NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

I don't get the obsession with

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by HardcoreBLINK, Jan 12, 2021 at 9:40 PM.

Tags:
  1. Minazuki

Minazuki Married to @Icaro_Ribeiro

Currency:
    Taylor Swift's #1 fangirl
    I'm weird
    For boygroups I like a varied discography
    For ggs I like when they keep their image and sound for multiple comebacks

HardcoreBLINK likes this.
  2. penepol

penepol Rookie

Currency:
    I was about to make a post saying I was getting on with you, and who’d’a thought!?.... :D

I’m sure some people might feel Dynamite to BS a bit jarring, if their first exposure to BTS was Dynamite. Proooobably though, new Dynamite Army then segued into LGO. Even Namjoon acknowledged that In itself was a risk.

But, tbh,BTS are at the point where they don’t need everyone to love their releases universally. I’m happier with the thought tjs they’re releasing what fulfils them musically.

nevermindmejin and HardcoreBLINK like this.
  3. Minazuki

Minazuki Married to @Icaro_Ribeiro

Currency:
    Taylor Swift's #1 fangirl
    GFRIEND is one of the girlgroups I love the most
    It took me MONTHS to accept they were changing their sound with Apple and I still dont like this song. I only accepted cause I loved Mago.

nevermindmejin likes this.
  4. amalyas

amalyas Rookie

Currency:
    This is probably a personal preference :whatr:I admit that I love when artists re-invent themselves again and again. Even among western artists, this is the reason Taylor Swift is my favorite. She made so many 180 in her image and her music, and always created new narratives.

Obviously I'm not asking any kpop group to be so dramatic, but if you want to sustain a long career, you have to change at some point. Or you're bound to disappear after a few years.

Edit : for BP, I do think LSG was a breath of fresh air after D4, KTL and HYLK and I think it was the right choice to make it the title track - keep the fans on their toes for the next move ! I guess they do switch things up a bit, but I agree that they always try to be consistent.

5. lemonblueberries

lemonblueberries Super Rookie

Currency:
    They perfected it but I still feel like every comeback is quite different... KTL was the one where they didn't change much from D4 and ironically that's my least favorite title song from them. I guess what I'm trying to say is even if the concept is the same, groups should explore different themes and sounds within that concept to keep it exciting? Like LSG was completely different than what they've released before but it's still girl crush.

However, in a few years they might want a more sophisticated concept and I think those kinds of changes are not only inevitable, but should be happening anyway.

hueningkaiskai likes this.
  6. AmmaAffa

AmmaAffa Idol

Currency:
    Same for me about groups that stick with one sound and genre mostly!

7. hueningkaiskai

hueningkaiskai Trainee

Currency:
    Idk
    as long as the music is good it doesnt bother me
    bts manages to change their sound and concept every comeback but there's not a single title i dislike with the exception of on but mots7 as a whole was amazing
    bp's concept is something im comfortable with
    i like their music and never really understood the all their songs sound the same narrative

8. Teudungi21

Teudungi21 Leader

Currency:
    you are weak and your line will fail

9. sheryllee3

sheryllee3 Public Figure

Currency:
    This is how I feel about Redvelvet. They really caught my attention with Bad Boy then they released something completely different. The only songs I really like from Redvelvet is their more r&b releases

10. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Elite

Currency:
    Well yes, one is a serious, narrative based hip hop song and one is light hearted disco pop song.
    I still find those terms vague; "dark" and "bright".
    Imo it doesn't really tell you all that much about how the song will be executed, or what the story and sound will be like.
    Colourful and flashy music videos get the highest views, I think there is a lot of focus on that these days.

11. miagoreng

miagoreng Newbie

Currency:
    Finally! I think I'm one of the few who raised their eyebrow every time someone mentioned a concept being the same as a diss, "and they don't change their concept" or "at least X,Y or Z have a variety of concept and can re invest themselves" like Ok I get if you start young and get older concepts mature or they just wanna try something different now and again but seriously if a group is sexy and I like it and get into them for a sexy concept why the hell would I want something different that is the beauty of Kpop there are so many groups I can like different groups for when I feel like listening to a different concept.

Funny people only do this with Kpop and not western artists... like damn Britney spit a few bars we sick of the pop music...

12. hatemail

hatemail Trendsetter

Currency:
    I need experimentation in atleast b-sides or I’m gonna get bored. The best part about bts is that I can(and have) thrown together playlists of numerous genres for which ever mood I’m in so if I’m feeling hyped there’s edm and other hardhitting songs. If I wat fun upbeat pop there’s that too, if I want sexy r&b there’s that, if I want chill and laid back there's a playlist there too led by 134340(an underappreciated bop), funky and upbeat? They have that, ballads/emotional? There’s a bunch of those and If I just wanna listen to some rap songs then they have those too. It means I can listen to more of their music because there’s so much variety from one artist.

I’m used to listening to full albums from western artist and I have the same mentality towards kpop so it doean’t bother me if the title track isn’t something I vibe with because it’s just one of several tracks to me. I don’t understand why alot of kpop fans treat title tracks as the only music the artist puts out during comebacks or the only one that counts.

AmmaAffa likes this.