Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

how is jyp bigger than SM ...???

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Indhys, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
?

??what do you think?is jyp bigger than sm now?

1. yes,,stock market>>>Revenue

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. no,Reveune>>>stock market

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  1. Indhys

Indhys Newbie

what is stock market anyway? sm made 360m in revenue in the firt half of 2018
    buut jyp is at 170m in revenue!! so what is this

is stock market better than company revenue??

2. SeulgisAbs

SeulgisAbs Idol

I dunno honestly. all I know is SM has a negative profit

3. Taeri

Taeri Influential

Idc lmao
    Not like they are paying my tuition

Jisoochicken16 and sonemariam like this.
  4. AnotherKpopTrash

AnotherKpopTrash Public Figure

For background, the recent story about JYP being bigger (more valuable) than SM recently has to do with Market Capitalization.
    Market Capitalization is just one way to perform a valuation on a company. (It's just the total values of the company's shares on the stock market). So it can be used as a metric that people use to measure how valuable a company is financially.

Revenue, on the other hand, just has to do with how much money a company brings in (from sales, deals, etc) in a certain time period and does not take expenses into account. All in all, it's not a good way to measure the value of a company because it only accounts for activities in a certain time period. And even if the company has a lot of revenue, if the expenses exceed the revenue, the company would be losing income and value.

That being said, although market capitalization does in essence take into account all the activities since the company went public. Market capitalization is not the best way to evaluate a company either, since the stock market is quite volatile, meaning the perceived value of the company will change drastically on the regular.

Jisoochicken16 and mxtchx like this.
  5. ketchUp

ketchUp Public Figure

Profit>>>>>

sonemariam likes this.
  6. SooYoung

SooYoung Icon

Prophet of the Sone and fromis_9 religion !!!
    [2018 1st Half Revenue]

SM $303M, YG $187M, JYP $105M

TVXQ $188M (TVXQ 63% SM 37%)

JYP is far from be the bigger agency x)))
    he can't even beat TVXQ in term of revenu

so people who think that JYP is bigger than SM are just a bunch of delulu people

#6 SooYoung, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    sonemariam likes this.
  7. sonemariam

sonemariam Trendsetter

Not sure but SM is very big that only TVXQ can make more than what JYP makes.

Profit is more important and I think both companies are making a lot of profit.

8. aylabkeypap4ebs

People are saying SM is just earning so much because of TVXQ but what about JYP? I dont think they will survive without Twice who's like the 90% of JYP's profit. Atleast SM have a ton more artist they can rely on, EXO, SNSD, Suju, Shinee, Boa, RV and NCT is starting to get on track while JYP only has TWICE and GOT7, Stray kids is still getting there

9. Key_the_VIP

None of the above. Profit is what's important. Revenue only tells us how much a company brings in. It doesn't tell us how much they spent. If I remember correctly, SM brought in the most money but received the least profit because they also spent so much that they were in the negative.

10. staindz

staindz Rookie

"It depends"

Market Capitalization is more like "vote of confidence". When your company is doing good, more people invest on the company by buying your stock, thus increasing your market cap, and you receive more money to do your business.

Traditionally, whether a company is big or small is determined by the valuation of their asset. In this case, at 948B KRW, SME is much, much bigger than JYPE who is the smallest of the big 3, at 133B KRW.

But asset does not paint the whole picture. For example, SM booked 124B KRW in sales for Q2 2018, but only reported 5B KRW as a profit, while JYP's sales and profit as of Q2 2018 32B and 7B respectively. That's an incredible 23% profit from sales.

So is JYPE bigger than SME? Not exactly. the key word for this is "reported". SME might report smaller profit because they decided to invest back a big portion of their earning, or pay debts or expenses. It's a matter of business decision

So, as I said. "It depends"

AnotherKpopTrash likes this.
  11. Jisoochicken16

Chikin
    that explains a loto_O

AnotherKpopTrash likes this.
  12. crowboy

crowboy Trendsetter

!@@
    no, people are saying that the revenue brought in by TVXQ alone is equivalent to JYP's entire revenue (apparently), not that SM wouldn't survive without TVXQ

but anyway, JYP was part of the big 3 and was doing just fine before Twice so I think they would be fine is for some reason Twice suddenly fell off the face of the earth (lol hopefully they don't but i'm just saying you know)