I have questions about SM and Lee Soo Man...

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by notgeorge, Dec 2, 2019.

1. notgeorge

notgeorge Trainee

Currency:
    Mainly in relation to YG and YGE.

So I remember a little bit about Lee Soo Man’s scandals over the years but I can’t recall it all, I’m hoping some people on here will know.

I remember years and years ago there being corruption charges against him and he was wanted by Interpol for some time. He came back and was found guilty but was later pardoned. In just a quick google search I’ve seen other accusations of fraud, embezzlement and tax evasion. Also I think there was a lot of anger over SM ‘slave contracts’.

Everyone knows the situation at YGE right now. The recent scandals have affected not just the business and those directly involved but all other artists at YGE. Who knows how long this will last. Some have been very quick to say this is the end of YGE altogether.

So my questions are:
    1. Were any of LSM’s scandals as widely publicised and talked about as YG ones?
    2. Did LSM scandals strike a blow to SME like YG scandals have crushed YGE?
    3. Were SM artists affected by the image of their company?
    4. SM seem to be doing alright now (correct me if I’m wrong), do you think in 5-10 years YG will have recovered and this will all be a barely remembered nightmare?
    Bonus question (and almost totally unrelated apart from in my sleep deprived mind): Is JYP actually in a cult?!

Serendipity2000 likes this.
  2. whateverwonwoo

whateverwonwoo Celebrity

Currency:
    idk anything about the other questions but for this one I strongly believe that mf is in a cult no matter what he says. so is park bogum, I said what I said.

3. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Veteran

Currency:
    Astronaut
    I think at the time LSM did separate himself from SM to soften the blow.
    I think LSM is not face of SM as much as YG is face of YGE.
    Like LSM wasnt in a variety show or survival shows lkke YG, so technically he wasnt that much of a public figure comapre to YG and JYP.

4. notgeorge

notgeorge Trainee

Currency:
    Haha, I knew it!

I know he hasn’t been the CEO for a long time so this could be part of it. I was just wondering because all the accusations are to do with him as a business man and he founded SM. He’s still been on tv shows though, but not to the extent YG has.

whateverwonwoo likes this.
  5. Kouss

Kouss Super Rookie

Currency:
    Take my recollection with a grain of salt cause so much happens in kpop, but this is how i remember it.

I think all of those charges were targeted at his personal business and not SM. Lee Soo Man is technically just a consultant for SM and isn't a part of the company. Basically SM pays LSM company then LSM company pays the man himself.

Either way the company wasn't dragged through the mud as much because it primarily had to do with LSM consulting company and LSM personal finances.

Because of this, it seemed SM's reputation as a company wasn't affect as much and LSM is kinda private and isn't seen as the face of SM as much, so the GP stopped caring and related it to SM.

#5 Kouss, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    IJustLoveLay and whateverwonwoo like this.
  6. notgeorge

notgeorge Trainee

Currency:
    Ahhh ok. And YG was accused of gambling company money (even though I think they decided it was his own?) and tax evasion for YGE so it reflected badly on the whole company. Thanks! I just didn’t pay much attention to the business side of kpop when I started getting into it so I couldn’t remember if it was such a huge deal as the YG stuff is.

Kouss likes this.
  7. Rand_Al_Thor

Currency:
    Long long time ago.
    the internet, social media and the instant news along with cancel culture were still far off.
    You have no idea how hard it was just to get info less than a decade ago.
    Now you are bombarded with all kinds of crap constantly.

YG has a culture(at least a very strong perception of one) of Korean law breaking by its artists. By that i mean stuff against the law in Korean but not many other places this does not play well to some. But builds the brand to others they purposefully play fast and loose with the law to build cred.

SM had a drug issue with one of its very first stars, caused LSM to dump overt rap/hip hop and go for the hard core controlled sm culture we now see.

But time can heal, heck psy was a draft dodger who had to serve a second enlistment and now he is loved.

#7 Rand_Al_Thor, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    IJustLoveLay and Sayuuu_29 like this.
  8. notgeorge

notgeorge Trainee

Currency:
    Thank you for sharing your opinions, I think you are right. I know there is a lot to both situations so it’s not really a straight comparison, I was just curious and looking to the future, with YGE expected to do several big things, if people think they can make it past the scandals or not. I wanted proper thought out opinions from others which I have received. :)
    I’m not quite as young as a lot of people on this forum so I know what you mean about information before social media. Another part of cancel culture is dragging things up from the past and not allowing for people to have grown and learnt from their mistakes. I don’t think LSM has suffered much of this.

Rand_Al_Thor likes this.
  9. Kouss

Kouss Super Rookie

Currency:
    This is spicy and something cool to bring up to nonkpop fans who only know Psy

10. chounim

chounim Rookie

Currency:
    The situations aren't comparable because in YGs case the scandals involved the artists, especially the accusations that the company bribes the police to cover up for their artists alleged crimes. In SM's case it was always about the man himself, alone, and he had distanced himself from the company years ago. It's not the same.

So the answer is no for all the questions except for 4, I don't know about that.