First Image from “GHOST IN THE SHELL” Live Action Film Released

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by mirusako, Apr 15, 2016.

1. mirusako

mirusako Idol

Currency:
    Sailor Scout
    PARAMOUNT PICTURES AND DREAMWORKS PICTURES’ “GHOST IN THE SHELL” IS IN PRODUCTION IN NEW ZEALAND

[​IMG]

PARAMOUNT PICTURES

Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures have announced that production is underway on “GHOST IN THE SHELL,” starring Scarlett Johansson (“AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON,” “LUCY”) and directed by Rupert Sanders (“SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN”). The film is shooting in Wellington, New Zealand.

Paramount Pictures will release the film in the U.S. on March 31, 2017.

The film, which is based on the famous Kodansha Comics manga series of the same name, written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow, is produced by Avi Arad (“THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1 & 2,” “IRON MAN”), Ari Arad (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”), and Steven Paul (“GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE”). Michael Costigan (“PROMETHEUS”), Tetsu Fujimura (“TEKKEN”), Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, whose animation studio Production I.G produced the Japanese "GHOST IN THE SHELL” film and television series, and Jeffrey Silver (“EDGE OF TOMORROW,” “300”) will executive produce.

Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, “GHOST IN THE SHELL” follows the Major, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9. Devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, Section 9 is faced with an enemy whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka Robotic’s advancements in cyber technology.

“We are so pleased to be in Wellington to shoot ‘GHOST IN THE SHELL,’” said producers Avi Arad, Ari Arad, Michael Costigan and Jeffrey Silver. “The city boasts state-of-the-art production facilities and a rich urban landscape that make it an ideal setting for a sci-fi action film. The crew-base in New Zealand working on the film is first class, and working with Sir Richard Taylor and the team at Weta Workshop is inspirational on every level. The people of New Zealand have been terrific partners in helping us bring this story and its beloved characters to audiences around the world and we are thankful for their continued hospitality.”

Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures have entered into a marketing agreement with the New Zealand Film Commission (NZFC), Tourism New Zealand (TNZ), Callaghan Innovation and the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) which recognizes the significant economic, cultural and industry development benefits the production will bring to New Zealand. The collaboration will further promote New Zealand’s growing screen industry, develop local talent and showcase New Zealand to the rest of the world.

“The production will broaden the perceptions of the diversity of New Zealand’s locations by showcasing a science fiction urban setting in New Zealand,” says Dave Gibson NZFC Chief Executive.

Tourism New Zealand’s Chief Executive Kevin Bowler said: “Tourism New Zealand is thrilled to be working with Paramount Pictures for the first time on ‘GHOST IN THE SHELL.’ Film tourism is an important element in Tourism New Zealand’s work to inspire people to visit New Zealand and we look forward to this new opportunity to showcase New Zealand to the rest of the world.”

The cast of “GHOST IN THE SHELL” includes Beat Takeshi Kitano (“MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. LAWRENCE,” “BATTLE ROYALE” series) as Daisuke Aramaki, Juliette Binoche (“THE ENGLISH PATIENT,” “CHOCOLAT”) as Dr. Ouelet, Michael Pitt (“Hannibal,” “Boardwalk Empire”) as Kuze, Pilou Asbæk (“BEN-HUR,” “LUCY”) as Batou, and Kaori Momoi (“MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA,” “HONG KONG CONFIDENTIAL”). The members of Section 9 are played by Chin Han (“INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE”), Danusia Samal (“Tyrant”), Lasarus Ratuere (“Terra Nova”), Yutaka Izumihara (“UNBROKEN”) and Tuwanda Manyimo (“THE ROVER”).

The film’s crew includes Cinematographer Jess Hall (“THE SPECTACULAR NOW”), Editor Neil Smith (“SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN”), Production Designer Jan Roelfs (“FAST & FURIOUS 6”), and Costume Designers Kurt Swanson and Bart Mueller (“THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY – PARTS 1& 2”).

=

2. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
    I have mixed feelings for this.....

Lemondolly likes this.
  3. Presh

Presh Newbie

Currency:
    Ok, so I had to calm down before I could reply to this in a short amount of words.

Is it not bad enough they are whitewashing the movies. Do they HAVE to whitewash Japanese people as well. Haven't they done enough damage to Asian self image?

Honestly this would have been less offensive if they had changed her name..

Lemondolly likes this.
  4. nanuk

nanuk Trainee

Currency:
    why is she white tho

5. nothinbutmadness

Currency:
    Now we are asking the real questions.

Lemondolly likes this.
  6. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:

All credit to owner
    It's funny how people are so quick to judge, when they haven't seen the trailer.

7. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
  8. mirusako

mirusako Idol

Currency:
    Sailor Scout

I'm not going to play the race or ethnic card here because that's always a touchy and sensitive subject.
    Nobody ever wins.

My only issue is that I'm just simply not too happy that a live action film is being made at all.
    Hollywood can be total sh*t when it comes to most remakes of films.

Death Note and Akira have been rumored for years now that Hollywood was planning on doing US remakes and that actually pisses me off because I don't want them butchering an awesome series or film...which is why I'm a little worried about this film.

Edit: And I'm sure a lot of ppl will say that they already did butcher the movie by casting a white actress to play Motoko, but idk what to say about that because, again, that's a sensitive topic.
    =

#8 mirusako, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    VIPFFORLIFe101 likes this.
  9. mirusako

mirusako Idol

Currency:
    Sailor Scout
    They probably will now...

10. ashleymarie

ashleymarie Celebrity

Currency:
    Lemondolly likes this.
  11. mirusako

mirusako Idol

Currency:
    Sailor Scout
  12. Presh

Presh Newbie

Currency:
    It is.. They admitted to it but after the test was done the idea was rejected..

I'm fucking done with this.. Hollywood is so fucking archaric it actually thought digital yellowface was the solution..

Dear Hollywood. The whitewashing problem is not because your white actors don't look asian enough. kthxbai.

Lemondolly likes this.
  13. Presh

Presh Newbie

Currency:
    The watchability of the movie itself is not the issue here so the trailer is irrelevant.

Kusanagi Motoko is Japanese.

Try this video, an actual Asian actors experience trying to be cast as Light in Death Note, instead of the couple of random youtubers opinions.

However on that, ScarJo being in there actually looks badly on the movie. They expect to be able to bring in people on her star power alone. This bodes badly for the film. They're not counting on the core fandom of GITS because they have ScarJo. So if something about the story will play better for more bang to the random joe thats never seen it before if they change it... then they'll change it.

They've shown its just a cash cow by going for the bankable white actress. Like Xmen showed everyone with its mainstream targeted rewrite, the story will suffer.

ilovekpop909 likes this.
  14. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
    I get your point. IDK man.... It's fucked up that they tried to make her asian. Hollywood is messed up. And I'm sorry that guy have to experience that.

Lemondolly likes this.
  15. Presh

Presh Newbie

Currency:
    It does suck.. I dunno how to feel any more. Like all the casting coming out from Death Note is white, I'm only seeing bit parts for them here. It would be nice if for once they could be a hero too.. Especially if they're taking our stories to make money from..

16. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
    You know what I find weird. When people heard death note was going to have live action in Hollywood, people wanted zac efron to play light.(before he looked like him) f1448394e9bc57d1f806beb075620425.jpg aef36bd650a0b0_full.jpg maxresdefault.jpg
    Zac efron is a white right? But no one complained. Find it strange that no one complained about zac efron playing light yagami, but complained about Scarlett Johansson. Anime fans were also okay with Hilary Duff to play misa. My question is how is that people were fine with Zac efron playing light but, not okay with Scarlett Johansson? I'm confused.

#16 VIPFFORLIFe101, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  17. Presh

Presh Newbie

Currency:
    Well to fix your confusion quickly... People are different. There is every chance that a bunch of zac efron fans did what him to play Light Yagami. I certainly wasn't one of them.

Its kinda like saying "I don't understand why SNSD has hate. People say they like them. How can they like them and hate them at the same time? I'm confused."

Would be the same with Hilary Duff. Both are teen icons of that generation so yeah, when those generations are just used to seeing white faces on TV and have almost no exposure to Asian faces to even have an Asian icon to choose, you'd probably expect them to pick two of their faves in the roles and that those faves would be white.

Some people even actually see Anime characters as being 'drawn white'. This is a culture thing. To them, white is the default human.

There are many reasons. Because a bunch of 15yo anime fans with a thing for Zac Efron wanted to see him in the role of a Japanese man, did not mean all anime fans did, did not mean all people did and certainly does not suddenly make it okay to keep whitewashing Asian's out of their own stories.

18. katahtattat

Currency:
    personally im not so hung up on race unless it's essential to the character's experience.
    The sad thing is this movie probably wouldn't have a chance to be made without Scarlet J. in the lead with the investment system in hollywood now days

VIPFFORLIFe101 likes this.
  19. VIPFFORLIFe101

VIPFFORLIFe101 Trainee

Currency:
    .......I don't know.....I still find it strange that the majority agreed with Zac Efron playing as light but don't approve this.( like literally you can look it up on YouTube) And before I go, I want to say that I do not support live action. I feel like there's no actresses or actors that can play an anime character.(I have no idea what people are saying anime characters look white, when they look like nobody.That seriously irritates me) And I hope they don't make a naruto live action because that will irritate me and piss me off. Like seriously even the live-actions on YouTube are better!!

#19 VIPFFORLIFe101, Apr 22, 2016
  20. Presh

Presh Newbie

Currency:
    Majority is a big claim though.. Anime has a massive following around the world and they're equally as upset over the white washing of death note with Nat Wolff as Light Yagami. So I am unsure why you seem to be suggesting that there is no backlash over the idea of white casting in Death Note because there is a lot...

http://www.themarysue.com/death-note-whitewashing/
    http://www.dailydot.com/geek/death-note-margaret-qualley-misa-casting-backlash/
    http://www.deathnotenews.com/news/adam-wingard-takes-stick-for-white-washing-death-note-us-movie
    http://sciencefiction.com/2015/11/16/fans-furious-whitewashing-u-s-adaptation-death-note/
    http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/death-note-casting-whitewashing-claims/
    http://www.sheknows.com/entertainme...rden-cho-whitewashed-death-note-movie-casting
    https://www.change.org/p/warner-brothers-stop-white-washing-the-american-death-note-adaption

I mean this is honestly the first time I've ever heard the claim that Zac Efron looks like Light anyway.

The Akira movie plan was even canned because of the fact its core fanbase wasn't going to go anywhere near it with an all white cast.
    And the whole Japanese are okay with it thing. Hideaki Anno stopped giving rights to the Evangelion Live Action movie after the unbelievable amount of whitewashing the studio and weta were doing to the characters.

And tbh if you don't care about the under-representation of Asian actors in Asian stories then that doesn't mean that it is suddenly okay.

The really stupid thing about his "get them to take on more Asian oriented stories that would give them more opportunities for Asian representation"... well this is the whole problem.. How exactly is that going to happen when Asian oriented stories are having white actors taking over Asian roles like this? This is exactly what we are trying to say in the first place..

#20 Presh, Apr 22, 2016
    Lemondolly likes this.