Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

How Big was Teen Top?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Coelacanth, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Artist

This is a sincere question directed particularly at longer-tenured Kpop fans.

I first got into Kpop in 2012, but it took a while for me to become really familiar with the genre. So I sort of missed the boat on Teen Top's heyday; by the time I was a serious fan, they seemed to be past the peak of their success. So here's my question: how popular was Teen Top during their glory days? Were they really an A-list group like I've heard some fans suggest? And if so, is there a reason why they don't seem as venerated in retrospect compared to other groups of their era?

Thanks for the info! :)

magito and Cutie888 like this.
  2. Sehuns_lines

EXOL
    To be honest I have been into Kpop since 2011 and didn’t even find out about teen top until 2015 when up10nation debuted...

So I’m gonna guess and say they were not that big....

3. baekbiscuit

baekbiscuit Entertainer

Writer/Artist
    i wondered the same thing
    but then i figured they were probably much more popular in their home country and that they're probably still popular there now at least a little but i have no way of sensing it with my international ass
    i mean no one i know likes teen top but if they really didn't have a fanbase at home they'd be forced to disband
    so i bet they have sales

honestly their music is SO GOOD. i know someones gotta be buying it. but i really wish they were popular here and more popular everywhere

4. Vikki

Vikki Married to @Girl_Crush

Time waster
    Hello

magito, baekbiscuit and Coco like this.
  5. baekbiscuit

baekbiscuit Entertainer

Writer/Artist
    wahhhhh i know someone who loves teen top?!?! yes! what's your favorite song/mv?
    mine is To You!

magito and Vikki like this.
  6. Coco

Coco Artist

Jisoo’s cheerleader
    I had only heard of them here and there. They have good songs. They were between the low-mid tier groups in terms of popularity, some-days they were talked about a lot in the fandom (well, I use twitter a lot so I saw people talking about them there)

I don’t know what happened now

Edit: tbh I never followed them much so my comment is probably inaccurate

#6 Coco, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  7. Vikki

Time waster
    That's really hard, I love Miss Right, but if you got rid of the English bits in Love Is, it would be pretty close. The dance for Rocking will forever be one of my favorite choreographies though, it's so satisfying to watch.

crazy808, magito, Coco and 1 other person like this.
  8. Wet_Willy

Wet_Willy Entertainer

Their heyday was around Crazy and To You era, snagged a few music show wins if I recall correctly. But I can't speak to the magnitude of their success, because I was still a relatively new kpop fan who exclusively watched Music Bank.

jytjuyikhujo, Coco and baekbiscuit like this.
  9. baekbiscuit

baekbiscuit Entertainer

Writer/Artist
    miss right is great. and omg i LOVE "love is" I have listened to it countless times
    rocking is so amazing too. for me its the song as well as dance

did you hear "what's problem" on their last album? it became a new instant favorite. i also love call me

Vikki and Coco like this.
  10. Vikki

Time waster
    I've heard What's Problem and I love it a lot. I don't think I've heard Call Me (I'm still working on listening to all their songs). I really love High Five from the album, and Niels solo songs last year were so good. :lover1:

Coco and baekbiscuit like this.
  11. baekbiscuit

baekbiscuit Entertainer

Writer/Artist
    that song is so weird yet so good! i can't help singing it
    i saw them perform call me but they only did it like once. i loved it and wanted them to keep doing it but their last comeback felt like it was over before it even started lol i was so mad

oh yeah high five is probably one of my favorite albums. next favorite is No 1

and yeah neil's solos are awesome. his voice is so great. i like niel a lot

Coco and Vikki like this.
  12. Vikki

Time waster
    I wasn't a part of the fandom when they had their comeback last year so at leasat I didn't have that problem lol. Who's your bias? Mine are Niel and LJoe.

13. baekbiscuit

baekbiscuit Entertainer

Writer/Artist
    ahhh okay. lol well mine is chunji. he is so talented and adorable

i hate to mention this but, you do know about l joe's departure right? he might technically be forced to be in teen top due to contract but he's trying to get out if that. he wants to do other things like acting etc

Coco and Vikki like this.
  14. Vikki

Time waster
    Of course, I found that after really starting to like him. :( I'm kind of used to my biases leaving tbh, he's the 4th bias I've had who is no longer a part of the group, and I don't even have that many biases to begin with. If someone leaves a group I stan it's usually my bias. :rolleyes:

baekbiscuit and Coco like this.
  15. misterlibels

misterlibels Artist

PPIC Staff
    As far as I know, when they debuted almost same time with Infinite, both groups were being known as "knife-like-choreography" groups. I think their most successful year is around 2011-2013, with at-that-time domestic popularity maybe comparable with GOT7's current domestic popularity.

Their 1st album "No. 1" is probably my personal favorite from them though, to the extend I become a fan of them. "Miss Right", "I Wanna Love", and "Missing You" are sooo good, plus all other tracks are also great too.

16. Znewie71

Znewie71 Entertainer

Teentop love them, their songs are bops. Some grpups do well internationally and some do well locally. They did better locally but they stll did well internationally and were always invited to kcon, iu and neil singing at kcon was so nice. Teentop is far from over yet, they recently renewed their contract, of course ljoe left. They have been together 8 years, and they are still so young, they acted, put out solo albums, have done variety, and released music as a group. So i think teentop is doing ok. With newer groups coming in, and younger generation of kpop fans coming in, they dont seem to get to know alot of the older groups, the fans i mean. But hey jbj kenta loves teentop, huge fan of ricky.

#16 Znewie71, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    persona1418 and Coco like this.
  17. _Nyx

_Nyx Entertainer

Teen Top fan here! C.A.P is one of my three ultimate biases lol Also them on Weekly Idol will forever be my favorite episodes.

18. byun_je_ri

byun_je_ri Artist

Full time Avenger and #girlgroupprotection squad
    They had medium success. Several of their songs sold well on the old Gaon charts, and I think they were relatively known. They definitely were know for the dances.

episode, jytjuyikhujo and magito like this.
  19. Spinereader

I'm not Korean so I can't say, but they seemed to be mid-tier, on the level of Boyfriend and Nu'est.

baekbiscuit likes this.
  20. baekbiscuit

baekbiscuit Entertainer

Writer/Artist
    whoa how do you deal with that? i've never had a bias leave before
    the closest i came to that feeling is when kris left
    but he never really went away so i was fine
    i can still see krisus all the time

Vikki likes this.