NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

How BTS became so big; My pov

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by waitingdb5k, Jan 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. SugaKitty

SugaKitty Celebrity

Currency:
    The stars aligned for these 7 boys to meet and form a group, that's when it all happened.
    I think it's just fate at this point. Something that can't be explained but makes perfect sense.

2. freakyfantasy

freakyfantasy Leader

Currency:

The meaningful lyrics didn't come AFTER the marketing and the SNS and whatnot, it was exactly what they started with and kept at it. Their debut song No More Dream is basically a wake-up call for the younger generation, who lets itself be drowned by the expectations of the adults and forsake their dreams and wishes in favor of a "secure job", instead of following what they're passionate about. N.O. goes on and builds on the same topic extended to the school system in KR, where school performance is everything and getting into the S.K.Y universities in Seoul is the pinnacle of success, even while children buckle under the pressure of learning more and more and more while sacrificing everything else.

These are some of the tracks they chose to promote at first, and their songs will continue with personal, meaningful lyrics that people related to. They had their hype, hip-hop style songs too, and love songs as well, but they never gave up on those songs that were meant to be something more. Songs like Rain that indirectly speak about depression, or Spine Breaker that calls on the kids who burden their parents financially for useless reasons. And many, many more. Songs that also talk about what they're feeling and experiencing while trying to make their way in the industry.

People always look for things they can relate to. And for artists that they feel are honest and open. BTS made themselves relatable on all plans: through the music by talking about real things like what they're feeling and what they see as unjust and unfair in the world, and yes through SNS, where they chose to show more of themselves and thus make themselves more approachable and more real to the fans.

but it's not all SNS and it's not even mainly the SNS. Some twitter posts and a few Youtube videos wouldn't fool so many people into getting so deep into BTS, if what they had to offer artistically wouldn't rise up to the expectations and made you want to stay and support them on.

noctrum, kiwijoon, andydela and 16 others like this.
  3. blank00

blank00 Trainee

Currency:
    Many points have been said I guess, if I may add from my personal experience, for me it's their music that plays an important role of making people interested.

I knew kpop before I knew BTS, but when I found them I already stopped stanning any group (I just listened to kpop songs casually). Then one day I stumbled upon BTS song (Danger) and for a few months I only listened to their music without knowing who BTS was. I didn't have twitter and didn't follow kpop news so what I was doing was just really listening to their music. Of course in the end I was curious, and here I am.. :D

4. i9son

i9son Trainee

Currency:
    Are I'm the only one who miss the time where BTS weren't so famous ?

Please don't see this in the wrong way because I'm really happy for them and they deserve all the support and love they get and it's so nice to see them success

I just miss the old times where I discover this insanely nice Boy Group. First song I listen from them was Boys In Love and it was just great. Seeing the Seven boy go to show like Weekly Idols and so on was just funny, seeing BTS first win. Just where everything was new and fresh but even thought I miss this times I'm so happy for BTS

5. stunning

stunning Celebrity

Currency:
    Nah you don't need to apologise, that's alright.

They dared to take another chance because of US ARMYs propelling them. What makes it impossible to have another 'BTS' is not only BTS themselves but to also have another 'ARMY'.

I agree with what you said though, BTS has done nearly everything for K-Pop. That's why I made a thread before on what is the limits K-Pop can reach further after BTS?

6. kryswithluv

Currency:
    Well as someone who know and follow kpop since 2007 and lucky enough to have witnessed BTS's growth since 2014 until now, here's my take:

First, they wrote meanigful music since predebut, they debut with bunch of meaningful song, it's just the thing they do and passionate with as they stated before, it wasn't that they started do it bcs they become popular or targeting spesific market lol, it is their main attraction since the very beginning, they are just that bunch of talented and gifted kids.
    They share their dance practice, vlog and all to intorduce their talents constantly since predebut, they already have followers who have demand for their music right when they debut, what keep them going is really their music and performance, they were like a Super Extraordinary Rookie.

The thing about their SNS interaction, i think it was like Serendipity for them, back then they had almost zero connection to tv shows which other agencies rely on to promote their idols, even if they had a chance, other more popular one would be prioritized first, i think that's one of the main reason they genuinely build their own SNS platforms and connection to promote themselves, out of lack of connection but turn out become one of their way to build one, it's Serendipitious,
    It's not the only reason tho, bcs they actually been using SNS since they were predebut to intorduce themselves as 'Bangtan', hence how they could gained followers that already loyal enough to translate their things,

As a new fan back then i was so surprised,
    First of all Their Free Soundcloud Paradise, they released many free songs and covers since predebut, man never in my wildest dream would see a kpop group would be THAT generous, it was a rare sight even until now,
    Their blog, mann it was like their own daily magazine, who does that? No one.
    Fancafe, i was struggle to follow their things on fancafe, so i just rely on Army translators, but they also very active there,

Their twitter, actually, many popular idols around that time were actively use Twitter, even Instagram, but Bangtan are the only one who stay there when everyone move to instagram lol,
    That's why i don't quite agree if people say they have SNS privilege, i mean others have that too even have more followers than Bangtan back then but somehow Bangtan can build such connection with their fans through SNS interaction which also build their fandom, why is that?

And Youtube,
    they barely reach 200k subscriber on yt but then their contents were already hundreds with vlogs and all, this was NOT what kpop idols or kpop agencies do back then, kpop stans back then get their content mainly from tv shows which they have to wait weeks to get the english subtitle or someone kind enough to upload it on youtube with 480p quality, but here we have BTS with hundreds of free contents with their own Armys translator for themselves,
    Only few idol start to active on yt but the content is also lacking, it's just different from the way bangtan use the platform, they literally build it as Armys's main content place,
    really no one do it like them since the beginning, the idea, their approach with their music, art, performances, contents and all to the fans and their marketing route is so different no matter how you look at it.

So i think the use of SNS become a stepping stone for them but the one that make it successful is themselves, their passion to create their music, their art, performances, to add that their genuine personality to actualy interact with their fans, to always guve back to the fans, to actually genuinely acknnowledge their fans with action, that's all that build the fandom to become so huge and loyal and keep on growing, the platform that they've build now constantly come with unmatched Arts, Contents, they constantly come with unmatched idea and approach no matter how Big they've become, hence They gain their Unmatched Success and Popularity. An Anomaly indeed.

#26 kryswithluv, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  7. myaza

myaza Elite

Currency:
    Break The System
    Kpop artists were using social media before BTS. GDragon had twice as much twitter followers as BTS when BTS won BBMAs.

Then main reason BTS became so big is because they are at another level artistically compared to most kpop. Thats it. Once they got a tiny amount of exposure, naturally listeners started to recommend them to others. And since the content was so good, the fanbase kept growing.

8. celyn21

celyn21 Super Rookie

Currency:
    Grimreaper
  9. Afriyieau1

Afriyieau1 Trainee

Currency:
    It was the MUSIC. Period
    Everything else was just secondary. If their music was awful no kind of promotion and strategies will ever make them this big and successful :yesr:

10. troye22

troye22 Rookie

Currency:
    Lol there is nothing controversial about this point. they might have been lucky about certain factors in their way to absolute (kpop) domination, but some people are missing a very big factor (in my opinion): the boys themself.

No other group would have succeeded (to the same extent) in their position. They have this sincerity in everything they do and in who they are & it's something i (and many others) haven't seen much in artists/celebrities.

Mirajess, Hallybell, KiKi234 and 8 others like this.
  11. babdit

babdit Leader

Currency:
    regretting life decisions
    its not really their sincerity. i mean im not saying they arent sincere, im saying the sincere point falls under the first point i made
    i was talking abt sm else
    like that star quality, that x factor. ppl wouldnt be this crazy abt bts if it werent for thier personality/image/i dont really know lol
    just basically, if they were boring/uninteresting, they wouldnt be where they are today.
    bts are where they are now, quite literally, of who they are as people, they were meant to be stars

12. jin-yoon

jin-yoon Rookie

Currency:
    I will say it's bts sincerity. It's sincerity that flows into the music and their interaction with fans. Fans love their sound but the lyrics also help because those lyrics are relatable. And they're relatable in a way you can tell this is what these people truly feel and not people writing lyrics trying to appeal to certain people.

Their sincerity is visible in how they interact with fans too. It's not social media like how people want to believe but because when they communicated through social media, they did it in a way that was real.

13. nevermindmejin

nevermindmejin Trendsetter

Currency:
    Oh yes!! Sincerity. They were and are so earnest about their arts, not afraid to show their failures or weaknesses and just be themselves. BTS are also not afraid to show hunger for success yet they are humble when they reached their goals. Those boys are just oozing with relatability and it’s genuine. Even now, just that one carpool karaoke can convert GP into ARMY..

14. troye22

troye22 Rookie

Currency:
    no no, i totally know what you mean tho!
    I don't mean sincerity in the literal way, being honest only (which they also are in every aspect). I meant they are unabashedly themselves & luckily for bh, they had it. They, themselves, were enough/were made for this.

15. babdit

babdit Leader

Currency:
    regretting life decisions
    yes, this, 100%%%%
    u wont get individuals like bts anywhere else, the fucking gems that they are, and that contributed a lot to their success which i dont think a lot of ppl realize

16. PinkBish

PinkBish Rookie

Currency:
    Same! I was basically stanning the whole industry before i discovered BTS. I gradually dropped all the groups i stanned because i lose interest in them, BTS is the only one that remained and now only a few groups interest me. I am also very lucky, being a 2013 army, to experience all their eras and my love for their music and artistry grows even bigger every comeback.

sati1234, KiKi234, V_Sobi and 5 others like this.
  17. notxanfyrian

notxanfyrian Super Rookie

Currency:
    jungkooks wh@re
    a beautiful discography and ethereal perfomances play a big role:yesr:
    also the members dedication to music and the bond they have with each other is really heartwarming

18. fortuna

fortuna Star

Currency:
    ARMYs as well were smarter and had more togetherness than other fandoms sorry not sorry

International fans before didnt care for Korean fans and vice versa

That changed with ARMY who had communication set up between the two.
    Korean fans would write letters and have them translated to reach international fans and vice versa.
    They doted on each other and gave nicknames "k diamonds/i-lovelies"
    It is crazy now because it seems like there is discord but earlier there wasnt.
    Both sides tried harder to understand each other.

Smarter in the sense that they studied the charts and were one step ahead of everybody else

I will also mention motivated and passionate because that is BTS and their music's greatest effect. They had a way of making people want to do more for them. It also helped that the kpop environment was so vicious towards them and that the boys were capable of comforting people with sincere lyrics. So ARMY took it upon themselves to promote whether it be to family members or strangers online. All because they knew that bts deserved more and that more people will appreciate them if given the chance. The kpop community called it spamming and the fans were called names for it tho

#38 fortuna, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  19. tomatoface

tomatoface Newbie

Currency:
    I'll just list out the things that i think did it though they've already been brought up by others.

I first got into kpop 2009 and would listen to it on and off over the next few years only truly giving in and buying and downloading albums in 2013 ( i was a broke as fuck 17 yr old ). bts came onto my radar ironically enough around the time i discovered allkpop ( early 2015, which i wouldn't join until later) i would lurk the forums ( still do) eventually there came a point where i was bombarded with bts articles eventually something to do with russia and the military and then I was just like "Fuck it", so i checked them out and havn't looked back since. And this is my story of how i joined a cult.:sweatr:

anyway joking aside.:teeheek:

>they made an effort to consistantly release content for fans since pre debut
    >they stayed connected and made sure fans from all over felt included
    >in turns fans translated content to ease the language and cultural barrier between bts and international fans
    >Timing ( oh my god was their timing impeccable, it was like the stars aligned for bts)
    >social media/ autonomy ( be real, naysayers can speak all they want but social media had a massive impact on their popularity, to the point where they simply wouldn't be as big as they are now if it wasn't for platforms like twitter etc)
    >big hits marketing team ( i feel like people try to downplay their importance but its collective effort and teamwork between bighit and bts)
    >they were at the time underdogs in the industry and every one loves a good underdog story.
    >ARMY
    >MUSIC( i wouldn't listen to them if i didn't like their music, and their portfolio is exstensive over 100+ songs)
    >SINCERITY ( i felt like this should be bolded because its their sincerity that makes their lyrics and actions resonate in a positive way with the masses)
    > just visually asthetic across the board including, members, fashion, make up, hair, clothes, mv's, choreographys' etc.
    > PERFORMANCE ( the charisma, i've never not enjoyed a bts perfomance)

20. blank00

blank00 Trainee

Currency:
    Awww.. I wish I knew them sooner, I was a 2015/2016 army.