How do I improve faster in League of Legends?

Discussion in 'Video Games & Tech' started by penny_q, Apr 21, 2020.

1. penny_q

penny_q Newbie

Currency:
    How do I improve faster in League of Legends?

Crippy and zanded like this.
  2. otterjae

otterjae Ars longa, vita brevis

Currency:
    Crying over ArsxCoco
    Practice playing ADC. The mechanics to protect yourself and farm are super important. Being able to play all roles well is key though so make sure you do your best to have about 3-4 champs you can play in all areas! :)

3. zanded

zanded Public Figure

Currency:
    Depends on where you're at, you should approach the game in stages as there's an infinite amount of things to improve at.

If you're a beginner, your focus should be on gathering basic game knowledge. Learn what each champ does, items, the map, etc...

If you're towards the lower end of the ranked spectrum (Iron-Silver) then it's about basics. Improve at CSing (practice tool can be great for this) and start applying your mind to the game. Think about whether or not a play is smart, ward brushes and focus on how to win the game rather than make big plays or have fun. These are very common errors in lower elo, if you have the basic game knowledge then it should be easy to climb if you truly apply your mind to the game and play to win. Naturally, you should have a few (2-4) champions you're very familiar with and can comfortably play to climb effectively.

Middle pack of the ranked spectrum (gold-plat) I'd say the most common mistakes I see are map awareness and a lack of roaming. At this point, everyone has the very basics down and has game knowledge. Now you need to apply your mind to the map. What I mean by this is start thinking bigger than your own lane as that should be natural to you by now. It is crucial to impact all lanes and control the pace of the game. Become more aware of little timings such as people's recalls, when you've last spotted the enemy jungler and react to all the information accordingly. Do not take unnecessary risks just because it's not guaranteed you'll get ganked, this is such a common mistake in these elos.

I can't give advice as to how to improve beyond Diamond as my personal peak last season was only D3. In my opinion, the key aspect to climbing in League is active thinking. You'd be surprised how many people intentionally ignore information they have on the map and take unnecessary risk because it's more fun or they can't be bothered. Once you have the basic info and truly want to climb, you can do it if you get your gears grinding.

#3 zanded, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Cold_Wave likes this.
  4. igloo

igloo Married to @IQYZS

Currency:
    awaiting
    play annie and think critically about everything
    why are you here
    what do you want to achieve your teammates your enemies etc.
    if you can do that and start to understand the game you'll climb
    playing simple champs means you don't have to think about the details of your champ too much
    so you can focus on learning the actual game

5. Cold_Wave

Cold_Wave Super Rookie

Currency:
    just play aram and dodge if you get a bad team. only buy the good champs so your chances are better

#5 Cold_Wave, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  6. bakko23 Trainee

Currency:
    since you already got mechanical advise i would also suggest to just watch a lot of LCS/LEC or whatever your regional professional league is.. really helps to understand the keypoints to really win a game! (OBJECTIIVES!! xD)

7. ChoIzanami

ChoIzanami Trainee

Currency:
    Extensive K-Pop consumer
    I am not a really good player myself, but I have a small group that I play with and one of them is not only a good player but also a great shotcaller. We usually talk in Discord when we play together and I get great feedback from him. Of course I am not a regular player and there is only one role I am ok at, but he gives very straight commands that make it easy for me to learn how to react to certain situations and also how to be aware of stuff. I have improved a lot since playing with him. Not only in playing in direct fights or during laning phase, but also in terms of Map Awareness and iTem Builds. So ask for advice and feedback. And remember that mistakes make us learn the best. So don't be afraid of making them.
    I only play one role and I'm also focussing on one champion right now, because learning a new champ, a new role and train in Map Awareness and general skill is really hard for me. I also love to test out champions in an All Bot game first, before I decide to buy and play them.
    So watching others is really helpfull. I also sometimes watch Worlds or Qualifiers, not only to find out more about the champ I like, but also to learn what other champions are played at the moment and what they can do.
    But I think the most important thing is: Play. Just play and don't get too worked up about your permormance. Sure, some games make you wanna rage quit, but if you don't play a lot or have only recently started, not beeing a super player is completely normal. It takes time, patience and effort. Find a role and a champion that you enjoy a lot. I was gifted an extremely funny skin for my favorite champ and even losing can be really fun with it. Don't play, when you're already really worked up and angry, because you will struggle to learn when your brain is busy being annoyed.
    Have a lot of fun with it and Good Luck ^^