GAON certifications don't make sense AT ALL

Discussion in 'Achievements' started by salem9, Apr 9, 2020.

1. salem9

salem9 Celebrity

Currency:
    I'm pretty sure this have been discussed before. But some recent certifications have made me realize more and more that the whole system doesn't make sense and, again, it just shows the lack of transparency we've been experiencing since gaon decided to hide the amount of downloads of every release.

So, quick example:

As most of you know, Bad Boy just received a download certification for surpassing 2,5 million downloads just a couple of hours ago. However, there's something missing for me.

At gaon's 2018 yearly download chart these songs ranked in the following order:

#18 - Red Velvet - Bad Boy
    #22 - TWICE - What is Love

As of early 2019, Gaon confirmed that What is Love had an amount of 1,590,734 sales, as they won their respective SOTY award. So we can assume Red Velvet's Bad Boy wasn't really far from that as only 4 spots separate each one of them. I would guess around 1,7 million downloads, as Big Bang's Flower Road was confirmed to have 1,8 million and was positioned on 10th place.

Also, WIL received a platinum streaming certification in November's last year. It's natural assuming that Twice is pretty big in terms of streamings, even for a song that wasn't that big when it came out.

Now what is really bugging me is that in Gaon's 2019 download yearly chart, What is Love placed #166 and Bad Boy didn't chart in the top 200. Sure, we can expect that maybe the difference between the 166th place and the songs that are out of chart isn't that big and maybe with Psycho blowing out, maybe people started to download more Red Velvet songs during the last weeks of 2019 and first weeks of 2020.

However, digging more in 가이섬.com (really helpful in these cases) i find out that during 2019 and 2020, Bad Boy didn't chart at all in gaon's weekly digital chart, hence why it didn't receive digital points for it's performance. On the other hand, during 2019 Twice's What is Love collected a very impressive amount of
    102,734,800 digital points. Which is even more than Mamamoo's Starry Night during the same year.

On top of that, Bad Boy still has not received a streaming certification, which is something natural to get first on most cases, even for groups as big as BTS.

A similar thing happened with Blackpink's Forever Young a couple of months ago. It charted lower than BTS's Fake Love during 2018 and 2019's Gaon download chart and yet both songs achieved a download certification at the same time, last December. Even though it didn't receive a streaming certification first (something natural for a YG group, as you can even notice happened with DDDD).

Is there any explanation for these cases? Am i missing something else? @Juanlag @acadz :sweatr:

Please keep in mind that i'm not trying to shade any particular song or group in here. I'm just trying to be as neutral as possible to try to figure out what the hell happens with these damn certifications.

2. PINKBLINK

PINKBLINK Public Figure

Currency:
    One in a Million
    Well isnt the index made up of a combination of streaming and download?

If Bad Boy doesnt have a streaming cert but instead a DL on and vice versa for WIL? Maybe WIL? Made up most of its charting on streaming and BB on downloads?

KawaiiSamii and HardcoreBLINK like this.
  3. Cold_Wave

Cold_Wave Rookie

Currency:
    its not that serious

L_catzzz, jennery and HardcoreBLINK like this.
  4. Castor

Castor Celebrity

Currency:
    ✅4th gen kpop is superior than 3rd gen✅
    Bad Boy is brought more than streamed? It can happen in rare cases.
    It sold 1M in 2019 I am guessing...

PINKBLINK likes this.
  5. Icaro_Ribeiro

Currency:
    Web Developer
    Gaon certifications are a joke. I don't even follow it anymore

6. salem9

salem9 Celebrity

Currency:
    The thing is, WIL didn't chart on gaon's 2019 yearly streaming chart but it did on the download chart.

Also, as of January 2019, What is Love had 84 million streamings, and it took the song almost a year (November 2019) to get to 100 million streams. Which means it didn't do particularly well in terms of streaming either.

PINKBLINK likes this.
  7. salem9

salem9 Celebrity

Currency:
    Yeah, i'm pretty sure there are way more examples out there.

Such a shame, i'm guessing is just a matter of time before it starts happening the same with album sales too

8. salem9

salem9 Celebrity

Currency:
    Actually no. According to Gaon's weird numbers, Drunk on Love sold almost 1 million and it charted pretty high, #36. Based on that we can expect the following positions to be way worse than that

Castor likes this.
  9. Castor

Castor Celebrity

Currency:
    ✅4th gen kpop is superior than 3rd gen✅
    Oky, yeah it is kinda weird if it didn't made it in either digital,download or streaming chart overall in 2019.
    I am not sure maybe there is some mistake or maybe there are some difference calculation made for certification??

10. Slayurfaves

Slayurfaves Rookie

Currency:
    some songs have more downloads than streams am I missing something? why is it confusing?

zigzig and HardcoreBLINK like this.
  11. salem9

salem9 Celebrity

Currency:
    Did you read the whole thing? I left pretty good arguments there :(

12. KawaiiSamii

Currency:
    Digital Index and Certifications were a mistake. I told y'all not to follow them serious since its going to end up being trash and nothing will make any sense. But y'all went ahead and hyped it up now nothing makes any sense anymore.

salem9 and Juanlag like this.
  13. Juanlag

Juanlag Star

Currency:
    I didn't follow Bad boy's case. Anyway remember Gaon changed the 2018 download chart completely in the middle of 2019 without giving any explanation( before the change Bad boy was 21 and WIL 33 which would fit more with this situation i guess), with that literally everything lost sense, they can't do that and think we're going to trust them. The certifications are still more or less accurated i guess, if there's a popular song it will get them sooner or later, but looking at some things as you said they are too weird, i don't even know what to believe anymore.
    Also i was going to post later in the pinned digital thread something about the market share of the streaming services with other thing that doesn't make sense of Gaon so if you're interested you can check it~

L_catzzz, Castor and MassiveKpopFan like this.
  14. hardcore-once-01

hardcore-once-01 Celebrity

Currency:
    ITZY's Manager.
    its unfair for WIL and BB.:(

15. myaza

myaza Idol

Currency:
    It sketchy how they stopped giving out real download and stream numbers tbh