Give Somi a Chance

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JiDrew, Jun 13, 2019.

1. JiDrew

JiDrew Trainee

Currency:
    Being one of a kind
    It seems like everyone finds it easy to play the blame game nowadays. I'll try to voice out my opinion on every single matter regarding her.

Her Debut
    First of all I'd like to say that Somi had a generally decent debut, I can agree it's not the best but it is still decent. It's got that classic 'YG music feels different from other music' vibe.
    A lot of you wouldn't get it at first, me neither. But trust me..the more you listen to it the more it grows on you, it's that kind of song.

Her showcase
    No wait I'll talk about her first before I get into this bit.

About Somi.
    A lot of you don't seem to know who she is and what she's been through.
    She's definitely even younger than some of you, which means she definitely has a long way to go through.
    She started in the industry pretty young, getting into JYP after an audition. There she first participated in a program where she was just barely eliminated in the finals for the group that would later come to be known as FRIGGING TWICE. But she only barely left out, as the members that got in were older and better at that time. That doesn't mean she isn't as good as them though, she was definitely Twice material, just unlucky at the time. If you want anymore proof you'll find that later on after further training she participated in another mixed survival program that we all probably know, Produce 101. There she came in 1st place with over 8000 points!
    Enough? That alone should be enough to prove her vocal,dance and visual skills right?
    Even after her time with I.O.I that really didn't seem to have much scopes for a future(unlike now) as it was filled with different companies ( Wannaone anyone?). After that as well she really didn't get much scope in JYP. Even then, she, an idol was pushed into various other reality and variety programs.
    YET
    She still succeeded. Her character(despite being a little bold) was adorable and loved by many netizens and she gained a huge popularity that people aren't aware of. I've seen a lot of people commenting who she is and where she came from, this is how. Basically a Kim Heechul, if you will. She's extremely good at varieties!
    Afterwards she finally decided to terminate her contract with JYP and join Black Label. Everyone thinks that there's bad blood with her and JYP when really there isn't....Do you see any reports of GD having bad blood with SM? It's where she trained and spent most of her middle age at.

As you can see, even without much music content( which is what she trained for) she still has raving achievements and she's still beloved. Mind you she was only 15,16, and 17 when she did that. She just turned 18.
    Still such a young age, you can only be lying to yourself if you're saying that she isn't that good an Idol. She has so much further to grow and improve still, I agree. But give her some room then won't you? Give her a chance.

If you can agree on waiting to see what more new groups like TXT has to offer after their debut, you can give her a chance too. Believe me, I've been a fan of her's and I've seen her work. This one has an insane potential to become one of the top in the industry.

Her showcase
    Okay now I'll talk about it. Why do people blame her for a poor showcase? She's new and she's debuting, do you really think people will give her a voice to decide how to do her activities? Her management is to blame, always. Then again, Black Label..Yg...do I even need to explain.
    Even yet so she gave an honest explanation, those that've seen the video will understand. She still wasn't ready, yet since her album literally centered around her birthday, they couldn't play with the concept and yet had to make do. It's sad, but understandable. Even then again, due to poor management , her and her team had to make rerecordings and change choreographies even after her debut.
    But yet she explained that she only wanted to give her fans and the people the best of what she could do with what she had. Some of the people might say she could've given a bad performance rather than no performance at all. I can say she could've held a showcase rather than no showcase at all. But does it really work that way? No. It's all scheduling(poor) and planning(poor) that couldn't be changed. I don't mean to sound completely biased her but her management did a terrible job wih her promotions overall.
    You can't blame her for it.
    She did apologise, give her a chance like I said, she will get better. Don't set yourself to automatically hate her out of no reason.
    Speaking of automatic...

About those netizen comments

It's just something that I've been curious about..not just for her but any idol's case.
    You guys do realize the these comments that these reports post are just a few compared to the many outpouring positive comments that also exist right? It's only just that the reports like to specifically handpick out the few negative comments and post it as an overall general opinion of the public. It's not a general opinion, it's just the media outlet's way of tricking us. We can all agree and notice that we tend to poke our eyes more into dramatic content than boring ones. These negative opinions are a huge factor of creating drama, it's an easy magnet to drag people that don't even know what it's about but still put a first impression on them.
    It's not the truth. There's so much more to all this than the media tries to explain. They like to swallow content, chew it and spit it out with all their saliva(yes ew I know) in it. But you understand what I mean.

End statement
    Give her a chance and some time. She'll show you. Trust me she has the potential, hopefully she will deliver. She's new in the active kpop industry just like new groups, and she's on her own, which means its extra pressurizing and a bigger burden.
    No one's asking any of you to stan her, but give her some time. She may not have the best debut, but that's not gonna be enough to cancel her yet. Look forward to it.

Have a great day ahead ! ^^
    Edit: I really am glad to see such positive people like all of you appreciating her and willingness to see what she can do ^-^ Thank you so much for taking your time to read this! <3

08600a22082db3ef3b7eefbc62ee455b.jpg somi-4.jpg

#1 JiDrew, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. solbora

solbora Rookie

Currency:
    She's already outcharting most of her criticizer's faves. So that's that on that!

Solarsido, JiDrew and notfunnybtw like this.
  3. downwithNPDnarcs

Currency:
    I thought ppl liked somi

JiDrew and notfunnybtw like this.
  4. keyboardwarrior7

Currency:
    Somi's doing fine.

Even with the hate, she's still within Melon's top 10. She's not flopping or anything, lol.

I think she'll be okay.

babybat, Solarsido and JiDrew like this.
  5. possiblymad

possiblymad Celebrity

Currency:
    The MV was nice, the song was okay too I am giving Somi a chance :confused::confused: I always liked her idk
    also I thought it was a strong song (it's a good thing) for a debut, she deserves success she have a lot of potential

JiDrew likes this.
  6. kpopenthusiast12

kpopenthusiast12 Celebrity

Currency:
    I liked the debut. It was a cool blend of bubblegum pop and hip hop. The concept fits her, but the song was good enough for me.

Solarsido, Pinkl3monad3 and JiDrew like this.
  7. jytjuyikhujo

jytjuyikhujo Elite

Currency:
    Stanning Girl Groups
    I think ppl are overreacting tbh, her song isn't the worst thing in the world. And I think ppl are being to crazy, the recent netizenbuzz article about her showcase, geez all those ppl comments are praying for her downfall and nitpicking her skills chill it's a debut.

Solarsido and JiDrew like this.
  8. mistydawn

mistydawn Trainee

Currency:
    exactly, thank you.

JiDrew likes this.
  9. JiDrew

JiDrew Trainee

Currency:
    Being one of a kind
    I really am glad to see such positive people like all of you appreciating her and willingness to see what she can do ^-^ Thank you so much for taking your time to read this! <3

Draft saved Draft deleted