Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

If GFriend had worn school uniforms for Fingertip

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by SeulgisAbs, Sep 20, 2018.

?

Rite?

1. Yup totes.source music messed up. They changed concepts (at least clothes wise) too soon.

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Naah. What's meant to happen, happens. Ya don't know dat?

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Abs, your threads are getting watery dat by day!

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. SeulgisAbs

SeulgisAbs Notable

Instead of the army uniforms, they'd still be a top 3 girl group!

Like, Fingertip was a generic cute/innocent song that was wrapped in a pseudo-edgy cover that is the military kits. But Korean fans or gp didn't see it that way.

If they had just presented Fingertip in it's real form aka as a cutesy generic GFriend song, their course over 2017-2018 would of been completely different and they'd still be able to rival Twice !

Rite rite?

2. POLO_COOL

POLO_COOL Newbie

i think like that

3. zedi

zedi Notable

don't know but that song felt like a Jpop not a Kpop
    +changing a concept is something not everyone can do ,
    even big bg group with their massive fanbase didn't get it right or at least people need to adjust to that change

4. kimjisoo

kimjisoo Public Figure

Jisoo's bitch
    doesn't matter as long as blackpink is in my area
    OP is overreacting is as usual, but they're right with saying that Fingertip wasn't a big chance in concept

5. diiandreea

diiandreea Rookie

kpop trash since 2011
    No. I don’t like school uniforms at all. And a song is not enough to place someone between the top 3 girl groups.

6. SeulgisAbs

SeulgisAbs Notable

but a song can propel someone already in the in the tip 3, down! GFriend was unarguably the 2nd gg at the time

7. SeulgisAbs

SeulgisAbs Notable

but a song can propel someone already in the in the tip 3, down! GFriend was unarguably the 2nd gg at the time

8. Abeamus

Abeamus Married to @Couponski

Buddy Gang
    I think the real problem is that Fingertip as a song did nothing, like lets take a look at Gfriends hits. Firstly there was Glass Bead which has lyrics about not underestimating them and Korea loves powerful lyrics like that, then you have Me Gustas Tu which Gfriend is where Gfriend capturing the innocence of youth really came into play. You can link Navillera to the same meanwhile Rough has the innocence and lyrics going for it and Time For The Moon Night has the lyrics.

It's easy to see that the other title tracks are lacking except for Summer Rain which was rushed from SouMu so i'd be surprised if people knew Gfriend had a song called Summer Rain. Fingertip lacked both lyrics and image and basically went against everything Gfriend stood for and just dressing them in school uniform wouldn't have changed that.

kimjisoo, Rand_Al_Thor and cia_0 like this.
  9. choi_yuna_bias

choi_yuna_bias Notable

Buddy
    The school trilogy ended with Rough. After that, they were done with the school girl concept because the youngest members (Umji and Sinb) would have graduated high school by then.

kimjisoo likes this.
  10. Papayaaa

Papayaaa Rookie

I lowkey agree.
    Fingertip was their best song and it had everything people liked in the school ones.
    I feel like the concept was just meh and that's what put people off.
    They don't have to wear school uniforms till they hit 50 either, but the military thing was just too far from GFriend's spirit.

11. boyvert4bom

boyvert4bom Newbie

If you look at Digital sales, Fingertip was not a huge hit, sure. It still did "okay" reached 576,801 DL's
    However album sales sure did well. 75,363

Compare that to Snowflake, the album that spawned a little song called "Rough": 2,500,000+ DL's
    Snowflake sales: 42,753

That's a HUGE, HUGE jump.

SoMu plays it smart. They have to. GFriend is their only source of income.
    SoMu play to the fandom, first and foremost.

They have been focusing on 2 things, Album physical sales, concerts and event appearances.
    Whatever brings in the cash. (This year they are at every festival, continuing with their concerts..)

So we have a previously unknown group, from a small new agency, with no history or known members.
    Become currently the 3rd best selling 3rd Gen Girl Group in terms of total sales. 2nd year in a row. (490,240)

If you stan them or not, they are certainly among the top 5.
    They have all paid of their trainee debt.
    Allowed their agency to grow into new offices with multiple training rooms.
    They have a better, larger dorm.

They did this in 3 years.

#11 boyvert4bom, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  12. Bebe

Bebe Public Figure

I feel the song was still too different and jarring coming from them. Don't get me wrong I like the song, but it's def different.
    Their concept drags in fans that can be pretty questionable, even if they were still in fetish outfits it's still too 'different' for their kr fans.

BeeForTheHani likes this.
  13. goury

goury Trainee

Nah the song just wasn't a bop, it was too generic and bland.

14. twentyfivedollar

it would have to be a different song suiting the schoolgirl concept. Fingertip sound is too aggressive for school girl

15. JoeGonnaRun

JoeGonnaRun Newbie

Scarecrow of Radish Field
    It's nothing to do with the outfit. The song itself is....idk how to describe but the chorus and the verse is not matched to me. The build-up before the chorus is good, but the chorus is out of nowhere jump out.

16. BeeForTheHani

BeeForTheHani Public Figure

Bread baker
    Fingertip is musically a different song even if it shares a few things in common with the rest of their discography. It's driven by an electro disco beat (the whole musical track could have been lifted right off an 80s italo/euro/electro disco record), and the chord progression creates a different and stronger tension than their other songs, plus there are none of the lush orchestral sounds that are a hallmark of their other hits. Lyrically it matches up with what people expect from them, but musically and visually does not. It's interesting that this was a less popular effort from them but Apink's I'm So Sick, a similar departure from their usual sound, did quite well.

kimjisoo likes this.
  17. Hermes1

Hermes1 Icon

E-girls in school girl uniform
    [​IMG]

SKE48 in school girl uniform
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AKB48 in school girl uniform
    [​IMG]

18. Rand_Al_Thor

They lost a portion of the first week listeners from the previous 2 hits some of that surly was because of the styling.

The song resonated with a much smaller while still respectable audience(500k while not a hit is not awful.)
    Physicals for the mini were the same as for LOL.
    So while not flashy it was 2 75k sellers back to back and every album since has sold well.
    100k for the next with a repack
    digitals stayed down until Time for the moon Night. which should be around 500k DP this month.
    It feels like 500k is at least a million dl. Gaon changed last years chart to dp and the top song only has 620million (gotta be bs or at least apples and watermelon) no way only these 2 songs broke 500M last year.
    upload_2018-9-20_6-56-24.png

But remember Naverilla did less half of rough so the digital down trend continued.
    1.2 million

19. SeulgisAbs

SeulgisAbs Notable

your point is?