Exo VS SM

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by sonemariam, Mar 21, 2018.

?

Choose one most important thing that an agency can offer an idol?

1. Best working conditions

2. Best promotions even out of Korea

3. Once in while comebacks but with good working conditions.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    What is the best thing that and idol can get from their agency, something that can help the idol do well even for a long time?

Choose one thing that you'd want if you were an idol in an agency.

1. Best working conditions with mediocre promotions.
    2. Best promotions under not so good conditions.
    3. Once in a while promotions in good working conditions.

Agencies manage idols differently and some idols do well while others don't. So what's that one thing that an idol can get and do well no matter what?

2. Belgian_ELF

Belgian_ELF Elite

Currency:
    professional Taeyong worshipper
    I think promo's is the key to success in this business

3. Yabie

Yabie Star

Currency:
    working conditions.

once you start working irl you will see how important that is, if you dont want stress to eat your body
    if you want long term success you need to be healthy to do so.

randomstrang3r and sonemariam like this.
  4. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    Right, but you should keep in mind that good working conditions don't keep you doing well for a long time. Instead good promotions keep you doing well even for a long time.

5. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    Me too. Best promotions guarantee success but different people prefer different things.

Belgian_ELF likes this.
  6. Yabie

Yabie Star

Currency:
    you said whats most important LONG TERM. thats 10-20 years+ for me
    for someone whos experienced very bad working conditions in very successful company and that took a toll on my health i will still choose working conditions.

if you have good working conditions that means you got healthy relationship with your teamworkers
    and teamwork makes the dream work as someone once said :)

7. hamster37

hamster37 Rookie

Currency:
    I think it is better for better promotions with not so good working conditions (ofc not to the extent where they are risking their lives) but i dont think any kpop artist wont want to be successful after all the hardwork they have put in

sonemariam likes this.
  8. Suzan

Suzan Elite

Currency:
    I understand that good promotions is key to success in this indistry, but even knowing that, I would pick best working conditions honestly. I don’t care if they have a comeback once every year as long as they’re healthy and happy. Health comes above everything else for me. What’s the point of overworking to the point that they’re unhealthy and as a result unhappy? But then again, idols that don’t get to regularly promote often complain and express their unhappiness too. I’d say somewhere in the middle where they get to promote often but also in good working conditions so they get to rest often as well. Sounds unrealistic but it’s what I would want.

randomstrang3r, Yabie and sonemariam like this.
  9. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    You are very right.

However, I feel like what you are saying best applies to other qualifications but not working as an idol.

First of all, there has to be team work between the idol and company staff for an idol just to debut.

I'm talking about an idol like Exo and a company like SM. So the conditions have to be between Exo and SM that makes the contracts and policies but not the managers and other staff who also just follow orders from above.

And I agree that good health enables one work for a long time, however, good promotions guarantee success for long time under any working conditions good or bad.

10. Nicklaus

Nicklaus EXO Trash + XiuChen Shipper

Currency:
    Promotions for me. Good working conditions are nice, but they don't mean much if the company doesn't promote you *cough* SM *cough*

Blacknwhite and sonemariam like this.
  11. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    True, but what agency offers that? None!

12. Yabie

Yabie Star

Currency:
    yeah under SM aswell i mean
    its that kind of company that you already have a brand power behind your name. but if u got a good working conditions and good relationship with others, that means you can express yourself as an artists.

good conditions- > freedom over what you release, when you release and where you release.
    bad conditions - > company is in control over your artistry, including your promos.

do you want to just sing, or do you want to make your music?
    if i were a musician, i'd still want to promote my own music and not just sing.

so i guess its going to depend on person and their individual wishes.

randomstrang3r and sonemariam like this.
  13. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    That's why much as SM is so bad that it gets sued forever, to me, they are the best company because idols are promoted well and given many good opportunities which allows them to grow and succeed.

14. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    True, that's why trainees have to agree to the conditions before signing contracts to debut.

Having control over what music is released in most cases is hard because it may not be well received by the listeners and yet, the company signs one for profit. So if you are not going to make profit for the company, then why did they sign you up? That's why they always dictate on what to release.

And I think SM let's their idols take some control of their solo releases, I guess, you have to improve to get a solo album, then you can also write and compose songs which I think is fair.

Therefore, you are right, it depends on what you want as an individual.

15. Yabie

Yabie Star

Currency:
    they should sign up those with potential and desire, there are things called portfolios in other artistic areas aswell.
    companies dont hire someone who just wanna become an artist, but those who they see potential in.

and their job is to develop their skills and later on make them be able to stand on their own and produce fully their own products.
    in ideal world it should be the same with all music.

but then again like we both agreed, it depends on individuals and what they want to become.
    because some people just wanna become famous, or they just wanna sing, or just dance, or just have money.

#15 Yabie, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    sonemariam likes this.
  16. sonemariam

sonemariam A-List

Currency:
    Idol
    Wait, I thought that's what companies do, don't they?

17. randomstrang3r

randomstrang3r Public Figure

Currency:
    Can I have both, good working condition and promotion? One of the company that I can think of is JYP.. I mean,, we don't see any JYP's (ex)artists sue them or complain that much. And their promotion are getting better. Just look at Twice. Many variety shows, their japanese promotions and I heard he even let the girls write sometimes.

But if I have to choose, I prefer good working condition. From a few months of my internship, I have realized how important it is to have a good working condition/environment.

sonemariam and Yabie like this.
  18. borabora_97

borabora_97 Super Rookie

Currency:
    as a musician myself i would do anything to sign to a good company. genuinely dont care much about working conditions, as long as no sponsors/prostitution. lots of promos are the key to success tbh

sonemariam likes this.
  19. rairte

rairte Rookie

Currency:
    Gardener
    Choose one most important thing that an agency can offer an idol?
    The agency can offer their expertise to help a raw talent/trainee realize their goal/vision/dream.
    For a current/active idol, good working conditions by meeting their basic needs. Keep them happy and make them feel that they are valued to increase productivity and morale.

What is the best thing that an idol can get from their agency, something that can help the idol do well even for a long time?
    - continuous development and improvement of their talents and skills
    - upskills

Choose one thing that you'd want if you were an idol in an agency.
    I am okay with any working conditions as long as promotions are strategically-planned so that everything is done efficiently and effectively.

sonemariam likes this.
  20. Yabie

Yabie Star

Currency:
    not in kpop
    where visuals are main factor, followed by dancing/singing. everything else is secondary.
    otherwise we'd see more of not so attractive talented musicians in Korea, which we don't see (or very rarely), especially not among idols.

sonemariam likes this.