Hyped makeup/skincare, Worth it?

Discussion in 'Fashion & Beauty' started by GukkieBun, Aug 19, 2018.

1. GukkieBun

GukkieBun GukLORYous ♡

Being soft
    Is there a makeup/skincare product you bought because it was hyped or had good reviews?

Do you think it lived up to the hype or not? Explain why.

Don't forget that all products will work differently on different skin types and results with vary depending on how you use it or what products you use it with so just because someone had a bad experience with a product, doesn't mean it won't work for you! Take any reviews here as guidance rather than 100% fact.

I personally own a few foundations that haven't really worked for me. I bought Born This Way by Too Faced, many reviews say it's good for oily skin and it looks really natural with full coverage. I have found that it's more of a medium coverage on my skin, maybe it just doesn't cover redness well but my acne always comes through. It also tends to cake up and get stuck in creases like my smile lines or in my forehead, sometimes before I even left the house. It also rubs off my nose really quickly and easily and sometimes there will even be little dots where my oils came through and just melted the foundation away.

Next is Pro Filt'r by Fenty Beauty. This foundation is famous online, especially among beauty vloggers because it apparently looks flawlessly smooth and has a nice matte finish and it does seem to on them, but on me, even with moisturiser underneath it looks really dry and suffers the same caking and creasing problem as Born This Way, but the dry look also exaggerates the look of my pores.

My personal favourite foundation of all time so far has been Double Lasting Foundation by Etude House. It has very good coverage, so good you don't have to go in for a second layer most of the time. The texture of the foundation is also really thin and lightweight despite being such good coverage. It lasts the longest out of all of my foundations and rarely ever creases, cakes, or gets patchy. The only downside to this foundation, like many Korean foundations, is the shade range. I'm well off as i'm pretty pale and the lightest shade matches me perfectly but I wouldn't recommend this foundation to people of darker skin. I really hope they come out with a wider shade range in the future so more people can try it as it's a really great foundation.

Next product is very well known, it is the Roller Lash mascara by Benefit. I have very short lashes and most mascaras, even when used after a lash curler, just doesn't do anything or it just ends up weighing my lashes down so the curling doesn't even do anything. The Roller Lash mascara is the only mascara i've ever tried EVER that curls my lashes without even needing a curler and doesn't weigh them down. The brush also helps seperate lashes evenly without creating too much of a spider lash on me and so you can achieve full, long, curly lashes without going overboard. This is a product that I would recommend to literally anyone who hasn't already found a mascara they have fallen in love with.

Eleia, eggyolks and LanaWhatever like this.
  2. Oh_Kill_Em

Oh_Kill_Em Icon

Basset hound cult leader
    There isn't really any hype for African black soap but I bought it because of the reviews and it works well for me

GukkieBun likes this.
  3. yuqismom

yuqismom Newbie

collector of anti's tears | yuqi's mom
    omg, my sister has like 20 bars of those things in her room and they smell so bad, I wouldn't even go near them

Oh_Kill_Em and GukkieBun like this.
  4. GukkieBun

GukkieBun GukLORYous ♡

Being soft
    I only just heard about them because one girl I follow on tumblr uses it sort of as a face mask because she washes her face then leaves it for 5 minutes lmao

Oh_Kill_Em likes this.
  5. Oh_Kill_Em

Oh_Kill_Em Icon

Basset hound cult leader
    LOL, idk what type of black soap your sister uses but I use Shea Moisture African Black Soap with shea butter and it smells nice

yuqismom and GukkieBun like this.
  6. ostrichbitch

ostrichbitch Newbie

7. Oh_Kill_Em

Oh_Kill_Em Icon

Basset hound cult leader
    Never tried it as a face mask but I will now ^^ I recommend the soap, it helps manage my acne especially with I get stress pimples

GukkieBun likes this.
  8. GukkieBun

GukkieBun GukLORYous ♡

Being soft
    Oof acne has always been my main problem as well as problems caused by acne like bad skin texture and scars so I will definitely try it out now aha :)

Oh_Kill_Em likes this.
  9. GukkieBun

GukkieBun GukLORYous ♡

Being soft
    Why ;-;

ostrichbitch likes this.
  10. bae

bae Super Rookie

can we keep more threads like this comin bc it helps so much

Golden_Wishes and GukkieBun like this.
  11. monke

monke Feline Villain

fenty beauty foundation works well for me, maybe since my skin is rather oily. and it lasts almost the whole day. haven't tried their other stuff though.
    i considered cosrx as rather hyped because i've seen it recommended by a lot of beauty vloggers. their products are rather hit and miss for me. i like their low-ph cleanser, birch sap moisturizer (both very lightweight), pimple pad (great for after cleansing), acne stickers (although you can find more economical alternatives) and honey night mask (skin really feel moisturized and soft in the morning). their snail mucin and blackhead liquid doesn't do much for me. the great thing is they're very affordable so it's not a big investment to try it out. although at the end of the day it turned out the game changer for me is the super affordable hadalabo gokujyun premium. i can really feel it affects my skin texture and considerably reduce breakouts.

for basic make up especially mascaras, i still feel japan made the best and most affordable. fairy drops and and majolica majorca mascaras worked best for me, Kate made the best affordable gel eyeliner and eyeshadow (limited basic colors though) and i recently fell in love with coffret d'or translucent powder. such smooth and luxurious finish for a drugstore brand.
    Aritaum make the best cream blusher. it's so cheap yet you only need a tiny dab for the color to show. i toss my stila after i got it. their eyeshadows are also great, although rather flimsy so i wouldn't recommend it to be carried around.

GukkieBun likes this.
  12. yuqismom

yuqismom Newbie

collector of anti's tears | yuqi's mom
    my sister uses the dudu osun african black soap, works for her and her face is free of pimples but I tried it once to see if it works and I broke out everywhere... traumatized for life

Oh_Kill_Em and GukkieBun like this.
  13. thirst2real

thirst2real Rookie

a thirsting mess
    I had gotten too faced's born this way foundation and i loved it!! but it is medium-to-full coverage so you would have to pack it on a bit(thats what i would do since i used to like caking up)

i know the peaches and cream collection from too faced would get hyped up, and I recently bought the peach perfect comfort matte foundation and i really really like it. I also tried Benefit's Hello Happy foundation and I really like how it feels. It's buildable if you want more coverage plus it comes in two sizes which i think is really cute.

One product that I see get hyped up alot but im like meh about is too faced's better than sex mascara. I got the small one bc i didnt wanna pay $21 for the full size and I wasnt really impressed. A friend recommended L'Oreal's lash paradise mascara which I later found out is supposed to be a dupe for bts and honestly I saw better results w the drugstore brand. So im recommending that mascara bc your lashes will look so pretty uwu

GukkieBun likes this.
  14. Oh_Kill_Em

Oh_Kill_Em Icon

Basset hound cult leader
    Yikes :confused: I've heard of Osun African soap, I know the ingredients are all natural. You probably had an allergic reaction to something

GukkieBun likes this.
  15. bibi87

bibi87 ⋰ ➴ ☼ Phoenix ☼ ➶ ⋱

Don't let me start with it. I came from a 1 week vacation from Seoul and I brought many skincare stuff.
    Almost all are unnecessary. lol

Korean skincare products that I tried and worked to me:

- Klairs supple preparation facial toner
    - Klairs midnight blue calming cream
    - Etude House all caring eraser pad
    - Skinfood royal honey propolis enrich essence
    - Missha time revolution first treatment essence
    - Missha time revolution night repair ampoule aka borabit
    - Benton fermentation eye cream
    - Berrisom collagen intensive firming essence
    - Heimish all clean balm
    - Cosrx bha blackhead power liquid
    - Cosrx good morning gel cleanser
    - Purito centella green level buffet serum
    - Laneige water sleeping mask
    - Laneige lip sleeping mask
    - Neogen bio peel
    - Secret key starting treatment essence
    - Secret key aloe soothing moist toner
    - Etude house put your hands up cottony deo tissue

End. lol

GukkieBun likes this.
  16. RWBYWeiss

RWBYWeiss Rookie

I've tried all over the conter acne stuff and none of them work.

So far diet and kihels has helped my skin a lot

GukkieBun likes this.
  17. nubtsvt

nubtsvt Trainee

SVT Energy skin care marketer
    the St. Ives apricot scrub I see all over instagram now is actually quite good, especially for oily skin since it can be quite intense but it also feels nice.
    The neutrogena water gel moisturizer is really good for oily skin, it doesn't sit on your face for long and just feels refreshing and soft

GukkieBun likes this.
  18. mayaknows

mayaknows Trainee

Cetaphil does NOT work for me. Oh my god that shit broke me tf out, and I have sensitive skin (I used the sensitive bottle lol). Lush is working okay for me right now
    I like Rihanna's foundation but i'm still into BB creams. Nothing wrong with the product, foundation is just too heavy for me.

GukkieBun likes this.
  19. GukkieBun

GukkieBun GukLORYous ♡

Being soft
    If anyone can't already tell by this thread, i'm a big fan of AHA/BHA exfoliators lmao

20. GukkieBun

GukkieBun GukLORYous ♡

Being soft
    So I have Estee Lauder's famous Double Wear foundation and I also have 2 of it's Korean dupes so I thought I'd do a little comparison.

So I have Etude House's Double lasting foundation and A'Pieu's Triple Wear foundation. Like Double Wear, they both have outstanding coverage, if you're looking for coverage then this is something all 3 foundations excel in. I have found that Triple Wear has slightly less coverage on spots as it's the thinnest most watery formula out of the 3 (although they're all very watery compared to the vast majority of foundations). I think Double Wear and Double Lasting are almost identical when it comes to coverage at least on my skin.

Triple Wear is the foundation that goes on the smoothest, and it barely creases at all which is a problem I have with literally every foundation i've owned. Double Wear is so dry that it almost sinks into pores and it doesn't crease too much but since it's so dry it exaggerates the creases by making them look dry and shriveled. Double Lasting is a funny one because it looks smooth when it goes on and then a few hours later its pretty creased (but not as severe as Double Wear) and then a few more hours and it's smoothened out again after it mixes with what ever oils were on your face. Basically it deteriorates quickly but it doesn't deteriorate too much and after a certain time it stops completely and just looks perfect for the rest of the day.

The most comfortable foundation to wear is Double Lasting. It's not the lightest feeling of all of them but it still moves with your face. Triple Wear feels the lightest of all of them but since it's a little dry it feels a little like a mask. Double Wear is the worst feeling foundation i've ever worn. Even for my very oily skin, it's just so dry that it feels as if you're wearing a peel off mask, but you're wearing it the entire day and by the end of the day you're so sick of it you'd rather not have a face.

To be honest the only thing Double Wear beats the others in is shade range. Of course Double Lasting and Triple Wear are both Korean foundations and those aren't exactly known for having a diverse shade range. Triple Wear comes in 5 shades which covers all the general shades Korean foundations come in and Double Lasting actually expanded on their colour range so they went from 5 shades to 12! They also improved their existing shades. I was shade Pure (the lightest) which was incredibly pink and that's been replaced by Rosy Pure which is a cool tone but a skin colour none the less. I'll attach a comparison photo in the spoiler (my own photo lol). Although Etude House took a step in the right direction by adding two darker shades to their range, Double Wear wins with a whole 59 shades (that I counted) in the range. Double Wear also wins in terms that it provides shades for those with darker skin whereas the Korean dupes can only be used for people with pale to tanned skin.
    44029883_241398233197812_6274394422805266432_n.jpg
    Left is the old shade and right is the new shade

Now there's one more unique thing I want to address about Estee Lauder's Double Wear, and it's the fact that the formula seems to be so dry you cannot layer any more liquid or cream products on top of it without the foundation getting dissolved and removed slightly making it patchy. You can't even layer itself on top of it without this thing happening. It's got great coverage but on those days where you need a little more than great, you can't even build it, it's a very strange formula.

Finally, in terms of price, Triple Wear wins by far. Triple Wear is £12.72 for 35mls or for comparison as the others are 30ml, it's £10.90 per 30mls. Double Lasting comes up to £15.92 for 30mls which is just under where I would draw the line for affordable foundations. Double Wear however is £33.50 for 30mls which is quite expensive, especially considering the cheaper dupes actually do a bit of a better job at what Double Wear is trying to do.

Overall, as long as they come in your shade, don't bother with Estee Lauder's Double Wear and go straight to A'pieu's Triple Wear or Etude House's Double Lasting foundations. They're more affordable and do a much better job!

#20 GukkieBun, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018