Does the Western industry respect BTS?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by ddonore, Nov 10, 2019 at 9:00 PM.

1. ddonore

ddonore Trainee

Currency:
    Story time:

My local Top 40 pop radio station has a morning show with two hosts (note: this is nowhere near LA). Back when BTS was promoting BWL in the States, these hosts landed an interview in LA with the boys. Prior to this, they never once mentioned BTS or played any of their songs. The day before the interview, they talked about how thrilled they were and to tune in. During the interview, they fawned over the boys and acted like huge supporters, after which they immediately played BWL. I was really excited, because I thought this would finally wake them up to the biggest act on the planet! ...They never played it again. They only cared enough to get a video interview to post to their social media, which has a ton of views and response.

Fast forward to now. The same DJ’s are promoting Jingle Ball. Every time Jingle Ball is mentioned on the station, they talk about how all the big name acts are going to be there, then proceed to list every act except BTS. I’m not kidding, they discuss how stoked they are to include French Montana, yet BTS doesn’t even come up. Imagine my frustration...

I feel like BTS still is not receiving the industry recognition that they deserve. They are the biggest act in the world- cities are lighting up purple for them, yet I feel they are seen as nothing more than a ratings generator or a passing fad. Now everyone is talking about whether or not the biggest act of the year will get nominated for a Grammy. I feel like they will, but only in a sub-category (like best collab or something) as a method to get them to perform for a TV ratings boost. And I don’t see the industry voters respecting them enough to give them the win.

I really hope I’m wrong. I hope the boys get nominated for a Grammy and win, so they can have “Grammy-award winning artist” in front of their name forever!

2. Queeeenie

Queeeenie Leader

Currency:
    They don't
    And I am not surprised about it, at all
    It has been a fight for them to get this far
    It will only get harder as they go up

3. Babybluehun0327

Currency:
    Coming from an American:

People like things in English. I’ve heard subtitled movies are quite popular in other countries. It’s not a thing here at all. The USA is a very ethnocentric country. It’s just how it is.

4. paradise52

paradise52 Rookie

Currency:
    Getting more juice than Hi-C
    It really is, most movies coming from the US have both dubbed an subbed session, one more than another depending on the target demographic, the only things I watch dubbed are things I'm attached to the voice actor such as old movies and cartoons.

didi2802 and BridgesIBurned like this.
  5. Neurotic02

Neurotic02 Super Rookie

Currency:
    Honest answer, a bit of them yes
    99% of them just abuse army for their own clout

Such a clown

6. dispatchme

dispatchme Trainee

Currency:
    Maybe it's only Europe thing but it's beyond my imagination to only listen to music and watch movies in my own language. How people can restric themselfs like that?

7. fancynayeon

fancynayeon Trainee

Currency:
    Working At Twiceland
    most western artists are aware bts have a really big fandom meaning they could gain more attention towards them

i mean even stans trended BeyhiveXArmysstreamingparty LittleMonstersXArmysstreamingparty to get their faves album streams from armys and try a fandom alliance to get bigger streams first week

8. minalicious

minalicious Newbie

Currency:
    Armys need to face the facts: The West use BTS for views and clout. They don't respect them and are casual listeners at best. They only care for those boys when they need more views and streams from Armys.

PatheticBadger and shunye like this.
  9. katahtattat

Currency:
    which industry?

these djs are probably just reading promotional material written by pr people.

Gold_Chilli, Haolat and Valent04 like this.
  10. fandomvibes99

fandomvibes99 Newbie

Currency:
    Americans do respect RM, who is the only one who speaks English well

11. B0TMY

B0TMY Newbie

Currency:
    Some of them might but the industry folk don't. They acknowledge their huge presence and following but don't look at them as artists with longevity. Despite all the negativity though, i think BTS are starting to show that they aren't just a group with a huge presence on SNS and a super active fandom because they're being mentioned throughout the pop industry and most people know who they are or have heard of them before compared to 3-4 years ago.

Will they ever come around to respecting them ? i honestly doubt it for tons of reasons but regardless, a lot of progress has been made and they've definitely made big enough waves to get people talking which is something to be happy about.

MassiveKpopFan likes this.
  12. valkerie16

valkerie16 Trainee

Currency:
    most things in the entertainment industry are like that. If you've got a lot of influence or a big fandom, no one really cares about you as a person. It happens with music artists, youtubers, whoever has a big following.

It's unfortunate but it's nothing new. If Bts continues to grow, I'd see things changing but it'll take time and maybe possibly an image change? They're still seen as teenybopper boy-next-door type guys over here (mostly due to fandom). And no one has ever taken that image seriously, even if they were native English speakers from America

13. MassiveKpopFan

Currency:
    Student
    I don't think so. Random corporations just tag them whenever they want views or engagements

14. Redan

Redan Public Figure

Currency:
    Lazy student
    Are you sure it's not just layzness?
    Why would you prefer to watch an Anime or cool asian Action movie with bad english dub for example?
    To me as a foreigner that sounds really... :confused:

#14 Redan, Nov 10, 2019 at 10:29 PM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 10:35 PM
  15. shizuru

shizuru Trainee

Currency:
    Weird because I feel like I hear kpop a decent amount on the radio nowadays. Maybe it's just where I live but I even heard jopping a few days ago on the radio and thought it was super weird.
    Overall it's becoming better slowly, when armys used to request radioplay, the radio djs would literally toss out their cds and not even give it a chance :(

Queeeenie likes this.
  16. inluvOT7

inluvOT7 Super Rookie

Currency:
    No, but the guys use it to their advantage and reap the benefits, so I don't mind.

BlackpinkHouse likes this.
  17. BlackpinkHouse

BlackpinkHouse Super Rookie

Currency:
    This question just speaks to the insecurity of Kpop fans in general.

Why should we care what other people think? Why should BTS care? If i was RM or V or JK, i wouldn't give two tin farts about whether the crusty old men running the American music industry think about me. lol. I'm literally rolling in $$$, i have millions of fans, mostly young ladies, throwing themselves and their $$$ at me.

Korean labels don't give a flying crap about Western "respect", they only care about MONEY. The US music market is ginormous, 20 BILLION dollars a year. That's what the bands and labels want. Grammy awards and "respect" are ancillary to that.

Secondly, no Western artists care about "respect" either, and there are probably TONS of haters in the West that shit all over even the biggest stars like Swift, AG, Bey, etc. 99% of the Western music executives and journalists probably still make fun of Swift's singing, but you think she cares when she's rolling around with 350 MILLION dollars? Western music industry thinks Rihanna is over the hill and fat, but you think she cares when she's rolling around with 600 MILLION dollars? You saw how the Western music industry made fun of Camilla and Mendes for their fake relationship videos, or Ariana Grande for the news about her demanding to be carried like a baby backstage. You saw the hate that Halsey gets, people slamming her for calling her a slut, drug use, etc.

After all this, here is my opinion: the Western music industry as a whole views BTS as an Asian boy band. No more no less. There are some i'm sure who are super impressed with how they've managed to grow, there are some i'm sure who are racists who make fun of their looks, their English, whatever. But all in all, BTS is basically 1D reborn.

And please, for the love of God, can the Armys in here stop bitching about "clout". No shit people use BTS for clout. You know why? People in the music industry use EVERYONE for clout. Even those they may not like. This is like literally how business is done in the real world. You realize even BTS uses the West for clout? You think they went on SNL or Colbert for fun? You think they invited Becky G and Nicki Minaj and Ed Sheeran to collab for fun?

You think they would go to your local high school radio station or invite your street musician down the street to do a collab with them instead? lol cmon folks.

cassexotic, clio22, Haolat and 3 others like this.
  18. Kpopaesthetic1

Kpopaesthetic1 Celebrity

Currency:
    As an American army, sadly they don’t. Most people and all those vids, awards, or whatever use bts for clout only for the most part. If they were respected already they would already be winning so many awards in the US and win so many things but they aren’t. People sadly don’t like or also hate successful Asians especially successful kpop.
    :sweatr::sweatr::cryingk:

19. shizuru

shizuru Trainee

Currency:
    Exactly this lol :confused: I never understand why everyone is using bts and no one thinks about the benefits bts gets in return.

Anyway they are happy going to western stuff so idc about all this messy shit. People always overlook that the korean industry wasnt (great) to them either when they whine about how americans dont respect them enough, they'll be aight lads. People need to stop hovermomming their career with which shows 'deserve' their attendance or which celebs are worthy to collab with them or w/e

clio22 likes this.
  20. Valent04

Valent04 Super Rookie

Currency:
    I just think it’s weird when no one cares when kpop is being rude and elitist.

Let DJs do their job, BTS isn’t a household name out here