Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Fandoms ruined it for me

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by bangmenah, Oct 12, 2017.

1. bangmenah

bangmenah Artist

are there any groups you can’t get into because the fandom is too much?

I can’t put work into a lot of boy groups because their fandoms give me anxiety and turn me off a LOT. I know like 300 people will say “my fandom is a lot but not ALL army’s/exols” like I get it but it’s your reputation now because of the majority, not the minority.

That being said it gives me anxiety to try to like EXO or BTS cause y’all is crazy

2. Ineul_Ze

Ineul_Ze Star

I don’t think people realize that sometimes a fandom is a legitimate reason for not stanning or getting into a group, it’s why I don’t really blame those who are afraid of getting into EXO because of the fandom reputation. Like I said once in the BT, shit happens - not everyone can ignore the fandom like others can or even I can.

But I don’t think a fandom has ever kept me from getting into a group, but they have caused me to distance myself from the group. I only talk to a few select people about the group these days.

3. bangmenah

bangmenah Artist

What’s BT? People always talking about this and i don’t know it

FranF45 and Ineul_Ze like this.
  4. PopCandy

PopCandy Artist

nope, that used to be my case with ikon but I decided to give them a chance anyway and I'm really glad I did because the boys are awesome. And I have found some cool ikonics too, I just try to avoid the drama.

5. Ineul_Ze

Ineul_Ze Star

Bashing Thread. It’s a toxic thread, I wouldn’t advise visiting or using it. ^^

6. centen

centen Artist

There are groups I love and support almost as much as my FTI bbs despite the fact that the fandom gives me so much second-hand embarrassment. There are groups where the fandom has diminished the fun I have with the group, and I eventually stopped following the group as much. I don't see a problem with not wanting to associate yourself with people who act in a way that you don't want to act.

And on the flip side, there are some groups with reputations for bad fandoms who I've never once had a bad encounter with their fans. I remember Sones used to get a lot of shit, but I mostly associate them with @emanresu10's undying love for Yoona now, lol.

7. Yabie

Yabie Star

not really.

what fans have to do with the music my group releases . yeah. nothing lol
    get off social media and you won't see or hear anything if fandoms bother you

Person24, Sel97 and evee127 like this.
  8. winkwink

winkwink Artist

I think you're missing out if you don't like a group because they have disagreeable fans. If you don't want to be part of the fandom, you don't have to participate, but you can still enjoy the music.

I don't dislike any fandoms but if I did, I would just ignore them and listen to what I want to listen to.

9. mwtch

mwtch Super Rookie

i don't wholly subscribe to distancing oneself from an artist or group because of their fandom. artists or groups can't be culpable for the behavior of their fans, unless they mirror the same behavior.

e.g i have openly expressed disappointment with wannables, but only for their tendency to harm their idols in the process of "adoring" them. otherwise, wanna one's music is what keeps me from being a fan.

there are many groups i listen to that have purportedly insufferable fanbases such blackpink, exo and twice. i don't really feel like they do because i just don't engage any kind of fanhive activities.

if i did, i would have given up on a group like super junior back in like 2013 lawl.

emanresu10 and soshilovelife like this.
  10. Abeamus

Abeamus Star

I think what some people don't get is part of music is sharing what you like with other people and fandoms make this easier to do because you know this person likes that group and you see people who act immature in a fandom and suddenly your interest lowers because you don't want to interact with those people.

11. Vivian_KL

Vivian_KL Artist

^^^^^

soshilovelife and Ineul_Ze like this.
  12. Vivian_KL

Vivian_KL Artist

THIS

FranF45, soshilovelife and Ineul_Ze like this.
  13. Ineul_Ze

Ineul_Ze Star

That’s another really good point ^^

14. soshilovelife

A fandom has never stopped me from getting into a group, their music has.

But fandoms have ruined comebacks for me,I must admit

15. emanresu10

emanresu10 Star

Just doing my part to make this world a positive place!

:)

16. elly2k

elly2k Entertainer

I don't identify myself with any fandoms nor do I get involve on any level.

I'm just here for the music.

17. vivante

vivante Artist

bts. tbh I don't really like their music either, but their fans keep shoving them in my feed 24/7 and it's just too much

FranF45 likes this.
  18. Mootae

Mootae Artist

Say us. :D

I cackle at these things now! :p

19. risingtaeyang

risingtaeyang Entertainer

Learn to differentiate.
    Every groups has shit fans - I find tons of VIPs and ARMYs that bug the crap out of me.
    I mind my own business, stan to the extent I want and truly enjoy the groups I like.
    Don't do yourself a disservice by avoiding a group because of their fans, you might be missing out on some great groups.

20. chythong

chythong Trainee

Yes and no, but I do get what you're saying though. As an relatively older Kpop fan (only 23), I've been into Korean music strictly for the music because when I was young, I wondered why there were no Asians like myself in the music scene in America. So I had to go to Japan, South Korea, and for a time, China (Jay Chou, Fahrenheit). But as time passed, the Kpop experience changed especially with this new generation of Kpop fans. I was into Kpop when the big acts were Big Bang, Super Junior, TVXQ/DBSK (OT), Wonder Girls, 2PM, etc. The fans were still crazy back then but they weren't batshit insane (or maybe it's just more publicized these days since social media exploded).

Like honestly I didn't even realized how big EXO had gotten (during "Growl" promotions) or how big BTS had gotten ("Dope") until their fans started spewing stuff onto social media or the comment sections of videos. Like I don't remember "winning #1" being a huge deal or "let's reach 1 million views in 24 hours" being a thing, and to this day I honestly don't understand it.

However, I will get into new group regardless of their fanbase if I really like their music. Weirdly enough, the new idol groups I do end up getting into usually wind up having a chill fanbase. Pentagon's Universe (though the fandom is still growing), BtoB's Melody, Winner's Inner Circle.