Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Idols who you want to stan, but something is in the way

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by An_iKONIC_VIP, Apr 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. An_iKONIC_VIP

An_iKONIC_VIP Newbie

Is there a group that you feel like you would stan, but there is something that is stopping you? like everything seems to be working, and you would normally go for them, but they seem to be missing the one thing that could push you to stan?

One group for me would be Mamamoo, I like the genres they go for and I enjoy their voices. But their music as a whole doesn't do it for me, and i'm not sure why. I thought for sure their latest release would finally be it, from the teasers, but then the music started and they didn't go as all out as i wanted them to.

Another group is Exo. They have catchy music, and whenever a song starts I like it, but somehow i always end up tired of the beat before the song is halfway through.

I think Nct has the same problem with me as with Exo, I start out liking a song and then end up meh by the end.

You guys can suggest songs to me if youd like, but know that I already checked out most of each groups discography. who knows though, i could have spaced and missed an amazing song.

shineeeeeeeeee likes this.
  2. rosequeen13

rosequeen13 Newbie

Being a Baby and a student
    I would love to stan gfriend but their releases can be dissapointing at times. Hoping to see what they'll do this time. Maybe, they'll change my mind

sonemariam likes this.
  3. jagerjack

jagerjack Public Figure

BlackPink, Pentagon, IKON - their immature fans.

Mergs likes this.
  4. UnspecialK

UnspecialK Trainee

Wow after listening to The 7th Sensesus, you decided not to stan nct? Im shocked

But to answer your question
    Blackpink because they don't release a lot of music
    Pentagon because there are NO ENGLISH SUBS!!!! (╥﹏╥)

sonemariam likes this.
  5. An_iKONIC_VIP

An_iKONIC_VIP Newbie

I follow Gfriend, but i can see why some don't go for them. I have to admit, a large part of my fondness has to do with the nostalgia their songs give me for back when i was a huge Anime fan. I look forward to seeing what they do in the future, especially since they have a lot of people that want to hear something new but not too new.

Its always a shame when fans cause people to be turned off to a group D: . I usually avoid a toxic fandom so that it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of a group, but i can see how someone who likes talking about groups would be turned off when the only people they can turn to, they don't particularly like. I hope you eventually get over that hurdle, and give them another chance.

rosequeen13 and jagerjack like this.
  6. Rand_Al_Thor

Rand_Al_Thor Trendsetter

OMG -- i have tried , english subs seem to be lacking as well as the music seems to be hit or miss. I like many of the kids but the groups does not click to me,,,, yet i keet giving them a shot because they execute very well.

7. An_iKONIC_VIP

An_iKONIC_VIP Newbie

I have one NCT song in my playlist and thats "Baby don't like it".

Let's hope for a more active Blackpink D: . And lol, no eng subs stopping someone, i didn't expect that.

deathlymuse likes this.
  8. victress

victress Trainee

Any group with too many members. >=9 members does not work for me. because basically everyone sing one line and then disappear, that bothers me.
    But i really began to dig SVT recently, they have some good songs.

NinaNinaNina likes this.
  9. jagerjack

jagerjack Public Figure

Yeah, I mean, Blinks are obsessed with taking over Twice. And since I am once first of all, I am uncomfortable with that. Like, if I stan BP I will have to deal with Twice hate, which I can't.
    With Pentagon, I checked them out, I liked their songs and my attention was caught by the dude who looks like GD. And I like GD actually, so I simply asked fans of Pentagon is EDawn a GD fan and why does he want to be like him, and the outrage was galactic level lol
    And with IKON, again, fans care too much about their numbers. And since I follow Jpop as well, I know that Ikon is no one there. They only sell concert tickets because YG markets them as BB little brothers and they are half empty sometimes. And we couldn't agree on that with ikonics :D

10. baeyong

baeyong Trainee

wanting to change my name to sth jeno related
    bts. it's a shame because i like some of their music, but armys have done things that i just can't put behind me

Ostara, Scarlet_ryeo, gay6 and 3 others like this.
  11. An_iKONIC_VIP

An_iKONIC_VIP Newbie

Sounds frustrating. Also describes my jpop journey very well lol. Not much eng subbed content and groups i would try to get into sometimes would have more misses than hits. Good luck D: on your endeavors, hope something clicks eventualy.

I used to think like that, and then i got into Twice somewhat. I didn't like that ikon had 7 members before i got into them either, and that's a more normal number among kpop lol.

Rand_Al_Thor likes this.
  12. CoolestPolarBear

Most girl groups. I only really STAN boy groups, and I only watch GG songs when I want something catchy or they have a more interesting concept, like tomboy/masculine (think Amber from F(x), but a whole group) or sexy concept.

13. An_iKONIC_VIP

An_iKONIC_VIP Newbie

It lowkey sounds like you dont have the best way with words XD. I can't say much for the others since i like BP, but i don't follow them as closely. I can talk about how ikonics act though, to put it in perspective. I do agree that some go off pretty easily, but i think it has more to do with how they've been targeted since the beginning. They were brought into the public's attention through a survival show pitting them against another team, so they already had that hate. Then they had a big debut, and got hate from people that didn't think they deserved it, even though they had to go through another survival show to debut. Then they were gone to japan, and kpop fans jumped at the chance to paint them in a bad light. In short, ikonics are like that grumpy old dude that gives off a bad vibe, but then it turns out he had a heart of gold all along, he just went through some stuff. I don't think there has been a single comeback where ikon wasn't targeted, so i hope that eventually the hate dies down so that ikonics arent side eyeing everyone. They gained some sympathizers this past comeback, after seeing all the slander they went through, so let's hope for good things to come.

Sugar_Hugs, chiblet28 and jagerjack like this.
  14. An_iKONIC_VIP

An_iKONIC_VIP Newbie

I admit, Army used to be very annoying with how they are everywhere always mentioning BTS, but i refused to let that make me bitter D: . So I just remind myself of the time that anime was growing. Every single anime avatar in youtube spanned a huge convo of "omg otaku!". I used to be like "yeah :D im one of those." So i'm starting to see their side, eventually itll die down. Kpop sucks when you have grudges, so i hope you eventually get over those things.

Is it the voices? or you just don't think most Girl Groups have unique concepts?

15. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Rookie

For me it's NCT -- NCT U and NCT 127 in particular.

I know they're the hot new thing these days, and I totally understand why. Their dancing is incredible, they've got the best rappers SM has ever produced, their MVs are stunning... but the problem is I have to watch those MVs with the sound off. I like to think of myself as pretty open-minded, and I like a lot of different music. But I find most of NCT's stuff pretty unlistenable; a real rarity for me. I give them all the credit in the world for their overflowing talent, and I mean the group no disrespect! I just find their songs aren't melodic enough for me; they aren't to my personal taste and though I've tried to get into the group I keep getting turned off.

That said: NCT Dream is great! They've got some excellent songs which I very much appreciate :)

#15 Coelacanth, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Sayuuu_29, gay6, lurkerrr and 2 others like this.
  16. An_iKONIC_VIP

An_iKONIC_VIP Newbie

Same, though I wouldn't go as far as to say their music is unlistenable. I've seen mark rap in that competition show, i didn't expect that coming from an sm group tbh.

Sayuuu_29 likes this.
  17. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Rookie

Mark is so talented! Hell, every member I've seen is really talented! So I have all the respect in the world for NCT, and I sincerely would like to stan them. It's just that their music just doesn't work for me at all, so I'll have to appreciate their abilities from a distance :)

18. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Public Figure

I love girl group songs but I find them really hard to stan. I don't find their personalities entertaining as a whole. It's not their fault or anything, it's not something anyone can change. I try watching their v app broadcasts and variety show appearances but I get bored. There are some exceptions, but it takes me a lot longer to warm to them.

#18 Queeeenie, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  19. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Public Figure

Just wanted to recommend this song in case you haven't heard it. I think they under-use their vocalists generally in the title songs however in this song they really shine! I'm a fan but I totally understand why people find their stuff a bit jarring and unlistenable. It took me forever to like Firetruck.

Coelacanth likes this.
  20. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Rookie

Wow, you're totally right! This is a great song, and proves that NCT is just as impressive in the vocal department as it is in all others :) They do have other songs I like as well -- it's just that most of their promoted output ('Boss,' 'Black on Black,' etc.) is a bit off-putting to me, and though I have nothing but respect for the group, I can't call myself a fan.

Then again, that's my problem, not NCT's! After all, they've won themselves a vast and rapidly-growing fanbase, and I applaud them for it. Not every group is going to appeal to every person, and I've just had to accept that NCT doesn't focus on my kind of music. I wish them all the best, though! The Kpop industry is healthiest when it's got songs of every type, and for every kind of listener.

An_iKONIC_VIP and Queeeenie like this.