I Don't Want K-Pop To Go Mainstream

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by emanresu, May 23, 2017.

1. midori123

midori123 Rookie

It won't become mainstream in the West. Why? Because the general public doesn't want to listen to songs that are not spoken in English.

2. SowonderfulBlue

SowonderfulBlue Super Rookie

Way back before K-Pop blew up in 2013, I had an argument with this guy about having K-Pop artists debut in the US. Though I didn't want them to become fully active, I was all for it and he was against it. I never understood why and it upset me. Years later, now I understand.

IMO, K-Pop has already become pretty mainstream. Maybe not ideally in the eyes of most fans but looking at where K-Pop stands now, the change of its sound, and the massive gain of fans from the attention brought to it, K-Pop is pretty widely known. Proof of this is fans that AREN'T just other asians or people that are into Korean culture, YouTubers like FomoDaily, K-Pop joining award shows outside of Asia (SNSD with YouTube, BTS with BBMA), etc.

K-Pop has always been influenced by westernized music, but never at the same time with current trends. You see groups now like BTS who have really lost and changing their initial style of musical identity from rap and hip-hop to more mainstream trends, ones that are popular in western music and more current. Seventeen who is known for having a really unique sound and group image/concepts also decided to forego their signature sound and went with one that is similar to The Chainsmokers. While other groups still retain their signature sounds, their title tracks have been known to pick up on mainstream music as well. K-Pop is also now recognized and included in iTunes, as its own genre.

K-Pop is definitely not what it used to be. There are pros and cons... but I think most fans would agree with this, especially ones that have been fans for much longer that K-Pop's initial sound has changed along with the changing trends in music and evolving with it, now being more current than it was in its first two generations where they seemed to "behind" on the trends in fashion AND in music. Hook choruses and key dance moves are no longer a common focus among all groups, their choreography is also more "westernized" now as well as being "cooler". More and more groups are being styled differently rather than having the same, if not similar uniform.

I think just because it's not heard on the radio doesn't necessarily mean it's not mainstream because proof aside, I'd say it is. In the past, K-Pop was only known among Asians and those who were interested in Korean culture. Now people are coming across it on their own regardless of being interested in Korean culture due to gaining attention for far more things and has garnered interest with international fans from all over the world. Conventions and concerts, the list goes on. I don't know why anyone wouldn't consider it mainstream honestly.

VIPFFORLIFe101 likes this.
  3. Tae_Kookies

Tae_Kookies Newbie

I totally agree and I'm actually happy that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I've always liked kpop's uniqueness and I loved that it wasn't listened to by so many people. It was like a small community. I love things like Weekly Idol because it's so different than North American variety shows. It's unique. I didn't even watch BTS's interviews in America because I don't enjoy America's media style as compared to Korean entertainment media. And when I see "I'm a new ARMY or ExoL" or whatever on videos, I feel bad deep down. Not because the groups are getting success, but because more people are starting to listen to Kpop. I know it's being kinda selfish but I really want to listen to something that only a few people listen to. Especially because I already love the style of kpop and the style of Korean entertainment shows and stuff. Also, when BTS was nominated for the BBMA's, I had a bitter-sweet feeling. Even though I love BTS and want them to be successful, I was frustrated that this once-little kpop world would be shared with the rest of the world. : ( I just want it to be like how it was 5-6 years ago. It was more fun back then.

dope_5 likes this.
  4. G_Kkaebsong

G_Kkaebsong Super Rookie

Meh, Kpop is pop music sung in Korean, the only difference with western music is the variety shows that come with it. But let's be honest, korean people love their country, success outside of Korea doesn't matter to them.
    Rather than being selfish, not wanting something to go mainstream is more of a special snowflake syndrome imo.

5. LeviAckerman777

LeviAckerman777 Super Rookie

Kpop fans already hate western music so if Kpop becomes mainstream not only will kpop change a lot to meet the standards, but more kpop fans will start talking crap about either

A. Racism
    B. Will probably disrespect more western artist (more than they already do) or some might disrespect Asian artist...
    C. Start compalning about the change
    D. More immaturity

etc, etc...

6. ihavemyownkey

ihavemyownkey Public Figure

Honestly, I think you can rest easy.
    The U.S is still very racist, (even though some people here tend to live in the Land of Denial). I see threads everywhere talking about different artists and why they would be the best contender for 'Kpop Artist who Will Win the West'. From CL, to Big Bang, to BTS. Fans thrilled because they were recognized with some obscure award, that most celebrities here don't even covet. Then they take that right to "Oh yes. This means the West will accept them, when no. That's not what it means at all. It's hard enough for ACTUAL AMERICANS to become the next big thing here, but come on, a Korean all boy group that wears make-up, are polite and are really pretty. First off, you're going to hear about the makeup. Then people will start being really insensitive, calling them names. Many of them don't speak the best English, and no American (outside of those who are stans already) are going to sit around trying to learn the names of 7,9,11, 13 members, I don't care how hot their music is.Then we have the baseless stereotypes that they'll have to deal with, and don't come trying to rap, because honestly, the hiphop community isn't trying to hear that. (Look what happened to Iggy), and most of the comments I ever heard about CL was how they wanted to smash, none really respected her as an actual artist.

Psy was a fluke, and sorry Psy stans, but 'Gangnam Style' was a trend, a funny joke to many people. It went viral because people wanted to be entertained by "the funny Chinese man who dances like he's riding a horse". They didn't even know his ethnicity! But stans took that as acceptance because of his YT views, when people were passing it around on FB to laugh at it. I don't know how many people I corrected about his being Korean before I had to give up. They didn't acknowledge his album, didn't care. Just cared about the "funny horsie song". If it was so loved and such a hit, why didn't we continue to hear about it? Why did it simply die off?

Anyway, don't be worried. No one in Kpop has a huge shot to become a hit. I would be stunned if anyone out now becomes successful here in the U.S, especially under this current administration making racists feel emboldened and free to marginalize PoC. Hate crime has risen here, with offenses against, black, Muslim and Asians having grown since November's election. Why anyone would want their bias/ bias group here is beyond me.

7. PopCandy

PopCandy Celebrity

this is very true. however I do think k-pop is gaining strength in the west as a niche. A few years before I had barely ever heard of k-pop and had no idea what it was about and now not only me but a lot of people are at least learning it exists and it is a thing. So I don't think it will ever go mainstream, just go from complete obscurity to people knowing it exists but choosing not to engage with it in the majority of cases.

8. brucekhanhho

brucekhanhho Newbie

I wouldn't mind it!