[for fans] Red Velvet comeback impressions: ReVe Festival, Day 1

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Zenning, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Currency:
    We're something of a week in into Red Velvet's comeback period, enough time to gather up some impressions of this comeback, the song, album, performances and other stuff.

My impressions so far:

* Zimzalabim, MV and song *
    When I have the time, I will usually give songs I'm interested in several listens. In my experience it'll give me a more thorough impression of the song; with follow ups you'll often notice details that you missed the first time.
    Especially with a non-standard song like Zimzalabim such an approach often pays off. After a couple rewatches, I'm left with mixed feelings: there's elements in it that I really liked, and some not so much...
    What I really liked was the MV and the build up: especially the second half of the song, the song really lifts off. What people didn't notice, but 'Zimzalabim' gave Joy the chance to shine with leading into the vocal break, Wendy was given the dance break and both showed off their vocal and dance skills magnanimously. What I also really liked was Wendy's vocal rise to the high note, the 3rd 'zimzalabim' chorus that was I think in major in contrast with the former 'zimzalabim' choruses that seemed in minor, and the 'nanana' at the end.
    All this was in the 2nd half of the song, like said, that was when the song fully came into its own and paid off the anticipation.
    What I didn't like was the first 2 'zimzalabim' choruses and some of the transitions, I think they were too harsh.

If I'd produced the song, I'd have that 2nd half be a larger part of the song, I'd have the 2nd 'zimzalabim' sound more upbeat like the last chorus instead of the same as the 1st time, I'd have added 1 more 'nananana hey' chorus and I'd have smoothened some of the transitions more - because I liked that the song had so many different parts and was completely unpredictable, but again, some of these transitions could've been better imo.
    What I also liked, they subbed the MV! What RV often have in their songs and what I like is that they often have inspirational messages among all the kpop catchiness, like this time:

After chasing anything thing thing,
    don’t get burnt out
    If you only just sit and wish wish wish for it,
    it won’t come true
    Take a look at your true self self self,
    see what you really want...

Look at your eyes filled with hope
    (They’re shining like a gem)
    Oh don’t wander aimlessly so far away
    (You’re dazzling, smile more brightly)
    The dream is inside you...

I kinda like stuff like that, it reminds me of how SNDS debuted with sort of an inspirational mission statement with Into The New World that later became an anthem.

Likes: Joy's vocal break (2;17), Wendy's dance break (2:03), Wendy's rise to high note (2:32), 3rd/last 'zimzalabim' chorus + 'nananana hey' follow up, the lyrics
    Dislikes: first 2 'Zimzalabim' choruses, some of the hard transitions

Overall, 'Zimzalabim' won't end up in my top Red Velvet songs, but I actually enjoyed it, I expect it to end up somewhere in the middle of RV title songs (maybe upper middle).

[​IMG]

* Performances *

So far Red Velvet performed Zimzalabim and Sunny Side Up. What immediately jumps out is that where as Zimzalabim feels like RV's Red side, Sunny Side Up feels more like the Velvet side of RV's songs: more in the line of Bad Boy, Be Natural and Automatic, it has that same chill vibe.
    Sunny Side Up also has the better styling, outfits and choreo imo, the RV members look absolutely amazing.
    All the girls have their moments, but so far it's Joy and Wendy that really shine with this comeback:

Joy: last year you could sometimes see the hurt in Joy's expression in unguarded moments. Maybe all the negative bashing she suffered at the first half of 2018 had gotten to her, maybe it was something else, but it was noticeable in her performances. It seems she has had time to heal though, because with this comeback she just blazes like the sun. Her charm is full on active, she looks happy and energetic while performing, she really catches attention while performing and it feels you can drown in her eyes when she looks in the camera.

Wendy: I think I've figured out what makes Wendy look so excellent while performing these days. It's her poses. She already said last year how dancing has become 1 of her large passions and that she has grown to really enjoy it, and it shows. These days when you see her perform, she looks really confident and comfortable on stage, when she dances, it looks like she dances with her full body, her entire body moves in tune/in sync (in layman's terms, I'm not a dance expert), her moves are sharp and clean, her poses are often the most powerful and attention drawing among the group, and her gestures and expressions complement them very well.
    Taken it all together, Wendy has become a consistent, really strong performer, and has more and more moments that she manages to outshine even Seulgi when it comes to charisma and stage presence on stage.
    On top of that, her figure and looks are amazing these days. When I see her perform, I think 'all that sass'.

[​IMG]

For some reason the youtube performance videos on the official channels aren't really the best quality, so that explains some of the messy quality of some of the gifs. Apologies for that.

Zimzalabim - Music Bank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sunny Side Up - Music Bank

Zimzalabim - Music Core
    [​IMG]
    Sunny Side Up - Music Core
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sunny Side Up - Inkigayo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far, my favorite performance was the Sunny Side Up performance at Music Core. But I'd recommend people not to sleep on any of the Sunny Side Up performances.

Also, for Joy fans and those curious to see how Joy's like with this comeback (spoiler: she's mesmerizing :D):

* Achievements * *updated*

Since that the site OH has crashed, I miss an easy go-to site to check up on achievements of the various groups. So I'm not really up-to-date on how Zimzalabim's doing, compared with former comebacks.
    But I did learn about the following achievements:
    highest 24h views for Red Velvet: I think Zimzalabim had something like 11 mln views, where as their highest up till now was 7-8 mln?
    #1 on US iTunes, first kpop gg (also 2 days #1 world wide): not sure how it was with former comebacks or fomer groups, but that's nice.
    highest first day hanteo sales for RV: they had like 50k, if I read it correctly.
    3rd GG with the biggest 1st day sales
    5th song with the most UL in one hour by a GG since 2017
    4th Kpop album GG with the most #1 on itunes
    Highest 1st week Hanteo sales for RV

If people have more information, feel free to post. Like I mentioned, without easy go-to sites I'm sorta out of touch regarding achievements, current and their former comeback records.

* Album *
    It's not a large album, it only has 6 songs: Zimzalabim, Sunny Side Up, Milkshake, Bing Bing, Parade, LP.
    SSU and LP sound really chill and 'velvety', and maybe that's why I like them the most. The other songs are more uptempo, but I enjoyed the entire album. In my opinion, the 2nd half of Zimzalabim surpasses all the other songs; if the entire Zimzalabim song would've been like the 2nd half, it would've been an instant-classic to me.
    As it stands now, this is my ranking: SSU > LP/Zimzalabim > Parade > Milkshake/Bing Bing (might change over time).

Conclusion
    I like ReVe festival, part 1: the Zimzalabim MV looks impressive and RV-brand quirky, the B-sides are a great listen, I enjoyed the performances and particularly the Sunny Side Up styling and outfits looked smashing, the whole vibe around Sunny Side Up reminded me of Bad Boy. And I also really like Zimzalabim due to all those little highlights (Wendy's high note, build up towards the final act, vocal intermezzo led by Joy, the high energy etc) that are mixed in; there's some elements that prevent it (eg. 1st two 'Zimzalabim' choruses), else the song would've ended up in my top favorites.
    But what I enjoyed the most was how the RV members are with this comeback: Joy and Wendy really seem to take the crown with this comeback (they're fabulous!), but each member has their moments to shine, even Yeri who I usually notice less had some 'wow' moments now that made me pay attention.

I understand that this is just the first act of a comeback trilogy: if so, I think RV stans are in for a treat :)

So, what are your impressions of RV's comeback so far? What did you like, what didn't you like? Feel free to discuss.

#1 Zenning, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Kourtmehh, khatimatun, cp26 and 13 others like this.
  2. SooYoung

SooYoung GG Trash

Currency:
    ☼ Be a slave for Sooyoung, Kun and Hayoung ☼
    ☼ In the dungeon throwing a party with SMNGG ☼
    4th GG with the biggest 1st day sales
    first Kpop GG to be #1 on US itunes album chart and 5th overall in the world
    highest first week sales
    5th song with the most UL in one hour by a GG since 2017
    4th Kpop album GG with the most #1 on itunes

3. Rand_Al_Thor

Rand_Al_Thor Leader

Currency:
    I dislike the dirty base early, like it in the dance break. I think it hurts the listen-ability of the song.

Love the album its looped on spotify and i just listed to it like 8 times this morning its very nice.

cp26, Zenning, suprememadisyn and 2 others like this.
  4. Rand_Al_Thor

Rand_Al_Thor Leader

Currency:
    i thought it made world number 1 album on itunes.?

Whodatwhodatboy and Zenning like this.
  5. Hallybell

Hallybell Leader

Currency:
    A great thread as usual. I actually agre with you. I am not a fan of Irene and Yeri rap in this song but overall I love it and it’s in the middle of my top Red Velvet title tracks too.

The girls stage presence is like you described it even if the hate about it has always been exagereated anyways.

6. soonayo

soonayo Rookie

Currency:
    For me.. Listening as a whole album feels very great.. It feels like I'm on a roller coaster ride..
    Also, idk if anyone notices but there is a sound of elevator opening at the end of LP.. They got into the elevator in ZZB but never got out.. So, that got me thinking that all the 6 songs of this EP are connected!!?? :confused:

Yes..
    No. 1 album on iTunes Worldwide for 2 days..
    No. 1 album on iTunes US..
    3rd GG with the biggest Day 1 sales..

Whodatwhodatboy and Rand_Al_Thor like this.
  7. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Currency:
    Ok, nice! ReVe Festival actually had the highest hanteo 1st week sales for RV ever?!

• Ice Cream Cake: 17,181
    • The Red: 22,045
    • The Velvet: 33,190
    • Russian Roulette: 23,970
    • Rookie: 34,127
    • The Red Summer: 32,629
    • Perfect Velvet: 49,485
    • The Perfect Red Velvet: 31,768
    • Summer Magic: 53,800
    • RBB: 41,554
    • The ReVe Festival Day1 — 71,431 !
    Congrats, RV girls :cool:

Thanks for the info, I've updated it into the OP.

8. Zenning

Zenning Public Figure

Currency:
    I know, they're great on stage, and it's great to see how several members are really blossoming up with this comeback :)

Also, did you already see this?

concert hall size Zimzalabim dance practice :D

Rand_Al_Thor and Hallybell like this.
  9. Hallybell

Hallybell Leader

Currency:
    Yes it’s powerful.

Rand_Al_Thor likes this.
  10. Whodatwhodatboy

Whodatwhodatboy Trainee

Currency:
    At first i wasn’t sure. I loved most parts it was just the chorus. The dance, the outfits and the MV I absolutely always loved I don’t understand how people don’t but I guess they just want them to perform a circus/carnival themed concept in a tennis skirt and crop top tf?? The chorus has grown on me and I LOVE it now!! So happy that the girls are happy and hands down my fave red album and my 2nd fave album from them EVER. So glad they did a festival concept!! Thanks for putting the ‘for fans’ cuz I’m sick of people who don’t really know red velvet that well be like “I’m so disappointed...bring bad boy back.”

11. calamity12

calamity12 Trainee

Currency:
    Had a lot of fun from the start.
    I liked teasers, concept, then mv and the album. ZZB isn't going to be my favourite song in the world, however I do sincerely think that it's really fun summer song. It's catchy and bright, decent choice for party playlist.

I also liked promotions a lot. I think girls improved their stage presence so much - all of them were literally glowing all the way despite being tired and overworked. I'm also happy that they've got so many wins.

Overall I'm satisfied. Waiting for my albums to be delivered

12. Kourtmehh

Kourtmehh Super Rookie

Currency:
    donghyuck
    Zimzalabim was alright, i'll bop out to it since it's iconic and fun to sing along to. I absolutely love the b-sides... bing bing, milkshake, parade, sunny side up, lp.... just... the best album by far after perfect velvet.......i love it.

13. Kura2654

Kura2654 Rookie

Currency:
    <3

Zenning likes this.