How would you rank the members of your favorite groups or soloists in terms of vocals

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by YujaJinsoo, Aug 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. YujaJinsoo

YujaJinsoo Rookie

Eating
    • You can put more than one group
    • The ranks are SS ,S , A , B , C , D , F
      Each rank has its own preference
      SS : Queen or King
      S : Excellent
      A : Great
      B : Good ( Above average )
      C : Average
      D : Below average
      F : Weak , needs improvement
    • ?? is a refer that the idol doesn't sing , only rap
    • You can add (+) or (-) to make it more clear or if the idol is slightly better or weaker than the rank ..
    For me :)
    BlackPink
    Rose : D
    Jisoo : F+
    Jennie : F
    Lisa : F
    RedVelvet
    Wendy : A+
    Seulgi : C
    Joy : D+
    Yeri : F
    Irene : F
    CLC
    Seunghee : B
    Elkie : D-
    Sorn : D-
    Seungyeon : F+
    Yujin : F
    Eunbin : F
    Yeeun : F
    Mamamoo
    Solar : A
    Wheein : A
    Hwasa : A-
    Moonbyul : F
    EXID
    Solji : A
    Hyelin : C
    Hani : C-
    Jeonghwa : F
    L.E : ??
    APINK
    Eunji : S-
    Namjoo : D+
    Bomi : D
    Hayoung : F+
    Naeun : F
    Chorong : F
    Girls Generation
    Taeyeon : A+
    Seohyun : B
    Jessica : B
    Tiffany : C
    Sunny : C
    Yuri : D
    Sooyoung : D-
    Hyoyeon : F
    Yoona : F
    GFRIEND
    Yuju : A
    Eunha : C-
    Sinb : D+
    Yerin : D+
    Umji : F
    Sowon : F
    Dreamcatcher
    Siyeon : A-
    Yoohyeon : C
    Jiu : C-
    Sua : D+
    Handong : D
    Gahyeon : D-
    Dami : F
    (G)I-DLE

Miyeon : D+
    Minnie : D
    Yuqi : F+
    Soojin : F
    Soyeon : F
    Shuhua : F

BTS
    Jungkook : D+
    Jin: D
    V: D
    Jimin : F+
    J-hope : F
    RM : F- ( He sang in 4 o Clock )
    Suga : ???
    Davichi
    Haeri : S+
    Minkyung : A-

SOLOISTS
    Sohyang : SS+
    She is the QUEEN of vocalists , here's some video to this wonderful lady with an angelic voice

Ailee : S+

Lee Hi : A

NOTE : Please , respect each other opinion , and if you have any reply to someone , reply with respect , Thank you

#1 YujaJinsoo, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    cynkdf, Ishiguro, Zuko1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Solarsido

Solarsido ⋆⋱✵Sparkle✵⋰⋆

Moonbyul should be C/D

YujaJinsoo likes this.
  3. YujaJinsoo

YujaJinsoo Rookie

Eating
    Tbh , i would put her F+ , since she has the potiental to be great , but since she is a rapper , her focus is more on rapping , not singing , thats why i put her F , but for C , i really cant put her there , even D ( maybe D-) Moonbyul is weak vocally , but really skilled in rapping , we must expect that most of the rappers are weak vocally , since they focus on rapping , not vocals the most

#3 YujaJinsoo, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. jiahua

jiahua Trainee

wendy’s wife
    Red Velvet
    Wendy: SS
    Seulgi: S
    Joy: A
    Irene: B
    Yeri: D

IZONE
    Yuri: S
    Yena: A
    Chaewon: A
    Chaeyeon: B+
    Eunbi: B+
    Nako: B-
    Hyewon: F
    Minju: D
    Hitomi: D
    Sakura: F
    Wonyoung: C
    Yujin: B-

StepOut, Hello1409 and YujaJinsoo like this.
  5. Menean

Menean Celebrity

6. Hallybell

Hallybell Idol

Apink :

Eunji : A
    Namjoo/Bomi : B-
    Hayoung : D
    Naeun/Chorong : F

Zuko1 and YujaJinsoo like this.
  7. YujaJinsoo

YujaJinsoo Rookie

Eating
    sry which group do u really mean
    S
    S
    A
    B
    ????

8. Menean

Menean Celebrity

9. YujaJinsoo

YujaJinsoo Rookie

Eating
  10. NBW

NBW Super Rookie

Kpop addict (needs help)
    WJSN

Yeonjung: SS
    Dawon: S
    Soobin: A-
    Dayoung and Seola: B
    Mei Qi: C-
    Bona: D+
    Xuan Yi and Eunseo: F+
    Cheng Xiao, Luda and Yeoreum: F-

Exy sings sometimes, but I don't know what rank to give her

I'll do one more group

Dreamcatcher

Siyeon: SS
    Yoohyeon: S
    JiU and SuA: B
    Handong: D
    Gahyeon: F+

Dami is the same situation

edit: but if you are giving SS to just SoHyang type of vocal skill I probably would need to change how I did it lol

SailorMarsfires and YujaJinsoo like this.
  11. YujaJinsoo

YujaJinsoo Rookie

Eating
    XD , You can give any rank you want , but im so picky picky picky picky XD , if imnt like that , i would give sohyang SSSS++++ , and about yeonjung , ugh , this girl got the voice , even if i dont listen to wjsn , but i listened to yeonjung alot , also , i listened to dawon's and soobin's voices, they are great

NBW likes this.
  12. Angela_Cao

Angela_Cao Super Rookie

College Student & V & MAMAMOO manager-in-training
    TAExas (Winter Bear, Let's Break Up with the TWIT)
    MAMAMOO:
    Wheein: B+
    Solar: B+
    Hwasa: B
    Moonbyul: D+

ONEUS and ONEWE are relatively new, so I won’t evaluate them

NCT: (there’s too many of them so I’ll do the top three)
    Taeil: B-
    Jaehyun: C
    Doyoung: C
    Other vocalists are probably around D+ to D range I think and rapper-vocalists are probably around F+ to F range

Other groups:
    BTS:
    V: D+ (at BEST condition; he might or might not have regressed a bit)
    Jungkook: D+
    Jimin: F+ (maybe same or little more at BEST condition lol)
    Jin: F
    JHope: F
    RM: F-
    Suga: F-

BlackPink:
    Rose: D+ (at BEST condition)
    Jennie: F+
    Jisoo: F
    Lisa: F-

Red Velvet:
    Wendy: A
    Seulgi: C
    Joy: D+
    Irene: F
    Yeri: F-

EXO:
    Chen: A+
    DO: A
    Baekhyun: A-
    Suho: D/D+
    Xiumin: D
    Chanyeol: F+
    Kai: F
    Sehun: F-

TWICE:
    Jihyo: C+
    Jeongyeon: C-
    Naeyeon: D+
    Mina: F
    Sana: F
    Tzuyu: F
    Dahyun: F-
    Chaeyoung: F-
    Momo: F- (but used to be D/D+ in her peak; JYP destroyed her vocals :()

#12 Angela_Cao, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  13. positivityiskeyy

IDLE (for now) :
    - Miyeon : C+
    - Minnie : C-
    - Soojin : D
    - Yuqi : D -
    - Soyeon : D-
    - Shuhua : F

I'm not 100% sure for bts yet :/

YujaJinsoo likes this.
  14. Theo35

Theo35 Celebrity

if taeyeon = S and idol that not a vocalist = F
    Irene = D
    Yeri = D (both irene and yeri can harmonize and not only between members, if they train their high note too... girl)
    Joy = C+
    Seulgi = B+
    Wendy = S (theres only tiny gap between taeyeon and wendy)

StepOut and YujaJinsoo like this.
  15. YujaJinsoo

YujaJinsoo Rookie

Eating
    WOW , you are so close to my mind
    but if you want my opinion
    i would say chaeyoung and mina F+ ( have you ever heard chaeyoung vocals )
    Jin and V are in the same Rank , and jungkook is slightly better than them, idk , but i feel that what makes jimin weak , is that his technique isnt great , his support to the high notes overall is damaged tbh , he isnt that stable in stationary
    Jisoo seems to be more stable than Jennie , and overall , i guess she has better technique ( because she maybe was focused more in vocals in her trainee days more than jennie , while jennie focused more in rapping i guess )
    other than that are just perfect ( just different ranks than me )

16. YujaJinsoo

YujaJinsoo Rookie

Eating
    I AGREEEEE , tbh , Red velvet just needs yeri and irene to improve more , and i think they will be over girls generation in terms of vocals ( as a group )

Theo35 likes this.
  17. Angela_Cao

Angela_Cao Super Rookie

College Student & V & MAMAMOO manager-in-training
    TAExas (Winter Bear, Let's Break Up with the TWIT)
    Ah cool! Since you provided your opinion, I can also provide my own as well (as someone who has studied a bit of vocal technique (I’m not an expert yet, but I’ve listened to these groups as a casual listener relatively enough to know their own flaws (especially BTS) and I’ve checked this with a few acquaintances who know more than I do to make sure what I have is correct) and a casual listener to these groups above), but I feel like putting everything under spoilers because I don’t want to turn this thread into an unnecessary technique rant.

There’s actually a significant gap between V and Jin in terms of vocals, but the problem is, V can be inconsistent (and I think it’s a similar problem for Rose of BLACKPINK): with the right song (like his solo songs for instance) AND the right day, he’ll be fine and an additional problem is that V is of a different and lower vocal fach from the rest of the vocalists and stuck singing songs that are too naturally high for his own good (Boy with Luv was such in an awkward range for him for instance). Jin is pretty consistent live, but what separates him from V is that Jin has NOT demonstrated actual breath support of any kind yet (well, none of them have demonstrated proper breath support yet and all of them strain above Eb4/E4 (V as a baritone strains above C4/C#4 and maybe C#4/D4 at his peak around late 2016-mid-late 2018 or when he’s at a very good condition, which has been pretty rare these days)): he sings with a tight and closed throat which results in throat and physical tension (neck for instance) and excessive nasality from producing the sound through the nose and instead of letting the sound out with the correct (and relaxed) muscles, he forces or pushes the sound out (physical exertion) instead (even within his tessitura). For V, out of all BTS vocalists, he demonstrates the best sense of breath support albeit shallow at best and he’s the most relaxed within his supported range when he’s not succumbed to his bad vocal habits and can slightly support higher than Jungkook taking in consideration of their differing voice types (imagine transposing BTS’s songs to a range that V is comfortable in and you can hear the slight difference between him and Jungkook); he suffers from a lowered larynx and tongue tension and lack of forward placement due to his bad habits of opening the back of his throat too much and pushing the tongue back towards the back of his throat to achieve his signature deep sound that he’s know for...and he’s airy as well. Also, I thought that V could pass in as a C- at one point of his career (late 2016-mid-late 2018), but not too sure as I don’t want to sound too biased or overhype his skills too much. As for Jimin, he’s really inconsistent, more-so than V, and while people tend to think he’s worse than the rest of BTS vocalists, he’s actually more open and relaxed than Jin and it may not sound like he actually supports, but it’s there, just way more inconsistent, more shallow, and narrower in range than V and Jungkook. He used to suffer from tongue tension early in debut, but not much so anymore-his issues lie within throatiness due to having a tight throat and very poor breath support and lack of confidence (V does too) which roots in his inconsistency. For Jungkook, he suffers from poor breath support due to airiness (he’s not as breathy anymore and his projection in his lower range improved but his sound is still not fully connected) due to his stylistic choices and neglect of diagraphmic breathing mechanisms and above his supported range, suffers from similar issues to an extent as Jin does throughout his entire range and his mixed register is underdeveloped AF (V’s mixed register is okay, but I think it regressed a bit due to his bad habits). Good things about BTS vocalists are that they can transition into falsetto relatively well as a whole, Jungkook can perform vocal runs pretty well (his agility improved recently) and has a good sense of control over his voice (smart vocalist); V, as I said before, is the most relaxed out of all BTS vocalists within his supported range when not succumbed to his bad habits and his mixing technique is relatively developed well for his own overall development; Jin has a level of clarity that even highly developed vocalists can’t achieve and his sense of pitch has improved quite recently, and Jimin, while inconsistent, has a relatively agile voice (vocal runs, difficult vocal melodies, etc.) and like Jin, his sense of pitch has improved as well.
    Also, as I was a fan of them a bit over a year but have these acquaintances who still keep up with them, my analysis, out of all groups that are not among my faves, will be more longer and accurate (though not 100% accurate) than the rest. Also, stability and high notes aren’t everything and don’t have to do anything with good vocal technique (well maybe for high notes if they demonstrate proper support like Wendy for instance, then yes). Also, I wish BTS would give songs that would let V’s natural lyric baritone shine for once without having him straining his ass off the next moment. Also, hope I don’t sound like a hater or akgae of a certain member, but fans tend to put too much faith or overemphasize Jungkook’s vocal abilities way too much noah fence or anything.
    Overall, it’s V >= Jungkook > Jimin >= Jin (also considering V’s and Jimin’s inconsistencies as well). Also none have improved throughout the years despite popular opinion (V might or might not have regressed).

As for Mina, I’m not too sure about her voice type tbh but there’s two possibilities that she is either a mezzo forced to sing like a light lyric soprano like BTS V as a lyric baritone forced to sing as a tenor or a soprano with very underdeveloped muscles with similar habits/flaws as BlackPink Jisoo, so the question is, is she more comfortable within a lower range compared to TWICE’s vocalists and does she transition earlier than the rest as well which can determine where she’s at, and Chaeyoung, since she was trained to be a rapper, probably does not demonstrate any form of breath support in her singing at all as she was probably not trained to and if she was, probably that half-air, half-sound technique that JYP vocalists are known to have but in the extreme and most likely her singing would sound more like half-talking for the most part (like most KPOP rappers I’ve listened to). For Momo, she was way better during Seventeen (and I believe that she’s a mezzo forced to sing as a light lyric soprano), but as I said, JYP destroyed her vocals. :( So far, the only TWICE vocalists who actually demonstrate some form of breath support from what I can hear are Jihyo (excessive nasality (nasality isn’t necessarily a bad thing though but can be limiting) due to bad placement, and strains (throat tension due to closed throat) above B4-all the high notes I’ve heard from her which she is well known for are all or mostly strained), Jeongyeon (chestiness), and Naeyeon (airiness as a result of poor breath support due to JYP half-air, half-sound technique. Jihyo’s voice is the most connected in tone production and she has the best mixed register out of all TWICE’s vocalists. Jihyo and Jeongyeon are the most developed in the lower register out of all TWICE vocalists. For the rest of TWICE vocalists, they all suffer from excessive airiness due to the half-air, half-sound technique they’re very well known for. However, all of them are pretty consistent live from what I can hear so far, and I love Jihyo’s and Tzuyu’s vocal tones the most from the group, and Jihyo has my most favorite voice of the group. Also, keep in mind that not all of my analysis is correct (so less in accuracy than BTS) and based on the few times I’ve listened to TWICE as a group.
    So overall, according to my analysis and few observations, Jihyo > Jeongyeon > Naeyeon >> Mina > Sana/Tzuyu > Dahyun/Chaeyoung > Momo.

I think the gap between Jennie and Jisoo and considering their comparison in general is similar to BTS Jimin and Jin and vocal ability-wise, they’re probably the same too: Jennie to Jimin and Jisoo to Jin (Rose is about V/Jungkook level so I don’t see any sense of ranking Rose as a D while Jungkook is a D+). Also, I think Jennie can be inconsistent as well (same for Rose) while Jisoo is the most consistent of all BLACKPINK vocalists from what I can hear. However, overall, Jisoo suffers from major breathing/breath control issues and has not demonstrated any form of breath support just yet and while she has a relatively deep voice, she’s actually a soprano with very underdeveloped muscles: sings from the throat and tends to place the sound at the back of her throat or through or at the nose (so similar habits/flaws as BTS Jin and at one point, I thought she had similar habits/flaws to BTS Jin and maybe I’m right more or less but their voices are way different-Jin is more thin in quality in comparison but he also suffers from major breath control issues as well). Her cover of “Clarity” wasn’t good at all-she was pretty tight throughout and even straining in notes that she would be comfortable in (starts straining around Bb4 which is pretty low for a soprano but even the rest was unsupported and stuffy/tight throughout). Jennie is like Jimin I think-she might not sound like she’s supporting at all due to her “shouty singing” to achieve power but it’s there, just way more shallow, more narrower, and more inconsistent than Rose in comparison. She suffers from excessive chestiness and throatiness (her “shouty” singing) just like Jimin as well. For Rose, I think she suffers similarly like BTS V as well-singing higher than comfortable, inconsistent live, and bad vocal habits as stylistic choices to achieve her signature unique voice that she is well know for. She suffers from excessive nasality (again, not necessarily a bad thing (there are more proficient vocalists (Jessica, Wheein and Wendy (when they’re being careless), Minzy, Miley Cyrus, and Ally Brooke) who are also nasal as well but not a huge issue though in comparison) but limiting in development) and bad vocal habits. Also, with an acquaintance of mine, we were listening to her pre-debut song with GDragon and I think she was better or sounded more natural pre-debut (sounded similarly (though not exact) to RV Joy) one or the other-I’m not too sure. For Lisa, she’s like other vocalist-rappers, sing-talk with no support at all. All of them strain above A4/Bb4. However, all of them have beautiful and unique vocal tones (way to go YG), especially Rose and Jisoo as my favorites, and Rose has the best sense of breath support of all BLACKPINK albeit shallow at best and pitch of the group. This is based on the few times that I’ve listened to BLACKPINK and probably way more inaccurate and imprecise than BTS who I listen way more obviously out of all my non-fav groups but again, I was never a fan of BLACKPINK but listened to them a few times though. However overall,
    Rose > Jennie >= Jisoo > Lisa.

As for MAMAMOO, my ult. group, I think I’m probably the harshest in grading them out of everybody else and while they’re good, to achieve an “A” grading, they need to improve on their resonance (or their approach to achieving it) by balancing their mixed voices more (they’re pretty chest-dominant from what I can hear).

American favorites:
    One Direction:
    Liam Payne: A-
    Zayn Malik: C-
    Harry Styles: D+ (he was C- at his peak)
    Niall Horan: D+
    Louis Tomlinson: F+

Fifth Harmony:
    Ally Brooke Hernandez: B+
    Dinah Jane Hansen: B-
    Camila Cabello: D+
    Lauren Jauregui: D+ (she was B- at her peak)
    Normani Kordei-Hamilton: F+ (great performer though!)

Jonas Brothers:
    Joe Jonas: F+
    Nick Jonas: F
    Kevin Jonas: F-

Little Mix:
    Perrie Edwards: B (at her peak, she was A-/B+)
    Jade Thirlwall: C+
    Jesy Nelson: C+
    Leigh-Anne Pinnock: ???

#17 Angela_Cao, Aug 24, 2019
    LovenRose and KA1230 like this.
  18. YujaJinsoo

YujaJinsoo Rookie

Eating
    i totally think you are right , but let me put some points you know
    • i think high notes are important ( if u sing them ) , and to be honest , i think jin and jungkook has the best the support out all of BTS members , as i can see , BTS does have high notes , so its important thing , but imnt gonna actually argue with you about anything else , because i think you know more than me about vocals , but i really think jin still has the same level as V , V vocal range isnt support at all , i hope that wont destroy his vocal chords later
    • for Twice , i think i can analyze chaeyoung and mina for you , just to prove my point , ( btw , itsnt fully my own analyze , i had it from someone i really trust ( a youtube channel ) )
    Mina :
    Weaknesses :
    • Has a weak/frail voice , her vocal projection while singing seems to be lacking
    • her consistency is off
    • she usually seems to be out of tune ( Flat )
    • her vocal placement is too uniform , since she often sings in falsetto
    • i think she is not that confident when singing
    Strong points
    + has a good breath support
    + has a good range
    + nice emotions
    + she has a good tone and rhythm
    + she seems to sing ballad smoothly from little to not difficulty ( disregarding the parts that require singing high )
    + her lower range is well off and her high range is averge

Chaeyoung :

Weakness :
    + she has a poor placement in her upper register , when singing high , she doesnt strain because she is consistently singing in falsetto
    + recently , chaeyoung has been very inconsistent with many tuning issues , he voice has start to become more nasal , making her clogged and stuffy in the nose area

Strong points :
    + Chaeyoung has good vocal projection and versatility
    + she is able to sing and rap low with a forward /powerful voice
    + her singing technique is about averagely developed
    + her emotions in slow songs and ballads are portrayed well
    + since she did study music and can song write , chaeyoung has good musicality and rhythm
    + her rone is full and rich

Thats for twice

about the reason why i put Rose D and jungkook D+ , she isnt stable as him , also , i think when someone fakes his tone , that will make him more far to get better , i guess for me its about her tone and stability , thats why i put her in D while jungkook in D+

19. boringgirl

boringgirl Celebrity

Produce Trash
    This grading reminds me of the PD101 grading but only for vocals and the grading is from A to F

Okay for AB6IX
    Daehwi: A-
    Woojin: F (he raps but in some songs I’ve heard him sing)
    Woong: A
    Donghyun: B
    Youngmin: C

EXO
    Baekhyun: A-
    Kyungsoo: A
    Jongdae: A+
    Kai: C
    Lay: B+
    Sehun: F (he’s only sang like once or twice in like 2 songs)
    Minseok: B
    Suho: C
    Chanyeol: B

#19 boringgirl, Aug 24, 2019
  20. harambeisalive

harambeisalive Trainee

Taeyeon: SS
    Seohyun: S
    Tiffany: A
    Sunny: A
    Yuri: B