Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

I think BTS will have a longer career and their music more value if they stop with the hip hop stuff

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by SkinnyJungkook, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SkinnyJungkook

I think BTS will have a longer career and their music more value if they stop with the hip hop stuff.

Hip hop tend to capitalize on trends of the social realm. It is not clinical nor philosophic. And most importantly, it doesn't put a lot of stock on melody.

pikkur and DJ_The_Tamian like this.
  2. DJ_The_Tamian

DJ_The_Tamian Trainee

School, Singer, Songwriter
    That is true.

3. EXODADDIES

EXODADDIES Star

EXO's personal d*ck sucker
    What do you mean by hip-hop?
    Most their music now is not even hip-hop..

4. figueres

figueres Rookie

fulltime trash
    true though

5. Kongming

Kongming Newbie

I think BTS will have a long career if they keep mixing it up like they have been.

6. LuhanHobiarelife

LuhanHobiarelife Celebrity

their Hip Hop songs are major reasons reasons why they're successful in America tho look at the success of mic drop top 30 and 10 weeks strong on the billboard chart plus the gold too

Joasebastian likes this.
  7. Baltax

Baltax Rookie

The group was created to do "hip-hop stuff" that's why they have RM and Suga. Now they've gone more pop, but they still release 1 o 2 hip-hop songs.
    I think they might do more pop music from now on and do more hip hop in with their solo stuff.

Blabluegree likes this.
  8. Puffinseyoo

Puffinseyoo Trainee

so their fans are telling them not to do what they are passionate about and just forfeit everything that they stand for just so their stupid 12 year old american fans can watch more cringy fanmade videos about them doing wierd stuff on youtube

9. SkinnyJungkook

Take for instance, "DNA," which is a mighty good song in itself. At the very beginning of the first verse, with Taehyung's vocal part, what a great part-- melodically engaging-- it captures you with its groove and ease and accessibility; I was surprised it was not repeated during the second verse-- instead it was clipped off for an obligatory, very much superfluous rap part from Suga. The song lost momentum and seem fragmented than it should've been after that particular part.

10. cr4ckh34d

cr4ckh34d Trainee

But they don’t even do a hip hop concept anymore?????

11. KIDLEADER

KIDLEADER Public Figure

IU's personal hoe
    They stopped a long time ago.

12. Chaittra

Chaittra Icon

They portray a lot of styles and that is their strength. They can adapt to any genre and without completely failing in any. I would love if they revisit their older eras sometime in future...

randomstrang3r and SweetMoon like this.
  13. sandrayang

sandrayang Rookie

??? no?

doing hip-hop stuff was one of the reasons a big chunk of their fans fell for them and like them. their cypher series are among their most liked songs! both some of the members and their early sound have their roots in there. and whats this about it not being clinical or philosophic? you're completely losing me there since 90% of their hip-hop related tracks are their songs that tip towards being their rawest materials, where they talk about their identities as performers, the shit they have to deal with or had to deal with, the changes they want to achieve, etc.

even in korea, BTS became very popular with 1st gen seo taiji era fans now. the generation of fans who distances themselves from kpop after that era passed because following gens lost the philosophy out of their songs. BTS are talked about as a group that reminds older gen fans of the years of ST when songs had strong messages, stands on societal questions, and not just empty verses here and there to fill a poppy song.

but even without that i don't understand why would anyone have your opinion if they know BTS. hip-hop is one part of their identities as musicians and performers. it's not their whole profile, but it is an important part. them removing it sounds like they'd deconstruct their identities. imagine namjoon or yoongi being told to completely lose that hip-hop stuff. jhope was a street dancer before a rapper in the veins of hip-hop. and even the members who didn't have a strong connection to that genre spent a long time learning aspects of it. BTS is that group who actually addressed cultural appropriation and put effort into learning more of the culture itself barely after debut.

BTS is a group which's strength comes from bangpd and bighit not limiting who they are. they let them make their own mixtapes besides working on group material for that very reason. they told this countless times, they know that the fans love BTS for that sort of freedom. you saying that their hip-hop stuff devalues their music is so ??? what even.

14. astraeapop

astraeapop Public Figure

Hip hop is their USP so I don't think they can get away from it. They definitely should work on refining their melodies, once they do, they'll put out a genuinely timeless song. They're not there yet but there's time enough to get there.

rjkoya3579 likes this.
  15. Blabluegree

Blabluegree Notable

Warlord
    BTS should just keep making music that connects with their ideals and opinions as they have been doing.

If I'm being honest I would really like to see more r&b and hiphop vibes in this next mini album. And I low-key want them to explore rock.

16. Scarlet_ryeo

Scarlet_ryeo Trainee

hip hop is not my type really.

daehyunssister likes this.
  17. kanjou

kanjou Trainee

18. LadyS

LadyS Icon

Botmy
    It’s been like two days since you joined and I’m already sick of you girl

randomstrang3r and Joasebastian like this.
  19. 94hope

94hope Trainee

but they don't even do hiphop stuff TT and they should do what they enjoy even though bc they should do what they love~!! (even though i highkey want hiphop era back lol )

Themistocles and randomstrang3r like this.
  20. Fantastic7

Fantastic7 Newbie

??? their music isnt even heavily hip hop based they just usually have 1 or 2 songs that are
    ...those just happen to be some that get popular
    they should just be mixing it up like they have been, one album different from the other with a different message.

randomstrang3r likes this.