NEW FORUMS OPEN HERE

Eman's Black Mamba Review

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by emanresu, Nov 17, 2020.

1. emanresu

emanresu Tzuyu Fanboy

Currency:
    Eman's Black Mamba Review

[​IMG]

Man I've had to watch this about 12 times.

There's so much going on with that video I had to repeat it so I could focus on different parts each time. It's so much at once

I actually really dig the song... Like damn I didn't expect it as this usually isn't my kind of style. I'm the guy that's into ballads and TWICE. But wow.

This is such a memorable song. And I mean that literally. Even if you may not even like it. It's the kind of song you can't mistake for another.

It's central chorus and surrounding structure all solidified around "black mamba"... This is the kind of of song that has an identity it weaves with its phrasing and repetition, digging into your ear so you can't mistake it for another.

It's very much branded in that way. Which is a good thing. Especially for a debut.

This ain't anyone elses song but AESPA's and they'll be known for it. Whether one likes it or not. It'll get the word out.

It's a driving high energy banger to announce AESPA on the scene.

As for the MV and aesthetic. A lot to take in At first I was overwhelmed. While I think the over the top kaleidescope of neon and scene changes makes a splashy statement and grabs attention. I think it actually could have benefited from reining it in ever so slightly and focusing a little more on a less frenetic visual style. They needed an editor to pare down to a more manageable visual narrative. We had snakes and trains and computers and rainbow neon and AI and red and black shadow rooms and a swan lake like ballet intro complete with Evil Dark Queen pause in the middle. It's all cranked up to an 11. When a 9 would have hit a sweet spot and I think.... Maybe not overwhelmed to that extent while still being a energetic aesthetic.

The central dance move where the camera swivels as they are on the ground swinging their legs in steps...... That was awesome. That will be their standout branded choreo section.

The rest though... Isn't as memorable. And had some really odd parts. Like the tiptoeing ballet like formation at the beginning that seemed out of place to the rest of the vibe. Black mamba ain't tiptoeing.

The members all looked great and did amazing. I won't comment at length on vocals as I'm not knowledgeable of that area but to my ears. They all sounded great and really fit the song.

As for overall presence of the members. I thought Karina did very well but perhaps didn't shine as much as her lead in promo might suggest she would have. She's often shown as the central focus and SM clearly wants to push her. But I think she's relying too much on her stoic bad queen aura regality to get her across. Hopefully she can let her personality come through more in the future. As for the others. They all did wonderful. Winter the standout visual. Giselle with confident attitude. And NingNing...... NingNing was was my personal fav. Perhaps because I wasn't expecting it. The girl has a spunky stage presence that shined in this. Bravo.

Overall I think this is a solid debut for them. It may not be everyone's cup of tea. But I think they put out a great driving banger with memorable central imagery that will help them "brand" this debut in the kpop scene.

I think it's a good base to grow from.

Hopefully it does well!

minafangirl, narucho, Eithra and 17 others like this.
  2. li-ghter

li-ghter Celebrity

Currency:
    who is your fav eman o,o im leaning towards giselle atm, i agree about karina not being able to really show herself too tbh, i guess since they are rookies, she tries hard to fit into aura she tries to show, as time passes i definitely think she will be more impactful o.o

emanresu likes this.
  3. BlackpinkHouse

Currency:
    Government - Top Secret
    Branding is so important to pop music. You have to stand out, especially in an industry that feels too copycatish at times. That's what makes BP what they are, they have a distinct sound and concept that no one else can pull off. Same with Twice.

And Aespa definitely did that with this debut.

Eithra, aespa-von and emanresu like this.
  4. ninichan

ninichan

Currency:
    it's like 15 concepts crushed into 1.
    badass + elven + color pop + neon + girl crush + all kinds of other stuff.
    it's not very well made, but the girls sort of pull it off.
    sm didn't manage to showcase much individuality with the shots. everyone had the same expressions when the camera zooms in. karina had no expression at all but her visuals let her pull it off, but someone else could've taken the centre during the chorus time and it would've hit harder.
    the cg was relatively cheap, especially for the fairy tree stuff, but the snake and ending part was well done.
    i wish the girls had radically different styles because i remember first seeing blackpink and being able to recognize jennie and lisa as fox eyes and bob hair, and soon enough i figured rose and jisoo out too.
    here i already knew the members, but it would be hard for a new stan to figure out the members other than karina, because her face shape itself is different from the others.

in conclusion its a 50-50 blop, the girls had way more potential, the song did not. any other group would not be able to make the mess of a song sound decent, but aespa sort of did. i hope the lore is well flushed out because that can tie this up real well

i still think they should've debuted with something minimal, along the lines of whistle or hann or even ice cream cake but the girls pulled it off and they definitely wont flop

#4 ninichan, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Selynn and emanresu like this.
  5. z1

z1 Celebrity

Currency:
    Student
    Edm and girl crush (?)

emanresu likes this.
  6. BlackpinkHouse

Currency:
    Government - Top Secret
    More like Blackpink on steroids, like a turbocharged version of the badass girl crush concept with their own unique twist (the AI stuff with a potential storyline to be fleshed out later).

emanresu likes this.
  7. z1

z1 Celebrity

Currency:
    Student
    It feels more like ITZY tbh. Maybe a more lighter version of ITZY bc they sing more. I still don't see any similarity to Blackpink. This song could never be a Bp song

8. SooYoung

SooYoung ☾☼♡ SoneLuv ♡☼☽

Currency:
    Citizen of My Soneluvcity
    Agree they really impose their style as a GG with just their debut

it's kind of girl crush colorful/dark , kind of tumblr ( the ningning scene really looked like a pic on tumblr) with some fantasy element

No GG do this kind of thing

it really make them stand out already

Eithra, emanresu and fishprincess7 like this.
  9. emanresu

emanresu Tzuyu Fanboy

Currency:
    Overall I'm not decided between Giselle, Winter Or NingNing.

Going in my fav was Giselle.

And for the MV I really liked NingNing. She's is my MV fav.

Winter was extremely pretty too.

Haha... It's up in the air.

li-ghter likes this.
  10. barnaby

barnaby Public Figure

Currency:
    Your review perked my interest. So, I gave the video a view. It was.underwhelming to say the least. Way too repetitive. One woman sounded like rose and I can't stand her voice. This is Not for me, but it seems people are gravitating towards this sound in kpop. I'm sure they'll be successful.

bahleykeys and emanresu like this.
  11. li-ghter

li-ghter Celebrity

Currency:
    with this bias list you will have easier time if you stan all of them eman omg :sketchyk: you can wait for live stages too, i think we will all have bias changes when those are out lol :cryingk: GOD KNOWS I WANT TO SEE THE CHOREO

emanresu likes this.
  12. li-ghter

li-ghter Celebrity

Currency:
    tbh majority feel like this (minus rose part) finding song underwhelming from what i see, but appreciating girls' talent instead o.o

emanresu likes this.
  13. huRRicane8

huRRicane8 Trendsetter

Currency:
    Agree, I can't imagine Blackpink with this song, no. But I can itzy

z1 and emanresu like this.
  14. emanresu

emanresu Tzuyu Fanboy

Currency:
    Sorry you didn't like it! It's not usually my style of song but I ended up liking it.

Maybe next time they'll release something you like.

15. emanresu

emanresu Tzuyu Fanboy

Currency:
    I feel like I'm the only one who likes the actual song haha. That was my favorite part of the whole thing.

Eithra, aespa-von and li-ghter like this.
  16. li-ghter

li-ghter Celebrity

Currency:
    Song is a grower for me, so I like it o.o I still think SM could choose something better (i cant understand lyrics for starters T^T) but its definitely one of the good debut songs tbh <.<

emanresu likes this.
  17. aespa-von

aespa-von Trainee

Currency:
    Loved the song so much. Cant imagine itzy in this, only yeji could be able to perform these notes especially the bridge part.