Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Does J-pop have lower visual standards?

Discussion in 'J-POP' started by dead_inside41, Feb 5, 2019.

1. dead_inside41

dead_inside41 Rookie

Hi there, I'm a casual listener of Jpop. I'm more of a hardcore Kpop fan but I do listen to Jpop since I like the music.

Recently I was watching AKB48 variety show clips with English subtitles and I can't help but notice the visuals. Most of the girls would never have debuted in Kpop, by Korean standards they would be considered ugly. I mean they're pretty I'm just saying from Kpop standards. As a half Korean my countries standards for visuals are sky high when it comes to idols but in Jpop that's not the case.

I don't know much about Japan so I wanted to ask. Does Jpop have low visual standards? Do they not care as much as Kpop does?

Please don't get offended by my question. I'm not saying they are ugly, they are very pretty. I'm just judging by Kpop standards.

topsyoxy and Sea_gull like this.
  2. Lulu_Key

Lulu_Key Legend

Astronaut
    They do have a visual standard, its just different from visual standard of Korea. Any culture and country have different visual standard, someone who might be considered beautiful in one country can be average in another.

A.Fishbowl, LYP, Sea_gull and 3 others like this.
  3. propanda

propanda Very Important Panda

Some of it is having different visual standard. To give more extreme example of this- crooked teeth were considered cute in Japan at least while ago, and there was even girls getting surgeries to get crooked teeth.

In other hand I think Japan prefers idols being charming more than beautiful. Even if you don't have perfect visuals, you can make up to it with your personality and performance.

4. dead_inside41

dead_inside41 Rookie

Yeah that's what I wanted to know. I wanted someone to tell me about the visuals standards they have. I'm not a hardcore Jpop fan so I don't know. I'm just curious.

Sea_gull likes this.
  5. dead_inside41

dead_inside41 Rookie

That makes sense. They are definitely more charming. I just saw this quiz battle thing with Nanami Yamada and Yui Yokoyama. One of them admitted to wanting to kiss the female members and the other one admitted to massaging their boobs.
    I was dead for 5 minutes from laughter. Their personalities come across more genuine while in Kpop it's the same looks and personality, since we Koreans mostly value looks over personality.

Sea_gull likes this.
  6. Garnet

Garnet ♡ Forever¹¹ ♡

Definitely. To me, J-pop idols tend to look more distinctive as well. I don't know for girl groups but I follow EXILE TRIBE groups and I was amazed at how casual they are as in they really don't cover up their flaws and they post selfies with no makeup on so you can see their skin isn't perfect. But in general, it seems like Korea has far bigger pressure on people to look flawless than Japan does. Also they're more accepting towards half Japanese and especially Blasians while as in Korea that's an issue. :/

I mean of course there are some ridiculously handsome guys though like Hiroomi Tosaka from J Soul Brothers or Kawamura Kazuma from THE RAMPAGE who tend to look a lot better than most K-pop visuals but such guys aren't really common though and then there are some members who I really wouldn't even consider attractive although they stand out a lot. I think it might depend on what you're exposed to though.

LYP and Sea_gull like this.
  7. dead_inside41

dead_inside41 Rookie

I agree. In Kpop everybody has the same face but in Jpop watching them on shows they have their distinct appearance that makes them stand out. I'm a blasian and you're completely right. I'm called "it" by members from my dads (Korean) side of the family.

Sea_gull and Garnet like this.
  8. Garnet

Garnet ♡ Forever¹¹ ♡

Wow, that's really rude of them. I hope that eventually Koreans can be accepting of everyone. :(

LYP and Sea_gull like this.
  9. milkyournipples

You have to remember most Kpop idols are fugly predebut, rely of stylists and plastic surgery just to be pretty. Japanese beauty standards are more natural and superior.

LYP, dead_inside41 and mkusa like this.
  10. dead_inside41

dead_inside41 Rookie

I know all about Plastic Surgery in Korea. On my dads side I'm Korean and my aunt gave me a nose job as a graduation gift (I refused)

11. dead_inside41

dead_inside41 Rookie

It's a colorism issue. They prefer lighter skin tones and since my mom is Nigerian I'm very dark. I don't look Korean at all

12. mkusa

mkusa Public Figure

^^^ This

Nearly all Kpop visuals are heavily manufactured through makeup and PS. There are exceptions, but not the norm.

Japanese beauty standards are indeed much more natural, and even to the point of desiring a look that is 'not' perfect. Hence the yaeba teeth......many refuse to fix their naturally protruding eye teeth. The idols, as well as those in female rock bands are much more natural, and IMO more beautiful than Korean idols.

Purely organic band. (Saiki has extreme yaeba)

and of course, the most beautiful women in rock

#12 mkusa, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    LYP and Korainism like this.
  13. dead_inside41

dead_inside41 Rookie

Like I said in the comment above I'm aware of PS in Korea.
    And I'm glad Jpop values natural beauty and personality more. Jpop idol are more fun wheres Kpop idols all act the same. Which is weird because from the outside Jpop seems more manufactured and Kpop. But when you look closely Jpop idols are more real.

14. JiminieKookie

JiminieKookie Leader

#SaveYourInternet| Stan A.C.E stan talent!
    Here are some faces for all of them who don't know that there can be extremly pretty people out there:

Batoshin (XOX)

batoshin.jpg

Hiroto (IVVY)

cats.jpg

Chiba (BUZZ-ER)

chiba.jpg

I could put a bunch more faces in, but I'm to lazy at the moment

dead_inside41 likes this.
  15. dead_inside41

dead_inside41 Rookie

Did you read my comments? I said Japanese idols are pretty and charming and more unique personality wise then K-pop idols. I was just asking because they look more natural and by K-pop standards they wouldn't be considered pretty. As a Korean my experience and yours are different. Nowhere did I say anything bad about J-pop idols. And you send me a death threat? @kyutiemir22 can you do something about this user please?

16. SooYoung

SooYoung A-List

☼ Be a slave for Sooyoung, Kun and Hayoung ☼
    ☼ In the dungeon throwing a party with SMNGG ☼
    in term of GG i don't feel

at the moment you're not too ugly to look good on a picture, i feel like they will take you

17. sexysonyeo

sexysonyeo Rookie

Hugging and kissing your Oppas
    I don't think they have a lower visual standard, just a different one.
    But they definitely do have lower standards for bgs.

18. CoolestPolarBear

Not lower visual standards, like they don't debut ugly idols, but they're less rigid with beauty stuff. Take Mesemoa.'s Nibansenji. He wears glasses, and has a slightly protruding right canine, not to mention his jaw is slightly square and he has two moles under his eyes (one in his lower eyelid and one at the top of his cheek). If he was in K-pop, we wouldn't even know he has glasses, and he would have gotten jaw surgery and corrected that tooth, not to mention he would usually wear makeup so his moles would be rarely seen. But, since he didn't do that, I can recognise him more easily, and he's more unique to me. I have a tiny bit of trouble with faces, and anyone whom I don't know intimately or that doesn't have prominent characteristics is easily forgotten by me. J-Pop idols I think are more natural.

19. A.Fishbowl

A.Fishbowl Public Figure

From what I rememeber when I was studying in Japan

They like light skin
    the crooked theeth is real
    They dislike the perfecty/plastic look SK sometimes have
    Nice handwriting?? for some reason??? that can be considered attractive
    Droopy eyes
    Also their make up is very different, very fluorecent pink?? I always assumed they liked kinda childish look
    Also, I have big cheeks, as in my face is quite round, and I got positive comments about it.... but I don't know if it's a tendency... or just something specific to me???

But also, when I was there, a lot of Japanese women were looking for foreigner boyfriends....
    Like.... every guy I met could get japanese gf in a blink, but it doesn't happen the othe way around

20. sandy32000

sandy32000 Newbie

There is no visual,

If you think A is beautiful , you can support her

(but nobody goes around comparing A with the army of 300/400 girls AKB48 has or terrorize and downgrade other members)

#20 sandy32000, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019