I Don't Want K-Pop To Go Mainstream

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by emanresu, May 23, 2017.

1. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Yes, this is how I see it as well.

2. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Lol....

3. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    I realize it's mainstream elsewhere. My post specifically details mainstream as it applies to the West. I don't care if it's mainstream elsewhere.

And I know they'll continue to grab for that pie. I'm just lamenting them doing so.

4. rosslyn

rosslyn Public Figure

Currency:
    Newly wed
    I agree with you, though kpop has become somewhat mainstream, kpop idols should give up making it in America or any other western country, racism and ignorance is still present in both sides of the world so I don't think Korean idols can deal with the "ching chong" jokes and Western won't deal with the Blackface and racists slangs of "dumb blonde"
    So we're better off like this

5. IgotExosBangtan

Currency:
    I honestly don't see kpop becoming mainstream music. At all. There are far too many ignorant and close minded people in the west who will discard anything or anyone that doesn't speak the required language. Plus, if there's one thing I've learned about western mainstream music it's divided into two areas. "Baby baby please music" or "sex sells music" and many kpop groups don't fit into that category. Also, there's little to next to NO Asian representation in the west. There are plenty of Asian actors/musicians but they are all kept in a little shaded corner where they are ignored and kept. When it comes to western success in the industry, Asians are a minority. So I don't see kpop becoming mainstream.

FranF45 likes this.
  6. RC377

RC377 Newbie

Currency:
    lmao don't worry, you definitely aren't the only one. I do want them to be successful, and I'm fine with kpop being popular in Japan and China...But idk something about to being popular in the west kinda makes me worried xD

emanresu likes this.
  7. ArieIIe

ArieIIe Idol

Currency:

emanresu likes this.
  8. kashchanocchi

kashchanocchi Married to @jesusagrees

Currency:
    It's already mainstream af but if it were to get any more "mainstream" then I'd be turned off tbh

it's already hard enough sharing a bias!!!! (half joking maybe)

emanresu likes this.
  9. the_suddenlykfan

the_suddenlykfan Trendsetter

Currency:
    Isn't Kpop mainstream already? Maybe in western countries it's unknown to general aundiences but in Asia is pretty mainstream. Honestly, I don't understand this fear of some fans to kpop turning "too western influenced" when it's already heavily influenced by western culture especially, North American artists. I think that as long as kpop artist can keep their own distinctive flavor and high quality in their music, there's nothing to worry about.

emanresu likes this.
  10. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Yea I mean mainstream in the West, and specifically the U.S.

the_suddenlykfan likes this.
  11. Sayuuu_29

Sayuuu_29 Public Figure

Currency:
    Self-proclaimed Neo City Mom
    I also feel the same way as you.
    In fact, Yes, online, I am so crazy about them but like from where I am and what I do, no one would have guessed I am a fan girl. I have a profession and I think my co-workers would be dumbfounded to find out I'm a closet fan of kpop. My family and close friends knew, they despise kpop but I dont care. They understood me though.

I want it to be that way though. Kpop is known in my country, but I can say that people aren't too crazy about it. But sometimes when I see obvious kpop fanatics in the streets it sickens me. Yes, I follow kpop a lot and listen to their songs, but that's it. I dont make it to the point of dressing up they way they do and acting like the way my biases are. I also dont mind their career path, if they become successful, that's great, they deserve that. If they met some issues or disbanded, I would say, Oh, that's too bad. And that's it.

Yes, I dont want Kpop to be Americanized. I want it to stay true to its culture. Its so sad to see times and kpop changing.I am an old gen kpop, and I miss those times where I can say Kpop is not even kpop yet. For me, fans are so upsetting these days. Back then, I never cared about how many views suju get on youtube, I just listened or watched it if its nice and if its not then I wont. Yes, it was nice that they won some prestigious awards in the past, but I have never even participated in fan projects to help them vote or something to win. What I did was just to simply buy their tickets and albums and enjoy it on my own (I go to concerts alone and listen to their albums in my own free time) I never had a friend that was also a kpop fan, my best friends know my antics, they know I love Kpop but they hate it. Probably because they are also professionals like me and they have other things in mind and they are too civil for that. Yes, among my friends, I'm an oddball. But that's okay. When we hangout, I dont talk about Kpop but if I do, they'd understand that. For me, this is a bliss and so its really,..I dont know what words to describe my feeling of how kpop is changing these days *sighs* but in the end, I am still a fan girl 10 years back and until now.

pusheenie and emanresu like this.
  12. the_suddenlykfan

the_suddenlykfan Trendsetter

Currency:
    I know what you mean but, in case that Kpop could really make it big in the US (which I doubt) it wouldn't be THAT bad.

emanresu likes this.
  13. Faith_1299

Faith_1299 Trainee

Currency:
    I agree...it's bittersweet. It's nice seeing our faves receive attention but at the same time we want it to ourselves. I don't think it's necessary for a k-pop group or soloist to have an American debut.

emanresu likes this.
  14. IwilleatBomishit

Currency:
    Scoop turds for a living
    I honestly don't care if kpop becomes maimstream or remains where it is right now. I think it has somewhat become mainstream these days like ok that's fine with me. It's okay kpop doesn't have to break in to to mainstream music it can be it's own thing. And I don't know how well kpop will do in the west tbh there are some ignorant ass people. I don't want both cultures to clash the outcome would be pretty nasty idk lol. There's just so much drama in the western industry I don't think Koreans are ready for it.
    I want kpop to become more popular buy not lose its charms.

15. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Currency:
    Kpop is kind of hobby now that it isn't mainstream. Pop music in general is just music genre and artist you like, not actual hobby. So if kpop was mainstream it's status could change in eyes of fans.

Still I'd like to see kpop artist becoming more popular in the western side of world as well. I think there should be space for music for all around world not just same old artist and genres. I don't think kpop artist should try to change their imagos and waste time in the west trying to debut. Instead of that they should look for opportunities without sacrificing what they already do.

16. girl_group_lover

girl_group_lover Super Rookie

Currency:
    Girl, Kpop has BEEN mainstream since 2013, what are you on?
    The fact that there are so many international fans already tells you that kpop HAS already become a worldwide thing.

Fyla and emanresu like this.
  17. emanresu

emanresu Icon

Currency:
    Surprise! I'm a guy! :)

Yes I realize kpop has gained exposure worldwide.

But at least in the U.S. it is most definitely not mainstream. Some individuals here and there are familiar with it, but it's not exactly widespread.

I'm sure there's more exposure on the coasts, but here in middle America it's not that well known.

Psy is perhaps known by many, but that's pretty much the extent. Perhaps now BTS to some extent.

What I'm getting at is I don't really want it to become really exposed in the U.S. Like where you ask 100 people and 25 of them love kpop. Let's keep it at 1 in 100 shall we?!

:)

Lindy003 likes this.
  18. girl_group_lover

girl_group_lover Super Rookie

Currency:
    TBH I don;t mind if it became more recognized. I just hope Kpop agencies don't start catering too much to the western audience and completely ruin what originally was the essence to Kpop...which is creativity and the constant renewal of musical identity and or concepts. I don't want to listen to Kpop and only hear what's trendy in the U.S.

19. Elf_lover

Elf_lover Leader

Currency:
    Neither do I tbh, K pop has that unique sound that I don't get with mainstream. I would like it to stay the way it is. It's pretty much the only music I listen to nowadays.

20. Happylittlepunk

Currency:
    College student
    I don't want kpop idols to lose what makes them kpop but I would love for kpop to perform in American music shows and win awArds too here in the US I would also love for kpop idols to be able to do sold out arena and stadium shows here in the US and even promote kpop in the US without losing themselves

VIPFFORLIFe101 likes this.