Want to join in on the discussion? It's easy to sign up!

Welcome to our community

Does it even matter if YG artists don’t get as many comebacks?

Discussion in 'K-POP' started by Kokopuffs, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Kokopuffs

Kokopuffs Star

The thing is, I feel like despite not having as many comebacks as groups from other companies it doesn’t really hinder their popularity?

I mean Blackpink was gone for a whole year and they came back and started breaking records with a mini album. And it’s not just blackpink a lot of YG artists have gone long periods without a comeback and when they did comeback they were always successful.

It might be bad for the artists yes but I don’t really think it hinders their popularity? I think if you just come back with a good song it’s going to be successful regardless...

Besides it’s nothing compared to how long western artists take to produce their albums :oops:

PocketFullOfRose likes this.
  2. Nebula_Star

Nebula_Star Artist

Watching kpop/kdramas till 2 in the morning
    I think BP’s hiatus was more of a strategy than a problem of comebacks/time

Get the fans hyped up over a few singles, starve the fans, and right as they start getting mad, release an album which gets huge hits because fans had a large anticipation

TzuyuIsYoda, 89TIFF, jjeoreo and 19 others like this.
  3. Kokopuffs

Kokopuffs Star

Maybe, I remember once CL said that YG was delaying their comeback on purpose to build more hype? I guess it’s possible haha

yoonbread and Nebula_Star like this.
  4. QueenJeonSoyeon

Yes it matters because some of them actually want to release music.

Lee Hi cried because she wanted to release new music.

TzuyuIsYoda, 89TIFF, utanim and 29 others like this.
  5. Kokopuffs

Kokopuffs Star

True, girls been waiting for an album since September :waterr:

JenJennie7 likes this.
  6. dooh

dooh Artist

For the artits i am sure it matters, but somehow they didnt lose popularity.
    I am not sure if its on purpose or not, who knows.

JenJennie7 and Kokopuffs like this.
  7. QueenJeonSoyeon

If the artist are fine with it I'm also fine with it because I don't want idols to overwork themselves so I don't wish for 3, 4, 5 comebacks every year... and I also don't wanna mention others but I when I see a group having a lot of comeback (everyone knows who I am talking about) I remember about this Seo article:
    There were so many schedules for Girls’ Generation that I just worked without doing anything else.”

She went on to share, “Living a life like that, I couldn’t even remember what I did just two days ago. Even when I looked in my diaries, I felt like a robot. Just work, and no emotions. One day, I realized that I shouldn’t live like this anymore.”

And I feel bad for idols that are probably waaay too over worked.

Normal amount of comebacks is okay. But I know some idols are overworked af.

So if the artist want to be free for 6, 7, 8 months go for it. Especially when you have the fans and fames and you won't be forgotten.

But I'm not ok with it when some of them actually want to release new music.

8. Redan

Redan Artist

Lazy student
    It's simply pissing me off that YG's strategy actually works. The fans who support this are part of the problem but on the other hand...It would be unfair to punish Blackpink for this. What should we do? I don't want to support YG's "My artists have to be mysterious" attitude but I don't want to ignore BP or Lee Hi just because I can't stand YG and his strategy.

89TIFF, utanim, NoCookie90 and 9 others like this.
  9. Kokopuffs

Kokopuffs Star

I agree,
    It kinda reminds me of Twice right now since I feel like they are also in a similar situation like Girls’ Generation with all of their comebacks and Japanese promotions.

10. hamster37

hamster37 Artist

Breaking records (digitally) doesnt really do much, it is the physicals and touring that counts

A group that doesnt comeback regularly will make them lose fans and hype more easily and they will have very limited songs which means it takes them years to actually hold a decent tour. Also if they lose fans, their physicals will be affected.

It is also harder for a group that doenst comeback regularly to get noticed by the public and thus they may have lesser commercial gigs

Ofc BP is an exception

Kokopuffs likes this.
  11. QueenJeonSoyeon

Yeah if I say anything or comment something like that on fb articles I'm suddenly a hater. I'm not really a stan, I like some songs but even if I don't stan someone I'm a bit worried for them.
    1 comeback a year is okay for groups that have the fame, otherwise it's better that they have 2 comebacks. BP doesn't need lots of comeback to stay popular that's for sure.

JenJennie7, lizvip and Kokopuffs like this.
  12. Kokopuffs

Kokopuffs Star

True, I guess YG is just really good at building hype around his artists and maybe that’s why they are usually never affected regardless of how long it takes for them to comeback.

Nebula_Star likes this.
  13. katahtattat

it obviously doesn't hinder their popularity. as far as for the artists, it's a case by case basis, and a lot depends what they do in the down time.

Kokopuffs likes this.
  14. Jessie

Jessie Artist

stripper
    He's doing black pink dirty. They're a group I can't stan because of his nonsense. They're the only group I've seen do well and come back as infrequently as they do.

Kokopuffs likes this.
  15. katahtattat

actually it's only the touring. physical is irrelevant when it comes to the actual music

16. lizvip

lizvip Star

I have no proble with it as long as the artist get money from other activities ( tours, acting, endorsements)

#16 lizvip, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Kokopuffs likes this.
  17. lizvip

lizvip Star

Bigbanv is an example actually.
    They have a comebck every 3 years and do very well.
    Lee Hi as well wih her 2 albums did well in each comeback, that took qprox 3 years each.

illumination and Kokopuffs like this.
  18. lizvip

lizvip Star

The money come fro tours. Digital give you awards and charts.

Kokopuffs likes this.
  19. hamster37

hamster37 Artist

yup my point, $$$ is always the priority for companies

Kokopuffs likes this.
  20. mirella

mirella Artist

rapline enthusiast
    I have no problem with hiatuses -- my favorite western artists take 2-5 years to release something, so I don't mind.

But at the end of the wait, I expect the music to be top-notch, something substantial I can listen to when the group disappears on their hiatus again. While I was waiting for iKON and WINNER comeback, I listened to Welcome Back and 2014 S/S.

See, I used to stan Blackpink, but their constant hiatuses and disappointing comebacks don't help matters.