First Image from “GHOST IN THE SHELL” Live Action Film Released

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by mirusako, Apr 15, 2016.

1. findtheakarun

findtheakarun Super Rookie

Currency:
    Professional Sassybish
    Honestly I've always wondered if anime characters are actually intended to *be* Asian or if they're some sort of supermix of traits from all over the place and just happen to have been born in Japan.

2. Lemondolly

Lemondolly Rookie

Currency:
    Chicken Wing
    I feel like most anime characters are meant to be Asian based on their names. Usually, at least from what I've seen watching anime, the anime will specify if the character is a different race based on names/region/characters themselves saying "Hey, I'm (insert race)." Even those ones with pink/blue/green/whatever unnatural color of hair I think are supposed to be Japanese, as well.
    For example, Attack on Titan, many know this one. They made sure to specify that Mikasa was Japanese since the rest of the characters were pretty obviously white.
    They have those medieval animes, too, where they specifically use names to help set the region. :)

3. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
    (Sign) whatever there's no point in me arguing with you. Don't seem like you're understanding me and and I'm kind of understanding you. And like I said literally you can look it up on YouTube Jesus Christ are you even reading what I'm saying!!!!! (Like the pictures weren't enough proof). I do care about asian representation, I think they should have roles and and there's definitely whitewashing in Hollywood. But I still find it strange people were so easy to accept Zac Efron but refused to cast Scarlett Johansson.( when they're both White!!!!) And did you watch the whole video??? He talks more on why there isn't an Asian person playing the roll......
    And I feel like I can express most of my opinions once the trailer comes out.

#23 VIPFFORLIFe101, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  4. Presh

Presh Newbie

Currency:
    I am reading what you are saying but are you understanding my points?

A couple of pictures and some comments on youtube is by no means any kind of proof that the majority of the anime fandom approved of the idea of Zac Efron as Light Yagami. It is not even proof of more than just Zac Efron + Anime fans speaking only.

The very same people who are complaining about ScarJo likely would have complained about Efron, and the same people who wanted Efron could well be the people like yourself who are fine with the ScarJo casting decision. There is zero evidence in any of this than any person who has complained about ScarJo is a person who was specifically fine with the idea of Zac Efron. There is no evidence of hypocrisy here as it stands. Its almost the same as the video showing one screen capture of a single Japanese persons opinion and saying "The Japanese are fine with it" as though that one article lists the opinion of every single living person of Japanese descent.

You cannot generalise the opinion of the entire community like this as that it is across the board and total fact and expect me to agree with it as a valid argument.

5. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
    That Japanese person was the publisher of Ghost in the Shell...( not saying that he represents the people in Japan) like I said before I feel like I can stay more of my opinions once the trailer comes out. Still don't agree with you on some parts but I do understand where you're coming from. Like I said I do not support live actions I honestly dislike them. I guess for now we can just assume that she's Japanese even tho she doesn't have a ethnicity...(cyborg)
    Just like how Goku and Superman doesn't doesn't have ethnicity anybody can be them. Like literally there's even a Chinese and a black Superman.
    http://nextshark.com/dc-comics-new-super-man-kenan-kong-shanghai/
    http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Calvin_Ellis
    And please rewatch this video and look at the comments( a better understanding from where I'm coming from and other people's opinions)

Speaking for himself and some people from anime community.
    And I can also say that judging from the Scandal about the CGI. They also thought the main character was Asian too( judging from the CGI scandal) There's no excuse for what they did about the CGI. Now that I'm thinking about it now, it's weird how they also thought she was Asian too but didn't hire a Japanese actress to play her. I find that one sad and disgusting. So now I totally understand why you're pissed off.
    Right now I'm on three sides. The first side yes it would be nice if they could cast an Asian person (Japanese in specific). Because that would make sense to story.
    There should be diversity in movies.
    Second side- people should concentrate more on story and setting because that mostly impacts the whole movie not the casting but the story and setting. And I Feel Like Scarlett Johansson will do a good job playing this character.
    Third side- I feel like no one could put justice into live actions. I think anime should just stay as anime.
    So I stand by my mixed feelings

#25 VIPFFORLIFe101, Apr 23, 2016
  6. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
    One question have you seen the show? And what about the people who are non Asians Who cosplay as the main character? Should they not cosplay Mitkoto? Is this considered bad? Is this considered yellow face? ghost_in_the_shell__arise_cosplay_by_silhouettedamour-d9kei4r.jpg
    7eR6RXR.jpg

#26 VIPFFORLIFe101, Apr 23, 2016
  7. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
    Exactly that's what I'm saying. That could be the case. And anime names are not even Japanese names lol

#27 VIPFFORLIFe101, Apr 23, 2016
  8. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
    Some anime names are not even Japanese names. They're literally made up names. Proof for that

They're just made up names. For example Mikasa is not even a real Japanese name it's named after a BATTLESHIP. Names like Ichigo, Naruto, and Vegeta are not real Japanese names!!!!!

#28 VIPFFORLIFe101, Apr 23, 2016
  9. Lemondolly

Lemondolly Rookie

Currency:
    Chicken Wing
    For Mikasa, I wasn't talking about her name. I said that the other characters specified that she was Japanese.
    But I get what you mean about the made up, though. I didn't know that!!! Lol

VIPFFORLIFe101 likes this.
  10. chirel

chirel Super Rookie

Currency:
    Personally, I'm not supporting the movie even though I love ghost in the shell. I think it's ridiculous to cast a white actress as a Japanese character and then go the extra mile to digitally change her to look more Asian. Hollywood tomfoolery at it's finest.