celebrity

we had to do the same thing! and you have to defend it like a thesis in front of a professor, and it's actually a certain professor you ask to give you the topic. my geography professor gave me my hometown as a topic (bc i moved from it to capital) and it sucked bc even though i knew stuff, i had to write about agriculture, some like history, archeology, even the type of land surrounding my hometown and all the tiniest 50m rivers... and yeah all the meteorology aspects, architecture, culture... just about everything. oh.. and no internet! only books. i actually wanted to do japanese or korean history bc i wanted to learn about it as i'm writing it but nah, she gave me that.

if i were to choose now, i'd probably choose music. like the rise of jazz or sth.

DISABLED#4 likes this.
  3. 으컁컁준수

으컁컁준수 Influential

I've already done this and it wasnt even for school (i am weird i like to write XD)
    I've written about society's customs and the development and inffluence of other societies on customs
    I;ve written about the industrisal revolutions impact on the world
    why humans turn to literature to express ideas found in the world around them <<--this one was significantly shorter than the others
    i wrote about the Russian bourgeoisie
    hmm idk i wrote another short paper addressing other students misconcceptions on science idea's
    Im weird and not the best at writing but yeah

DISABLED#4 likes this.
  4. crowboy

crowboy Trendsetter

!@@
    oh wow, that's interesting! i think... i would've found this extremely difficult. basically i love writing a lot, but i can't write a lot lmao. i always end up getting stuck and wanting to start on another idea

i probably would've written something about writing itself. like, why and how different styles are utilised and the the characteristics of the styles mentioned. it would probably be very dry for anyone else to read, but i'd enjoy researching more into it and expanding my own knowledge for future reference

sweetandspicy746 and DISABLED#4 like this.
  5. ShelterRegulus

ShelterRegulus # 1 Beyblade Fan
    Junior Moderator

Former College Student
    Actually I just did something like this (even though it had graphs and tables *because I need show data for this paper*) and it was about "Today's Standards of Sexiness in the Media" for my Research Writing class [which is a 400 level course]. I would still be able to do that same people under those same requirements. Plus my professor to the class about her 75 page paper on James Bond that she wrote on a typewriter [yes a typewriter] and that needed to find the original version of the James Bond movies.

sweetandspicy746 and DISABLED#4 like this.
  6. GramStan

GramStan Star

I had to do an assessment like that at one point, and for the life of me, I can't remember what it was about. Too many years ago. I did do a mini-thesis on the role of women in the novels of Charlotte Bronte when I was at university - that did pretty well.

DISABLED#4 likes this.
  7. Mai_Turn

Mai_Turn Maichu ^-^
    Events Team

Incle♥Mapsi♥Joyful♥Carat
    We have something similar in Germany ^^ But we have to write about a topic from a superior topic (we have to choose the subject therefore).. e.g. I chose Art, but because my teacher wasn't there anymore, I got into "Religion" ^^
    The superior topic was "Freedom and Responsibility" :) My topic was "Besitzt der Mensch wirklich die Freiheit, sich zu töten? - Die Bewertung des Suizids aus gesellschaftlicher, philosophischer und christlicher Sicht" ^^ The translation would be "Does the human have the freedom to commit suicide? - The thought about suicide from the social, philosophic and christian view" ...
    ... To be honest I wanted to do the topic "Suicide" in general (I also did a presentation about suicide before in this subject), but a mean girl stole my topic -.- so I did this topic about suicide ^^
    The funny thing is, that I was too lazy and only started to write about this a week before deadline, but nevertheless I had the best grade from our course :p I got an A ^^

DISABLED#4 likes this.
  8. StarlightMonbebe

Music or maybe something about psychology, or like patterns (hard to explain but it would be a ton of fun)

DISABLED#4 likes this.
  9. loomynartychild

loomynartychild Notable

Hip hop music, history, controversies, legacy, the movement. Comparing what it is today to what it was back in the late 80s for example and going back even further.

”Can the legacy and aim of a movement be changed based on the generation?”

DISABLED#4 likes this.
  10. xenoblood

xenoblood Rookie

full-time chad
    "The legitimacy of comic books and manga as an art form"
    or
    "Is it possible for art to be objective?"
    i dont know if they fit into the criteria for this sort of essay, but i would love to write about them !

sweetandspicy746 likes this.
  11. rosshickers

rosshickers Trainee

Writer
    I understand you so much. I remember my introductory essay. It was complicated. I wrote so many drafts that I'm getting one of them could create a book. It's good that now there are services that can help in writing written assignments.

12. kevinspear

kevinspear Trainee

Interesting...

MargaretBuford likes this.
  13. kyutiemir22

kyutiemir22 Hockstetters Ride or Die Hoe
    Junior Moderator

Probably the Stephen King universe.

MargaretBuford likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted