Game of Thrones deserved better

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Zenning, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Currency:
    I rewatched several episodes of GoT's final season to see if my opinion would change, and nope, still hasn't changed much.

Anyone else here who watched GoT got the feeling that GoT's in the last couple of years started to suck so much storywise, because the producers Benioff and Weiss got tired of it after all those years and wanted to finish quickly and rush off to do fun stuff they could be excited about again, like Star Wars?

Multifandomkk and EjellieBean like this.
  2. scaryguy_ivar

scaryguy_ivar Jeon Soyeon fanboy

Currency:
    It started to suck the moment daenerys and jon became a thing. That relationship ruined everything.

sweettaylor, Zenning and LanaWhatever like this.
  3. begginforthread

begginforthread Trendsetter

Currency:
    Cunt
    i think there are some great individual scenes but overall the writing and structure of the last 2 seasons were a mess.

the white walkers were built up since the first episode of the show and they were dealt with in a single night. fuckin amateur writers.

4. JT_HannahGrace

JT_HannahGrace Public Figure

Currency:
    Ethics and media instructor
    I was late to the GoT game and binged right before the finale. I feel like I'm the only one out there that is "okay" with how it ended even though the rush job bothered the heck out of me. From an academic standpoint, Dany's turn wasn't unexpected and there was buildup to the "mad queen" ending, and Jon offing her made sense. Despite the rush job, the finale had a lot of deeper thinking involved which I liked. Yea, there were things that sucked, but from an overall point-of-view, it ended alright.

Zenning and Optical_Illusion like this.
  5. dong_ii

dong_ii Married to @mochichu

Currency:
    no
    the show is a piece of shit

the books deserved a better adaptation

Zenning likes this.
  6. Zeroda

Zeroda Public Figure

Currency:
    Stanning Sope
    unpopular but got sucks since season 5
    you can clearly see when there were no book behind the series, the quality dropped fast
    the last season was the worst one tho, suddenly the characters had no idea who are them and what are they even doing, especially the writers had no idea what to do with Arya, Jon and the Night King
    well after season 7 cringe fest I cant say Im suprised, I was sure its gonna be bad

7. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Currency:
    Procrastinator
    D&D suffered from the same thing Zack Snyder has been plagued with - they're fine when they have a source material to mine their ideas from but falters when their left alone to their own devices.

Can't blame them wholly though. Imagine being the showrunners to a show with lots of moving pieces and dozens of characters. It's daunting. Me being an arm chair critic would probably nope out even as early as the pre-production stage if I was in their shoes. Think about all the shows that have ended on a positive note and compare the scope. You're just following a few major characters in Breaking Bad and Hannibal. Lost suffered too when it got crushed by it's own bullshit in the end. Having said that, they owed their fans a satisfying end regardless of how challenging that is and it did felt rushed and some felt really out of character. Still can't believe the writing team okayed the whole thing.

Zenning likes this.
  8. kyutiemir22

kyutiemir22 Arya and Gendrys 3rd Wheel
    Events Team . Moderator

Currency:
    The only thing the last season got right was the cinematography tbh
    The visuals were fucking amazing but the script was trash
    I'm like a chapter away from finishing the last book and in a way I regret it cause it really changed my entire perspective on the whole show
    Theres no Belwas, no Penny, the whole Dorne arc was butchered, Arya in the books is one stone cold boss ass bitch she even manages to make tv arya look weak, its just all messed up. And it was because they got bored and tired and wanted to move. I don't fault them for wanting to move on but they were selfish pricks for not allowing anyone else to take charge. It makes me so mad every time I think about it cause its so disrespectful to George.

sek_c and Zenning like this.
  9. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Currency:
    ? You didn't even like the Red Wedding, the political intrigue, the Hodor revelation or Hardhome?

The show wasn't perfect, but it had a lot of good stuff in it, which is why it won a lot of awards.

When I look at how other book adaptation into series have gone, I think George RR Martin can thank the producers for the GoT show, because it could've gone far, far worse; A Song of Fire and Ice could've gone the way of all those other book-to-TV adaptations.

Yeah, I think a lot of the issues with the last 2 seasons and especially the last season was that Benioff and Weiss started to rush things, possibly because now they had to make up all the plotlines and in the last season because they had had enough of GoT.

As soon as they went off the books, nuance and story detail started to fade, and things started to turn to the usual TV storytelling: main characters and even side characters suddenly got bucketloads of plot armor and story often devolved into the wish fulfillment level of fan fiction and fan service.

It's also solely a Benioff and Weiss thing: the studio would've loved some added seasons of GoT, the same for the writers.
    But towards the end GoT started to feel more and more like Benioff and Weiss simply checking off story checkpoints on their to-do list.

Zeroda likes this.
  10. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Currency:
    I think the writing team didn't really have much of a choice. There's only so much you can do if you have only a few hours of broadcasting left to tie up all the story knots.

I agree, cinematography was stunning and awe inspiring, almost as good as movie quality at some moments.

I can understand why after so many years that GoT had taken over their lives, they were in a hurry to move on. But they should've either be serious about giving GoT a proper ending and give it more time to round things up better, or they should've handed the reins to others, for them to give GoT a proper ending.
    Now it felt like D&D (Benioff+Weiss) wanted to have their cake and eat it - and ended up with a shadow of what season 8 and GoT's ending could've been.

kyutiemir22 likes this.
  11. dong_ii

dong_ii Married to @mochichu

Currency:
    Well that's the point

the show was pretty good

upto the point it copied the book act to act

then when it became its own thing, it turned to shit

its not like the directors added any of their own brilliance till season 4-5, they only fed on Martin's material

the actors and soundtrack and all are spectacular but the storytellers themselves are crap

Zenning likes this.
  12. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Currency:
    Procrastinator
    I kinda have to disagree on that. I don't think it's not that they don't have a choice. It's more like they made poor choices on what to address and how to address those.

There's probably no way they can tie up every loose ends, sure. Even with a full season. However the way they marched to their endgame was unsatisfying. Bran ending up on the throne doesn't sit well with me for example (no pun intended) because that means he was playing the long con all along or even if he wasn't, that opens a lot of questions that shouldn't even be present in the final season. It's kinda late in the game for fans to be theorycrafting. How Tyrion's and Jamie's character were mangled can't be blamed to having no choice either. They could have been in one episode each and it would probably have still been great if they were written well. I'm not even sure what happened to Varys or why Cersei spent the whole season just looking out over yonder.

Zenning likes this.
  13. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Currency:
    I agree, they were good at working with the book material they got - which is an accomplishment in itself, not many epic fantasy book-to-series adaptations succeed in making the source material shine through.
    But as soon as they went beyond the books and they had to make do with Martin's general, vague descriptions, it became just a checklist to finish.
    A real shame.

True. I'm thinking the same, that with the right pool of writers they could've even make it work with the short time they had left. Or at least make it work better.
    What's grating is, that they introduced a lot of wish fulfillment, plot armor and fan service in the last 2 seasons, yet at the end they came up with a finale that was unsatisfactory anyway.

StCatMouse likes this.
  14. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Currency:
    Procrastinator
    This 1000%. I can't help but feel I was taken for a ride. The extended hiatus made it even worse because I was expecting something better than what I got from that extended period of production.

Zenning likes this.
  15. StCatMouse

StCatMouse Rookie

Currency:
    Procrastinator
    And D&D backed out of SDCC. Of course the spin is scheduling conflict but I don't think it's far fetched they are dodging fans. I'm split whether it was the right thing to do as rabid fans can get vicious and I'm not sure they're going to hold back in the panel, on the other hand they could have cleared things up, maybe give fans their reasoning for the writing concessions they made and why things ended up as it did. Oh well.

16. EjellieBean

EjellieBean Rookie

Currency:
    I live in Ireland and I went to Belfast to see the exhibition twice because the show was my life lol
    But the eighth season was terrible, so bad I cried at the ending because of the terrible way they reached it.
    They fell off the wagon with keeping up with sub plots and clever plot devices since season 6 and I knew it was going to be bad after season 7, but I didn’t expect this level of terrible.
    I’ve resorted to reading all the books again and I’ve accepted the book ending will be a lot better even if a lot of the same conclusions are reached.
    Queen in the North
    AEC402FB-3A5C-40D7-AE7B-A2E1D9354F25.jpeg

Zenning likes this.
  17. Multifandomkk

Multifandomkk Trainee

Currency:
    It would've been nice if they didn't deviate so much from the books in the early seasons. They pretty much ruined characters like tyrion in the last season though. I can't get over that. He was made into a fool and so was jon. It was all about Daenerys. I also felt like they could've cut all those scenes with grey worm and missandei. They were so unnecessary and only fan service. It was pretty underwhelming. But at least the books exist :)

Zenning likes this.
  18. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Currency:
    I didn't mind the long hiatus, because I thought 'better quality and a long wait than speed and mediocrity', but it appears that storywise it didn't help a damn.
    The visuals were great, no doubt about it. As for the rest...

Heh yeah, their backing out is perfectly in line with the regard they've shown for GoT's last season and the overall story of George RR Martin's world.
    It's the little attention they'd left to spend in their rush towards their new pet projects that mean a lot more to them.

I think they've ruined all characters with the final season, incl Daenerys.

As for the books, let's hope George RR Martin will get over his writing block and finally finish his books.
    I can still recall the bittersweet taste when someone else than Robert Jordan himself had to finish the Wheel of Time series :oops:

StCatMouse likes this.