How Did You Get Into Kpop?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by emanresu, Sep 3, 2017.

1. All_Star

All_Star Super Rookie

Currency:
    not sure,may be.

emanresu likes this.
  2. gelaaa

gelaaa Super Rookie

Currency:
    It was because of SHINee's Hello. Jonghyun looked hot and sounded super good and 11 year old me fell in love

emanresu likes this.
  3. Yuki_the_dog

Yuki_the_dog Trainee

Currency:
    My timeline is pretty weird
    200?: I was introduced to Kpop by way of my cousin(aka girls generation) and fell in love with them. I even got an album(I still have it btw)
    2010: I was introduced to Kdramas thanks to my local tv station and my family
    2011: Guess who was obsessed with The Boys
    Also 2011: I started watching variety shows/Running Man.
    2012:Casual listener of Kpop
    2013-2015: Still very casual listener to Kpop, gradual increase of variety shows
    2016: Watches AKMU's Weekly Idol episode and falls, hook line and sinker
    2016 still: Watches Astro on Weekly Idol, and for tge very first time, stans a group
    2016 Dec: Ends up binging Seventeen(OFD, etc) by accident and slips into the diamond life.
    Since then I have officially gotten into kpop and started listening to way more ( compared to Astro+ casual listener days) but my first real introduction was to Gee

emanresu likes this.
  4. Betsemes

Betsemes Super Rookie

Currency:
    InSomnia, Hacker, Buddy
    Short version; watching KNK reaction videos on youtube got me curious.

emanresu likes this.
  5. Elf_lover

Elf_lover Leader

Currency:
    Yes she is, she's very switched on for a 15 year old.

emanresu likes this.
  6. Mootae

Mootae Super Rookie

Currency:
    Anime, then K-Drama.

Saw Da Hee (BigHit's GLAM), but she got into a scandal (I saw her after), so I didn't really look much more up.

After (about 1 year later), I started getting into K-POP.

I could go on and on about who my first artists were, but I only listened to underrated people. I had no clue though. I didn't really care about all that. I was just in it for the music. Now it's different.

emanresu likes this.
  7. RedVelutionary

RedVelutionary Trainee

Currency:
    Welcome to drama, guys. Sooo...
    I was searching up pictures of desserts and searched up red velvet. And I saw a suggestion that said "happiness" with 4 pretty girls <3 so I clicked it. And watched it. I didn't get too obsessed until fast forward a few months and my sister brought a card from school (from a Korean friend). With a bracelet with red, orange, green, blue, and purple beads. And the card had RV puns. So she told me that her friend was a huge fan of "these people."
    And that's how we both got sucked in. As for me, I got annoyed by all of the "SNSD" or "Girls Generation" stages that were recommended when I watched RV, until I clicked on it. And, er... You can see the end result. :)
    Screw you, Red Velvet.

emanresu and yoonbread like this.
  8. yoonbread

yoonbread Public Figure

Currency:
    Interestingly, it was my brother that got me into KPOP. At first I was having none of it. I was only obsessed with baseball players and I remembered thinking...damn these Asian guys looked so tiny compared to Derek Jeter (my favorite player). They aren't even cute.

Anyway, he kept trying to get me into this group Big Bang. I remember the first video he showed me was...

Also, Big Bang's "Always" was his ring tone for months. One day, we were going somewhere in a car and I was forced to listen to all the songs in Big Bang's first three mini albums. Eventually I gave in... the songs were really good. Especially this song...

I had it on repeat...

The rest was history. I've been following kpop on and off for over ten years. I literally watched Big Bang's career evolve and grow. In a way, I grew up alongside the BB members since we are the same age. I don't regret it at all. Kpop is a great past time and escape. I like it to remain that way.

Now a days, Winner keeps me interested because they are the only other band aside from BB that I actively follow. I wish I had more time to follow more but adulting is hard. lol

#68 yoonbread, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    emanresu and Buddy_SR like this.
  9. keylover0923

keylover0923 Rookie

Currency:
    It's one of those magical girl animes that was popular back in the day
    [​IMG]

emanresu likes this.
  10. weirdchubbygirl

weirdchubbygirl Trainee

Currency:
    A long time ago when I was less than 8 years old (I'm 24 now). My sister was watching this tv show that plays Korean music videos and she's the reason why I started paying more attention to the Korean culture. I watched the music videos and the language really intrigued me, so I started watching it more. Some music videos that caught my attention were by artists S.E.S, Shinhwa, Fly to the Sky, Sechskies, Fin.K.L, Baby Voxx, Boa, etc. I'm still into kpop to this day :)

emanresu likes this.
  11. Angel_Angie

Angel_Angie Trainee

Currency:
    In 2015, I saw EXID Hot Pink on TV and then I kept on watching it on Youtube. At that time, I didn't know that it was k-pop and I stopped watching the song when I got over it. At the beginning of the year, my older brother showed me BTS Save Me and BTS Dope and then I discovered k-pop all over again. I found EXID Hot Pink again and then I re-stanned EXID and k-pop all over again. I will forever be a LEGGO!

emanresu likes this.
  12. anat4ever

anat4ever Celebrity

Currency:
    shortest AKP user
    My very first kpop song was when my cousin showed me Run Devil Run (~2010-she's never even been a kpop fan lol). Maybe a year later, my friend showed me songs from DBSK, Suju, and Infinite. For years I stuck with just those songs she showed me because me clicking youtube recommendations sucked. I slowly ventured into watching Youtube clips and then found AKP as a source of news (and memes...back when the memes were good). I joined the AKP forums (2015) because someone said they were more updated on the news lol. Now I'm stuck because I have no life so I spend a ton of time here
    My fave groups are still centered around the original groups I started following. Barring DBSK/TVXQ, but they will forever be the ones who sang my first kpop love :lover1:

emanresu likes this.
  13. pwswan

pwswan Public Figure

Currency:
    In 2009, a publication (I can't remember which one) recommended Gee. I watched the video and didn't see why they were so excited about it; it looked somewhere between Kidz Bop and a jeans commercial. A few years later, Gangnam Style hit me like a ton of bricks.

emanresu likes this.
  14. INTOKPOPSINCE09

Currency:
    So, 8 years ago, I was a member of a dance group on our school. There's this one famous blogger in our country who did an online dance cover contest. My co-members showed me a vid of this video and asked me to pick a number and memorize her steps and choreo. And so, the journey begins.

And the number and member I chose is:

And eventhough I like taeyeon lately, Yuri's still in my heart.

Can you believe that I memorize every Girls' Generation song up to today.

Still my number 1 and my forever bias group

[​IMG]

emanresu likes this.
  15. WHY_SO_SERIOUS17

Currency:
    BIGBANG GOT ME INTO KPOP IN 2009

emanresu likes this.
  16. qurischaus

qurischaus Super Rookie

Currency:
    I love this topic so much I wish I'd thought of it what
    Okay so lemme get this whole story in order.
    A long, long time ago...
    In 2006. A long time about in 2006.
    Anyway, I was a wee baby and knew nothing of the world. That's not a joke, I was extremely sheltered as far as media went. My equally sheltered brother and I stumbled across Rising Sun by DBSK/TVXQ while looking for cartoons and anime. I don't know how we got there, but I do know we kind of... forgot to leave? Or at least, leave permanently. From DBSK, we found a lot of the oldies but goodies and freaked out with each other until breathing was less of a necessity and more of a suggestion.
    Around 2012 I moved on with life, as you do, but occasionally returned to KPop to keep tabs on some groups I couldn't help but love. And then out of nowhere, I came back completely this year and can't see myself taking another break.

There's my not-quite-interesting story. I can't attest to any one group hooking me because I was born multifandomed. I also wasn't sure which into to KPop counted as my real one so I gave all three (absolutely not because it was too short with just the first one.)

Sidenote: He fell out of Kpop. He allows me to be excited about it to him though, with minimal judgement. Mostly because I have the world on him in favors and blackmail.

yoonbread and emanresu like this.
  17. passerbyentity

Currency:
    -I decided to delete this for no particular reason, just want to remove it. Thank You for reading-

#77 passerbyentity, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    emanresu likes this.
  18. VenerableBede

VenerableBede Lia's boyfriend

Currency:
    I first encountered Kpop in 2009 it wasn't on the internet or anything but it was randomly played in our resident basketball court and I remembered how hyped I played because the song was freaking lit then I asked some of my classmates what the song was and discovered it was 2Ne1's Fire with Sandara Park on it (the famous Korean girl in the Philippines). checked it out and jammed with. I wasn't crazy with the group I just remembered that I really liked the song cause the production and the composition of the song was a banger even though I didn't freaking understand the lyrics. Shortly after that I began to watch music videos of Kpop songs, Super Junior's Sorry Sorry, SNSD's Run Devil Run and Gee ( which was annoying but catchy) and Bigbang's Fantastic Baby. Those were the Kpop songs that I had a familiarity to it cause i heard it countless of times.

After years gone by, I never bothered to listen to another Kpop song again I even condemned it because maybe it was everywhere and the rise of these Kpop groups were increasing in a drastic rate that you couldn't notice a new one or two on newsfeeds and youtube vids. I didn't feel the songs that I have listened through a classmate of mine who was a big Kpopper and still condemned it. Until this year I got a hold of Blackpink.

Sorta say I was really intrigued by them because they began appearing on 9Gag memes of all places. From the "crazy friend" meme to the video were their Whistle M/V was recreated by a bunch of kids with no budget. Clicked the comments and saw people saying "Blackpink in your areaaaa" and i was like wtf is that. Then on I was really bored one day experiencing withdrawal symptoms because of my recovery from drug addiction. They still got me so intrigued that I decided to "hey wtf why not let's watch one vid" click on BoomBayah and was captivated. I was like "oh shit so this is the Blackpink in your area" part and the visuals, camera angles, the choreography the whole music video were lit af.

They killed their shit. The song's production was so hyped as well not like any other Kpop song I have listened to before probably because the production was so on par with today's western pop songs (imo). I began to realize that they heavily reminded me of 2Ne1 and later discovered they were with the same company which makes sense but Blackpink was like...they had a fresher vibe in to it. The song was a figment of today's music nowadays. They weren't just 2Ne1, they were Blackpink. They had a concept...an identity. I then proceed to watch to all of their music vids and the rest is history.

emanresu likes this.
  19. LooolAmber

LooolAmber Rookie

Currency:
    Mine isn’t really that glamorous, but here it goes... A vkook butt slapping video showed up on my recommendation

emanresu likes this.
  20. seasoning

seasoning Rookie

Currency:
    I regret this but, schoolmates.
    They are hella annoying but yet they got me here today, so did my friend.

emanresu likes this.